Subaru WRX Forum banner

Best Guages for a 2- or 3-Guage A-Pillar Cluster

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
This may sound like a novice question, but what are the best guages to put in a 2- or 3-guage A-pillar cluster on an '04 WRX?

This is one example:

1. Boost [psi],
2. Oil temp, and
3. Oil pressure.

And is installation a straight forward DIY exercise, or am I going to need a performance shop to do it?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd go with boost, egt, and oil pressure first myself.

The reasoning for boost and oil pressure are pretty obvious, although both are a must know. And the egt will give you a general indication of air/fuel and your knock/detonation thresholds. It'll also give you fair warning when you're pushing to hard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
boost, air/fuel ratio, and exhaust gas temp. Just my opinion. No performance shop needed if you have ever wired anything in a car before. Power , ground, and sensor which usually has a pre-wired connector. simple as that!

#5 ·
I have three Prosport peak/warn gauges (boost, exhaust gas temperature, and oil pressure) mounted in a Lotek triple A-pillar pod which came painted light grey to match the stock trim. Fitment is pretty good - I'd give it a 9/10 because you can see some marks around the top edge where it was trimmed, but it's only really noticeable if you look directly at it. There's also a tiny little gap where the headliner isn't completely covered where it was by the stock A-pillar cover, but that's getting really nitpicky. The surface texture matches the stock trim pretty well. I actually only have it held in by one screw at the top (which I had to drill into the A-pillar) - the bottom screw is just for show (because there wasn't enough clearance for the drill), but it's solid because there's a plastic tab that holds the bottom in place. The green backlighting, although it matches fairly close, is brighter than the gauge cluster at night and I've been told people driving behind me can see them through my black glass (which is tinted 35%). You can also see them clearly through the driver's window if you're driving next to my car at night (also tinted 35%). From a driver's perspective though, glare/reflection on the driver's window is not an issue. Having both oil pressure and oil temperature gauges would be redundant. There are plenty of good write-ups available online, so it's definitely a DIY job if you take your time and pay attention to the details. Fuse taps made my install super easy and they're completely reversible.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks folks, this is great input.

I agree oil pressure and temperature are a little redundant, so if I can't find an surplus OEM unit I'd consider a twin guage cluster for boost and oil temp like this SMY Clustermaker Dual Guage Pod:

Attachments

#11 ·
Admittedly, Prosport gauges are considered to be borderline garbage too. I got mine for general monitoring, but mostly for show. If I was actually using my gauges to tune my car and keep an extremely close eye on everything all the time, I would have gone with Defi gauges and a wideband AFR gauge. Generally, the more you pay, the more accurate the gauge will be. For my purposes, I'm willing to live with a 10% (+/-) variance. After several years, the needles still move and they seem to be somewhat accurate so I'm a satisfied customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.