Subaru WRX Forum banner

Best Intake for optimum performance??

61K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  dumdum 
#1 ·
Hey everyone looking at getting a intake for my car and curious on which one or which couple are best? i have a agency power turbo inlet and a full exhaust header, uppipe, downpipe and and turbo back also got a walbro 255 fuel pump.....i am looking at also gettin 750cc injectors and bigger TMIC along with a tune ... I have looked at a injen CAI but i have kinda heard not so god reviews? also which is beeter for our car a short ram or cold air? also curious would a upgraded intake manifols help a good amount ???

#2 ·
i personaly think that short rams better. have had a bad experience when i had a cold air by the wheel well, lowerd car hit a puddle when it was raining sucked up water and was done for.
but if you dont have that issue of rain or puddles or even different placement on the filter...

#3 ·
If you get either, go with a name brand such as Perrin, or APS. But either route you go, you wont really get much, especially without a tune. So if you are getting it, go ahead and get the other parts and get a tune, might see some gains out of it, I doubt it be that much though.

#4 ·
Yah, I would have to agree with what these guys are saying. Although I personally find a short ram to be useless, because its in a awkward spot in your engine bay where its literally just sucking in hot air...so if anything I would assume you'd lose power from one, Although if you just want some noise it provides noise in lower RPM's where as the cold air screams at higher RPM's...I guess the cold air has some flaws too, since its longer it probably still sucks in some what hot air. Ultimately I'd have to say the cold air is most likely the better choice for power and as long as you avoid huge puddles/don't have a extremely dropped car it shouldn't be a problem most cars have the water shield any how which I imagine would help. If its any comfort for the whole sucking water thing up my friend has a integra with a cold air intake and stock the car is lower then ours and he has it dropped 2 inches front/rear and has zero problems and we get decent rain

#6 ·
I wonder if any WRX/STi owners with a fmic kept their stock hood scoop and made a custom air duct connecting that to their air filter to get all kinds of cold air into the engine. I guess the main issue with that would be scooping water, but it's a thought.. I guess.. Or maybe just re-route the intake so the filter is where the old tmic used to sit - but again with the water. Hmm... Don't drive when it rains.

#9 ·
What you guys are saying is making i was thinking cold air but my fear was sucking water ... my car isnt lowered it is just stock and i plan to keep it that way ! i know i wont be goin to get huge gains with minor stuff and i was also told to run stock intake until u get a tune so i was thinking injen.... but my buddy has a mazda 3 and he has a injen intake and he has had nothin but probs from the MAF so idk ### to do...... still kinda up in the air....

#10 ·
I run the Cobb SRI with the heatbox and have noticed (might be in my head, no actual data to back it up) a slight increase in throttle response and I dont know exactly but my intake temps never reach above 95 degrees now. Before they used to be higher. Today did a 3 hour poker run, ran the car hard when it was viable and it never broke 95 degrees.

#12 ·
I love the look of the Cobb SRI. Install was straight forward and very easy. I have gotten used to hearing the intake, turbo spool, and the BPV now. When I get my equipment back Im going to make one for my friend who has the SPT intake in his 07 Wagon.

Attachments

#13 ·
Do I spy that the Cobb SRI is running into the stock air dam and silencer? Looks good otherwise. The only thing I have done to my intake is the silencer delete from JSC speed and it's not really that loud or impressive. It's only slightly more noticeable without the silencer and I mean only slightly more noticeable.

#15 ·
I will have to get the girlfriend to hold the video camera while I drive. Trust me the intake and BPV are more than enough. Her daughter mimicks my car when she hears those noises now. I followed Cobbs directions to a "T" when installing it, this is their "ideal" setup supposedly. I like the look (of course, Im a Cobb whore, lol) and the sounds is alrite, sounds better than my girlfriends with the silencer delete and my buddies with the SPT intake.

#14 ·
What I use to do is run my short ram in the witner then my cold air in the summer but I just changed alot of stuff out with bigger and better and got the car tuned to cold air intake. So the cold air is staying on there now. and I dont plan on driving it in the winter much. they always sand the roads were im at and it chips the paint....... thats why I got the Yota lol :)

#16 ·
I have the Perrin SRI and boy do you hear the spool now...it sounds like a jet when I spool...it's louder than my exhaust and I have the full Helix Catless...I've always had a BOV so thats always been loud and I counter your cobb whoreness with my perrin whoreness

#17 ·
Its funny like that, those where my two choices, Cobb or Perrin, just happen to get the AP as my first power mod, been hooked ever since, just need the sways from them and I got all the "helpful" mods (even though I want the Cobb shift knob also, lol).

#18 ·
yeah the perrin turbo inlet was my first...now i've got the intake, shifter, sways, crank pulley, fuel rails, endlinks, shifter bushings, rad shroud, BOV, rad hoses, motor mounts, and PSRS, now I want the lateral links and subframe braces

#22 ·
I think the best way to find out the answer to the original question would be for someone to get their hands on a completely stock WRX or STi as well as every type of intake available for it on the market. Then put the car on a dyno in stock form and do several runs and then put every intake on the same car and do several runs with each one on and compare all the numbers. That test would make for some great data if anybody had the time and money to do it.

#27 ·
well thanks for the help guys now i gotta decided between the cobb or perrin i like the both but i guess i gotta decide who i want lol i have a agency power turbo inlet and i can hear turbo pretty good just from that .... i love that sound of it spooling like big diesel..... cobb or perrin ??? cobb or perrin???? oh the decisions!

#28 ·
I just last night installed my perrin inlet tube and the SPT short ram intake, so i decide im gona go cruse for a little today.. freakin rain water got onto the intake and soaked my MAF threw check engine light and car bogged horribly in the middle of the highway... gona have to make some kinda cover for it.. ANNOYING!!! but i gata say fitment is real nice.. holds factory hoses n stuff. inlet tube was a bit of a bitch to get in there tho lol

still need to take the rest of the airbox out of the fender...

#30 · (Edited)
Looks koo but very simple i think im gona make one.. mount it off the brackets above the boost control solenoid, something along thos lines... i see you left the rest of the stock air intake why is that? im just about to pop my fender off and take the last piece out.

LOL so i just did like a 10lb weight reduction.... there was a HUGEEEE amount of dirt/sand in my fender (to get stock intake out) holy crap i couldn't beleave it i should have taken a picture lol

#31 ·
If you can find someone that has one, its too easy to make. Me and a friend are going to make one for his 07, hes running the SPT. I left it in because the directions said so and I didnt want to have another car part laying around the house, lol.

#32 ·
i have been looking at a perrin big maf and the intake looks ba and they say it performs well but they warn you not to install unless your getting a tune .... so idk if i should go with somthing like that or if i should go with another one that dosnt need a tune granted iknow you need to get a tune for the upgrades you put on to get the most outta them but i am not fully ready to get it tuned want to get some other parts first before i get it tuned!!! idk has anyone heard any reports on the perrin big maf?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.