Best Intake for optimum performance?? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I have the Perrin SRI and boy do you hear the spool now...it sounds like a jet when I spool...it's louder than my exhaust and I have the full Helix Catless...I've always had a BOV so thats always been loud and I counter your cobb whoreness with my perrin whoreness

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Its funny like that, those where my two choices, Cobb or Perrin, just happen to get the AP as my first power mod, been hooked ever since, just need the sways from them and I got all the "helpful" mods (even though I want the Cobb shift knob also, lol).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#18 Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yeah the perrin turbo inlet was my first...now i've got the intake, shifter, sways, crank pulley, fuel rails, endlinks, shifter bushings, rad shroud, BOV, rad hoses, motor mounts, and PSRS, now I want the lateral links and subframe braces

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#19 Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dang what a list, I will slowly but eventually get there, lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
i got K&N typhoon cai. i love it. u here the turbo spool and get a nice sound from the bypass. i liv in chicago and we get snow and rain. my car went through a lot of rain puddles, still goin. if ## gonna go short ram, id do the aps, best quality
#21 Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I will have to get the girlfriend to hold the video camera while I drive. Trust me the intake and BPV are more than enough. Her daughter mimicks my car when she hears those noises now. I followed Cobbs directions to a "T" when installing it, this is their "ideal" setup supposedly. I like the look (of course, Im a Cobb whore, lol) and the sounds is alrite, sounds better than my girlfriends with the silencer delete and my buddies with the SPT intake.
You've peaked my interest then. The silencer delete elbow is a let down in my opinion. The SPT SRI intake on my wrx was a lot louder.

Edit: Does anyone else notice that this topic is OT anymore? It's mostly about how it sounds.
#22 Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think the best way to find out the answer to the original question would be for someone to get their hands on a completely stock WRX or STi as well as every type of intake available for it on the market. Then put the car on a dyno in stock form and do several runs and then put every intake on the same car and do several runs with each one on and compare all the numbers. That test would make for some great data if anybody had the time and money to do it.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#23 Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
My buddy made a CAI for his civic with some PVC pipe and a foam, washable filter lol. Cost him 15 bucks and he says he can feel a little gain from it. Not recommending this on a wrx but its an option haha.
#24 Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
that option ^^^^^^ is only for rice. !Laugh!

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#25 Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
lol, It actually turned out really good. It looks professional except for the fact that its PVC. But he also didnt have to worry about the MAF sensor, he drives a 90 civic. It sounds good when he gets on it lol but thats not saying much since its a honda.
#26 Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
i use a fujita F5 cai on mine. no problems with AFR or and puddle problems. good sound, great throttle response...
#27 Old 06-06-2009, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

MurderedWRX is an unknown
well thanks for the help guys now i gotta decided between the cobb or perrin i like the both but i guess i gotta decide who i want lol i have a agency power turbo inlet and i can hear turbo pretty good just from that .... i love that sound of it spooling like big diesel..... cobb or perrin ??? cobb or perrin???? oh the decisions!
#28 Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Clutch is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Send a message via MSN to Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedWRX View Post
well thanks for the help guys now i gotta decided between the cobb or perrin i like the both but i guess i gotta decide who i want lol i have a agency power turbo inlet and i can hear turbo pretty good just from that .... i love that sound of it spooling like big diesel..... cobb or perrin ??? cobb or perrin???? oh the decisions!
I just last night installed my perrin inlet tube and the SPT short ram intake, so i decide im gona go cruse for a little today.. freakin rain water got onto the intake and soaked my MAF threw check engine light and car bogged horribly in the middle of the highway... gona have to make some kinda cover for it.. ANNOYING!!! but i gata say fitment is real nice.. holds factory hoses n stuff. inlet tube was a bit of a bitch to get in there tho lol

still need to take the rest of the airbox out of the fender...
#29 Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Sounds like if you can find it, go with the Cobb SRI and their box. I have one and love it, install was simple and straight forward, not one problem yet.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#30 Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Clutch is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Send a message via MSN to Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Sounds like if you can find it, go with the Cobb SRI and their box. I have one and love it, install was simple and straight forward, not one problem yet.
Looks koo but very simple i think im gona make one.. mount it off the brackets above the boost control solenoid, something along thos lines... i see you left the rest of the stock air intake why is that? im just about to pop my fender off and take the last piece out.

LOL so i just did like a 10lb weight reduction.... there was a HUGEEEE amount of dirt/sand in my fender (to get stock intake out) holy crap i couldn't beleave it i should have taken a picture lol

Last edited by Clutch; 06-09-2009 at 08:57 PM.