Best Intake for optimum performance?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MurderedWRX is an unknown
Best Intake for optimum performance??

Hey everyone looking at getting a intake for my car and curious on which one or which couple are best? i have a agency power turbo inlet and a full exhaust header, uppipe, downpipe and and turbo back also got a walbro 255 fuel pump.....i am looking at also gettin 750cc injectors and bigger TMIC along with a tune ... I have looked at a injen CAI but i have kinda heard not so god reviews? also which is beeter for our car a short ram or cold air? also curious would a upgraded intake manifols help a good amount ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

winglesswrx is an unknown
i personaly think that short rams better. have had a bad experience when i had a cold air by the wheel well, lowerd car hit a puddle when it was raining sucked up water and was done for.
but if you dont have that issue of rain or puddles or even different placement on the filter...
post #3 of 44 Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you get either, go with a name brand such as Perrin, or APS. But either route you go, you wont really get much, especially without a tune. So if you are getting it, go ahead and get the other parts and get a tune, might see some gains out of it, I doubt it be that much though.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yah, I would have to agree with what these guys are saying. Although I personally find a short ram to be useless, because its in a awkward spot in your engine bay where its literally just sucking in hot air...so if anything I would assume you'd lose power from one, Although if you just want some noise it provides noise in lower RPM's where as the cold air screams at higher RPM's...I guess the cold air has some flaws too, since its longer it probably still sucks in some what hot air. Ultimately I'd have to say the cold air is most likely the better choice for power and as long as you avoid huge puddles/don't have a extremely dropped car it shouldn't be a problem most cars have the water shield any how which I imagine would help. If its any comfort for the whole sucking water thing up my friend has a integra with a cold air intake and stock the car is lower then ours and he has it dropped 2 inches front/rear and has zero problems and we get decent rain

Dream Evil
post #5 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
Subiesport mag did a test a while back, and the AEM is the one that didn't mess with AFR too much. The Injen made the most power, but also was the one that really messed up the AFR. I would say run the stock one with a good filter, unless you go FMIC.
post #6 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I wonder if any WRX/STi owners with a fmic kept their stock hood scoop and made a custom air duct connecting that to their air filter to get all kinds of cold air into the engine. I guess the main issue with that would be scooping water, but it's a thought.. I guess.. Or maybe just re-route the intake so the filter is where the old tmic used to sit - but again with the water. Hmm... Don't drive when it rains.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I wonder if any WRX/STi owners with a fmic kept their stock hood scoop and made a custom air duct connecting that to their air filter to get all kinds of cold air into the engine. I guess the main issue with that would be scooping water, but it's a thought.. I guess.. Or maybe just re-route the intake so the filter is where the old tmic used to sit - but again with the water. Hmm... Don't drive when it rains.
I've seen it done before on Imprezas...but I think there'd be a clearance issue withe the FMIC piping to try and route an air duct for an intake

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
KoneKiller over on NASIOC runs this setup on SUXASS, his race car.
post #9 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

What you guys are saying is making i was thinking cold air but my fear was sucking water ... my car isnt lowered it is just stock and i plan to keep it that way ! i know i wont be goin to get huge gains with minor stuff and i was also told to run stock intake until u get a tune so i was thinking injen.... but my buddy has a mazda 3 and he has a injen intake and he has had nothin but probs from the MAF so idk ### to do...... still kinda up in the air....
post #10 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I run the Cobb SRI with the heatbox and have noticed (might be in my head, no actual data to back it up) a slight increase in throttle response and I dont know exactly but my intake temps never reach above 95 degrees now. Before they used to be higher. Today did a 3 hour poker run, ran the car hard when it was viable and it never broke 95 degrees.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Awesome i want to get a run together up here in the lovely state of wisconsin lol maybe during the fall do a fall color run upnorth.... but i looked at the cobb intake just hadnt heard any feed backso .... thanks alot !!!
post #12 of 44 Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedWRX View Post
Awesome i want to get a run together up here in the lovely state of wisconsin lol maybe during the fall do a fall color run upnorth.... but i looked at the cobb intake just hadnt heard any feed backso .... thanks alot !!!
I love the look of the Cobb SRI. Install was straight forward and very easy. I have gotten used to hearing the intake, turbo spool, and the BPV now. When I get my equipment back Im going to make one for my friend who has the SPT intake in his 07 Wagon.
Attached Images

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #13 of 44 Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Do I spy that the Cobb SRI is running into the stock air dam and silencer? Looks good otherwise. The only thing I have done to my intake is the silencer delete from JSC speed and it's not really that loud or impressive. It's only slightly more noticeable without the silencer and I mean only slightly more noticeable.
post #14 of 44 Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
What I use to do is run my short ram in the witner then my cold air in the summer but I just changed alot of stuff out with bigger and better and got the car tuned to cold air intake. So the cold air is staying on there now. and I dont plan on driving it in the winter much. they always sand the roads were im at and it chips the paint....... thats why I got the Yota lol
post #15 of 44 Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Do I spy that the Cobb SRI is running into the stock air dam and silencer? Looks good otherwise. The only thing I have done to my intake is the silencer delete from JSC speed and it's not really that loud or impressive. It's only slightly more noticeable without the silencer and I mean only slightly more noticeable.
I will have to get the girlfriend to hold the video camera while I drive. Trust me the intake and BPV are more than enough. Her daughter mimicks my car when she hears those noises now. I followed Cobbs directions to a "T" when installing it, this is their "ideal" setup supposedly. I like the look (of course, Im a Cobb whore, lol) and the sounds is alrite, sounds better than my girlfriends with the silencer delete and my buddies with the SPT intake.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"