Before the turbo swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

flowmaster22 is an unknown
Before the turbo swap

Right now I am running Cobb stage 2, and will be installing an intake and lightweight pulley set, before getting a protune. Once I have these mods done, do you guys know of anything else that I can do performance wise before swapping out the turbo, injectors, etc. I am trying to hold off on that for as long as possible. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

04roadtuned is an unknown
from what i under stand all you get is accessport and a cat back exhaust right? i would go with an intake of Cobb's recomendation, a downpipe, up-pipe and you can lookinto a new turbo manifold from HKS, might not be cheap but thats what im going to go with. you can also look into a new intercooler setup, whether it be top mount or front mount, that is up to you. good luck with you endevour and i hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2006, 03:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
I'll save you the trouble, don't worry about buying any header for the USDM WRX. You'll never turn enough rpm's to notice it's benefits.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2006, 06:20 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster22
Right now I am running Cobb stage 2, and will be installing an intake and lightweight pulley set, before getting a protune. Once I have these mods done, do you guys know of anything else that I can do performance wise before swapping out the turbo, injectors, etc. I am trying to hold off on that for as long as possible. Thanks
Up-pipe,TVG delete,port/polished turbo,better TMIC,GT Spec air splitter,ported throttlebody...
post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
There are no more "major" mods that you can do that are going to gain you alot of HP like a downpipe or ECU tune. The next best thing you could probably do is a new IC before the protune. Headers aren't going to do much good, and if you plan on getting a new turbo sometime soon, I wouldn't get your turbo ported and polished. I have an extra set of stock exhaust & intake manifolds that I am going to sent out to get ported and polished, but I don't expect to see much of a gain from them. I will also heat wrap the exhaust manifold to help out with underhood temperatures.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

flowmaster22 is an unknown
whats the deal with a ported/polished turbo, i have never heard of this before? Also, what is the price to get this done for those of you who have done it?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
A port/polish is basically removing material for the turbo or whatever your working with and then smoothing it for better/increased flow. Porting is usually done by hand with a die grinder and carbide bits. I'm not saying this is the only way it's done, but it's the most common for smaller items like turbos and what not.

As for pricing, it's different wherever you go really. Deadbolt does really good port work. As for personal experience, I've always had Buschur do my portwork.

www.boostplanet.com
www.buschurracing.com

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2006, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
i wouldnt suggest the intake till about 400+hp

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement