Subaru WRX Forum banner

Basically stock 02 wrx @ 17psi

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JimmyJ 
#1 ·
I wanna run a race header, short ram intake, 2.5 catback with a manual boost controller tuned @ 17psi on the stock td04. Is this possible, and what are some little things I might need if any?

#2 ·
If that's your complete mod list and you're just looking for some extra power, there are several other things that I think most of us would recommend: aftermarket up pipe (since your car is older than 2005, it has a catalytic converter in the stock up pipe which can break apart and send material into the turbo at higher than stock power levels and cause catastrophic failure - it's mostly a safety mod if you plan to turn up the boost, but aftermarket up pipes are usually slightly larger and better designed so you'll probably get faster spool too), an aftermarket bellmouth style downpipe (which will really open up some power because the stock downpipe is arguably the most restrictive part on these cars), and finally, a tune (it's not good to just turn up the boost on these cars with a manual boost controller - there are several other things that need to be tweaked besides the boost in order to have reliable power - a generic off-the-shelf ecu map such as those that come with the Cobb AccessPORT would be better than nothing, but a protune would be the best thing to get).

For more information on these and other mods, check out this website:
Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

#3 ·
You can't run 17PSI with the stock exhaust system. It's much too restrictive.

Manual Boost Controllers are a bad idea. This is the 21st century. The computer controls boost.

Race Headers on a stock EJ205 are pointless.

#4 ·
Your best bet, and I believe the direction we're trying to point you in, is to build your car toward a basic "Stage 2" setup (downpipe, tune, and an up pipe, in your case). You can use your stock cat back for this setup since it's not horribly restrictive or you could get just about any aftermarket cat back that you like the look and sound of. Usually, it's at this point when people begin to start looking at aftermarket headers, intakes, fuel pumps, injectors, bigger intercoolers, and other supporting mods for a bigger turbo. Then you'll be able to run 17+ pounds of boost safely and effectively. It sounds like you might start to be getting caught up in the numbers game... resist the urge, my friend. Tune properly and the numbers will come.

#7 ·
Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to call you out like that, but that's the feeling I got reading your post and I just wanted to help you avoid some potentially negative consequences and try not to hurt your feelings at the same time.

I'd only recommend getting the Cobb AccessPORT because that's what I have and that's what I'm familiar with. It's a plug and play unit, very easy to use, and instantly delivers noticeable results - which sounds too good to be true, but for the ~$700.00 price tag, it does its job very well. The map specifications are listed on Cobb's website (CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT) and if you stick to those very closely, you'll be good to go. There certainly are other options available (some less expensive) which do pretty much the same thing, so try to read up on them and decide what's best for you. The "Engine Management FAQ" link in Unabomber's Manifesto on NASIOC is a great place to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.