Best BOV for a wrx - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

kawaigng is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
We already have a blow off valve on the car. And it works well. So adding another one in its place does NOT add performace to your car, only bling/noise.

Of course I am not means to add an extra one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i dont THINK what comes on the car is considerd a BOV, but it performs the same function, but it vents into the airbox (or somehwere along the intake) as aposed to venting into the autmosphere like an aftermarket BOV.

but there in NO performance gain regardless of the type style color or cost
post #18 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
i dont THINK what comes on the car is considerd a BOV, but it performs the same function, but it vents into the airbox (or somehwere along the intake) as aposed to venting into the autmosphere like an aftermarket BOV.

but there in NO performance gain regardless of the type style color or cost
Don't they call the stock one an air bypass valve?
post #19 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

ToyMachineAR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ToyMachineAR
Yes.. they do.. thats because it "bypasses trapped air to another point.."
BYPASS means to, oh, idk, reroute it somewhere else.. while to "BLOW IT OFF" means to just get rid of it..
Good job though.. clever one you are..
They BOTH have the same object in mind however.. to remove that trapped air.
If you don't believe me, there are "umpteen" freakin' forums on here that will explain it EVEN further.

post #20 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Well, if the factory one throws the air into the intake box, wouldn't that air be hotter than the incomming air you'd pull from your intake? Assuming in real life situation that your IC can't cool better or equal to ambient temperature of the outside air... did that make any sense at all?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #21 of 65 Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyMachineAR
Good job though.. clever one you are..
Fck Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyMachineAR
I will fck off..... after I write you this rude message.. fcker.
I don't like stupid people.. SO, when I saw you ask a stupid question, I assumed you were a stupid person.. am i wrong? tell me that i am, and ill.. "fck off".. if im not wrong (and i WONT let you be the judge), then YOU ... fck off.
I didn't think it was that stupid of a question.....

Last edited by panasyncp17; 06-29-2005 at 05:04 AM.
post #22 of 65 Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
is there any performance gain to venting it? my wrx is completly stock.
No. No benefits. But no drawbacks either. The main reason I would suggest one is when running high boost levels. The stock bypass valve tends to leak past 18-19 psi or so.
post #23 of 65 Old 06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Turbo_WRX is an unknown
quick question, how much will the HKS SSQV hold? I'm at 25 psi and i think it might be leaking....
post #24 of 65 Old 06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_WRX
quick question, how much will the HKS SSQV hold? I'm at 25 psi and i think it might be leaking....
Please tell me that you have just not upgraded your parts list in your profile...If you are running 25psi on stock turbo/IC/fuel system then you have bigger worries than losing a little boost.
post #25 of 65 Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_WRX
It should hold up to 30 psi. What kind of turbo are you running to make 25 psi? Are you still on the stock block/heads?
post #26 of 65 Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

mrpoman99 is an unknown
Whole lot of confusion going on. If your going to get one, go with the dual ports. I have a Turbosmartdual dual port 50/50 or what ever you wish, fully adjustable either way. If you have a standard BOV it will plug the recirclation valve, the ECU will still think the air is being cycled, so you'll run rich. Over time this isn't good, and the benefit of a 50/50 is that you'll get the protection for your turbo from the atmosphere blow off, to keep your turbine spinning, less lag, and the recirclation dump like the stock, so your 4 stroke will be fine and dandy. Best of both worlds. Down side is they are expensive, Mine was $280. That was even a good deal. Cool? -POMAN
post #27 of 65 Old 06-30-2005, 02:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
No. No benefits. But no drawbacks either. The main reason I would suggest one is when running high boost levels. The stock bypass valve tends to leak past 18-19 psi or so.
thank you
post #28 of 65 Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoman99
Whole lot of confusion going on. If your going to get one, go with the dual ports. I have a Turbosmartdual dual port 50/50 or what ever you wish, fully adjustable either way. If you have a standard BOV it will plug the recirclation valve, the ECU will still think the air is being cycled, so you'll run rich. Over time this isn't good, and the benefit of a 50/50 is that you'll get the protection for your turbo from the atmosphere blow off, to keep your turbine spinning, less lag, and the recirclation dump like the stock, so your 4 stroke will be fine and dandy. Best of both worlds. Down side is they are expensive, Mine was $280. That was even a good deal. Cool? -POMAN
That is incorrect. An atmospheric vent BOV will not make your car run rich. The stock bypass valve "protects" the the turbo just as much as an aftermarket BOV does, they just do it in different ways.

In fact, most problems are reported from 50/50 valves.
post #29 of 65 Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx27 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrx27
So cosmo, i know this had been rehashed again and again but i want to be sure. I have a slightly modified 04 wrx sedan. I have helix catless flex uppipe, and helix downpipe. Thats about it for performance mods. I did the intake silencer removal and plan to add cat-back very soon. Anyways - I just picked up a used HKS ssq BOV for a very good price. If installed correctly will i have any issues? I dont plan on doin too many more mods. I know the aftermarket BOV is purely for sound unless you go with bigger turbo, higher boost setup, etc. but i love that sound!
post #30 of 65 Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

No, you won't have any problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement