Subaru WRX Forum banner

Best Intake for optimum performance??

61K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  dumdum 
#1 ·
Hey everyone looking at getting a intake for my car and curious on which one or which couple are best? i have a agency power turbo inlet and a full exhaust header, uppipe, downpipe and and turbo back also got a walbro 255 fuel pump.....i am looking at also gettin 750cc injectors and bigger TMIC along with a tune ... I have looked at a injen CAI but i have kinda heard not so god reviews? also which is beeter for our car a short ram or cold air? also curious would a upgraded intake manifols help a good amount ???

#33 ·
From Gruppe-S:
The Perrin "Big MAF" intake is ideal for larger than stock turbos that require increased airflow. This intake will allow the user to tune an aftermarket ECU safely and accurately by adding resolution in fuel maps and load columns, compensating for air fuel ratio, idle, and wide open throttle maps.

The PERRIN Performance™ Big MAF intake system is designed to prevent the Mass Air Flow output value from being pegged on heavily modified WRX engines. When using the factory MAF sensor and adding large amounts of boost the stock MAF sensor will max out and not allow additional compensation for air flow.

Not needed for VF turbos.

#36 ·
Have you looked into the AVO turbo inlet and intake filter ? My buddy had this setup on his 06 STI and he loved it. Its a little more spendy this way but from the turbo inlet all the way up to the intake filter, its one giant piece of silicon hose, so it will flow really good. Its probably a little harder to install and I'll probably do my TGV deletes at the same time i get this on so I can get a tune for both at the same time. Any ways, the inlet hose is like $299.99 I think and the MAF housing + filter is like $180. But I cant wait to get mine. These prices are off Rallitek.com. You can probably find them cheaper if you look around though. This intake is for "larger then stock" turbo's, but I do plan on upgrading my turbo eventually. You should also think ahead about your future plans for your car before you just throw an intake on there.

#37 ·
I have re-read through this, and I see the problem you are havin. My tuner tuned a WRX with a 20G and an STI I/C, injectors, and DP, stock intak, and gt 330+ HP out of the car. But if you are having troubles what does your tuner suggest?

#38 ·
Yea the 20g is big and I didn't think it will f up the maf neither but it did because when I unplugged the maf sensor it hit boost. Not as hard but it hit. So the 20g did f up the maf sensor.
I havent gotten it tuned yet. I am going to be doing an opensource tune pretty soon.

#43 ·
wow sorry for not replying sooner i am in el paso tx working on fort bliss and been extremely busy!! but i am glad i asked about the perrin big maf becuz my birthday was just last week and my dad asked ### i wanted and i jokingly said get me a cai for my car and he went for it so i didntg argue lol when he asked which one i told him a perrin cai is ### i was looking at and he had found the perrin big maf and said he was thinkin of getting me that one .... now that i know that its for heavily modded wrxs i wont go with it ... thansk for the info it has been real helpful!!! now to go back to drawing board on which one i want lol

#44 ·
Like said earlier,you cannot use the Perrin big MAF without a custom tune or you can kiss your engine good bye.Your will run incredibly lean.

"NOTE: Requires aftermarket ECU Tuning. "
Perrin Performance - Intake Short Ram BigMAF

And from the installation instructions:
"NOTE: THIS INTAKE SYSTEM IS NOT DESIGNED FOR USE ON
OTHERWISE STOCK VEHICLES. PROPER TUNING USING AFTERMARKET ELECTRONICS ARE REQUIRED FOR PROPER AIR/FUEL
METERING, TIMING AND BOOST PRESSURE. INSTALLATION ON ANY VEHICLE WITHOUT PROPER COMPENSATION WILL CAUSE
CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE! PERRIN PERFORMANCE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF
INSTALLATION! CONTACT YOUR DEALER OR TECH@PERRINPERFORMANCE.COM"

And yes,the Big MAF is considerably bigger than the SPT.......................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.