Best Guages for a 2- or 3-Guage A-Pillar Cluster - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Best Guages for a 2- or 3-Guage A-Pillar Cluster

This may sound like a novice question, but what are the best guages to put in a 2- or 3-guage A-pillar cluster on an '04 WRX?

This is one example:

1. Boost [psi],
2. Oil temp, and
3. Oil pressure.

And is installation a straight forward DIY exercise, or am I going to need a performance shop to do it?
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Not a fan of a-pillar. They reflect off the window.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
I'd go with boost, egt, and oil pressure first myself.

The reasoning for boost and oil pressure are pretty obvious, although both are a must know. And the egt will give you a general indication of air/fuel and your knock/detonation thresholds. It'll also give you fair warning when you're pushing to hard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #4 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
boost, air/fuel ratio, and exhaust gas temp. Just my opinion. No performance shop needed if you have ever wired anything in a car before. Power , ground, and sensor which usually has a pre-wired connector. simple as that!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #5 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have three Prosport peak/warn gauges (boost, exhaust gas temperature, and oil pressure) mounted in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod which came painted light grey to match the stock trim. Fitment is pretty good - I'd give it a 9/10 because you can see some marks around the top edge where it was trimmed, but it's only really noticeable if you look directly at it. There's also a tiny little gap where the headliner isn't completely covered where it was by the stock A-pillar cover, but that's getting really nitpicky. The surface texture matches the stock trim pretty well. I actually only have it held in by one screw at the top (which I had to drill into the A-pillar) - the bottom screw is just for show (because there wasn't enough clearance for the drill), but it's solid because there's a plastic tab that holds the bottom in place. The green backlighting, although it matches fairly close, is brighter than the gauge cluster at night and I've been told people driving behind me can see them through my black glass (which is tinted 35%). You can also see them clearly through the driver's window if you're driving next to my car at night (also tinted 35%). From a driver's perspective though, glare/reflection on the driver's window is not an issue. Having both oil pressure and oil temperature gauges would be redundant. There are plenty of good write-ups available online, so it's definitely a DIY job if you take your time and pay attention to the details. Fuse taps made my install super easy and they're completely reversible.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Thanks folks, this is great input.

I agree oil pressure and temperature are a little redundant, so if I can't find an surplus OEM unit I'd consider a twin guage cluster for boost and oil temp like this SMY Clustermaker Dual Guage Pod:
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #7 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I plan on buying that cluster setup from them as well. It's very clean an OE looking which I love!

post #8 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Big easy is an unknown
Why do you guys all like the exhaust gas temp gage over a wideband air fuel ratio gage.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Big easy is an unknown
Oh and GLOWSHIFT has some nice gauges and usually some pretty good deals.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big easy View Post
Oh and GLOWSHIFT has some nice gauges and usually some pretty good deals.
*rubs eyes* Did....you really say that? Please don't ever post advice again.

Glowshift is garbage.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Admittedly, Prosport gauges are considered to be borderline garbage too. I got mine for general monitoring, but mostly for show. If I was actually using my gauges to tune my car and keep an extremely close eye on everything all the time, I would have gone with Defi gauges and a wideband AFR gauge. Generally, the more you pay, the more accurate the gauge will be. For my purposes, I'm willing to live with a 10% (+/-) variance. After several years, the needles still move and they seem to be somewhat accurate so I'm a satisfied customer.

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Admittedly, Prosport gauges are considered to be borderline garbage too. I got mine for general monitoring, but mostly for show. If I was actually using my gauges to tune my car and keep an extremely close eye on everything all the time, I would have gone with Defi gauges and a wideband AFR gauge. Generally, the more you pay, the more accurate the gauge will be. For my purposes, I'm willing to live with a 10% (+/-) variance. After several years, the needles still move and they seem to be somewhat accurate so I'm a satisfied customer.
Well said.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #13 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
A gauge not providing accurate readings is a gauge not doing its job.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
A gauge not providing accurate readings is a gauge not doing its job.
But it's still lighty and flashy and movey and pretty!!! <3

John
07 WRX
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Garage
^^LOL^^