Subaru WRX Forum banner

best location for sender on oil temp gauge

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
Just got Autometer oil temp gauge. They recommend install of sender boss into the oil pan (drill hole and weld in the boss ring that the sensor threads into)...

anyone know of a better location? possibly the oil filter adapter, or does the WRX have an external oil cooler (maybe tap into the outgoing line)?

To tap the oil pan, it must be removed so that drilled particles don't enter the inside of the pan... that's a pain in the rear. (new gasket, messy job, need perfect torque of oil pan nuts, need perfect location so that crank and rod assembly aren't in the way)...

Who's runnin oil temp gauges and how'd you install? I need help please.

#3 ·
use permatex ultra grey, best rtv ive found for oil contact. as good as subaru(or nissan, if you got it...had some left over from a timing chain cover job on a ka24 in a altima) ultra grey is REAL good stuff, just clean every surface off good with parts cleaner.

#5 ·
sealant instead of a cut gasket. autozone should have it...i get mine at napa. when you pull the bolts out, the pan will still be "glued " into place. you will need to insert a chisel-like object, ie screwdriver, between pan and block, and pry it away. then make sure the flange is straight when its off the car. razor blades are needed to remove most of the old sealant. clean well, then use carb cleaner or the like to remove oil from the flange and block. lay a 1/4" bead all the way around the pan flange, makin sure to go around the bolt holes. place the pan when youre done, and torque it into place. let it sit for a few hours, pref. overnight, to let the sealant set up, then fill with oil, and run. enjoy. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.