Best bang? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
MrB
WRXtuners Member

MrB is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to MrB
Hi, I'm new here and don't drive a WRX unfortunately... in fact, a S/C'ed Solara. One of my friends owns a WRX and after he's sat in my car countless times, he's starting to think about fixing up his car. I know with everyone in the beginning, we all want the best bang for the buck and if it was for a Toyota or Honda, I would know what to do... but what would you suggest for the WRX? He's got an automatic hindering him so no short shifter kit. I would think an exhaust system around 3" to free up the turbo? A piggyback chip upgrade? Thanks for the help guys.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
Intake or exhaust is good for power. A new rear sway bar 22mm will help the handles.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
I'd do a catless uppipe and a MBC to start with, but make sure he watches his EGTs. That should be less then $350 and make a huge improvement over stock.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
MrB
WRXtuners Member

MrB is an unknown
What's a MBC?

I just talked to him and he's wondering about chips more than anything else right now. I tried to look at some things and all I found for chips are ProDrive or Unichips? Would you suggest either of these or have a better suggestion? His only fear right now is if it's safe. I told him of course, but just wondering, is it?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Safe is a relative term! MBC stands for Manual Boost Controller. Compared to a chip its much cheaper, but not as safe a mod. The Unichip is the one people in the US have been using. TurboXS offers one with a harness so it's plug and play.

Either way, you'll be messing with at least the boost on the car, and with that you need to keep an eye on things like exhaust temperature, boost levels, and air-fuel ratio or else very bad things can happen!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
MrB
WRXtuners Member

MrB is an unknown
Ah, gotcha. I already told him about the gauges and everything so we'll get those as soon as he gets a chip or what not. I just checked out TurboXS' page and I think we found a winner. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with the Stage 1 kit they're selling. My buddy doesn't want his car to be loud at all and if that exhaust is too loud, he won't like it. So just curious as to how their exhaust sounds or if there was another exhaust you would suggest. Thanks again!

-Brian
post #7 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
There is a reciew i=of it here on the mods section. I like the kit myself but the exhaust is definitely louder than stock. You sould just go with the unichip and keep the stock exhaust, or get a different one than they provide.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
MrB
WRXtuners Member

MrB is an unknown
Ah, sweet. Thanks, I just read the install for the Stage 1. I appreciate everything guys. I love all cars so if you ever have a meeting out in SoCal, I'll try to make it with my friend. Thanks again!

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement