Baller on a Budget - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sinac is an unknown
Post Baller on a Budget

Hey guys, whats up? I just bought a 2002 WRX and am now looking for performance upgrades. I was looking around the site and found a very helpfull section about stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades. It says in the Stage 1 section that you could do this for about $2000, but then i started looking at the parts list that it recomended and it would be next to impossible to get it done for under 2 grand. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where i could get qualty parts for someone on a budget. Im looking to spent around $2000.

Thanks
P.S. What is a good brand of performance parts that you would suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
best upgrade I did was a downpipe. I bought it from www.gruppe-s.com helix up pipe and down pipe combo was $450 shipped came with the CEL fix. The uppipe is not really needed but, since you practically have the turbo off you might as well install the catless uppipe for peace of mind for later mods. If you dont go with Helix, make sure the down pipe you buy is bellmouth so you get the most HP out of the aftermarket down pipe. As for finishing out the exhaust I went with HKS hiper catback(Helix DP + catback = turboback exhaust). Installed everything my self so I spent right around $1000. Next best power adder would be a Cobb AP(or TurboXS Utec if you want to tune it for around $1000). You can pick one of those up for around $600.

Stay away from grounding kits(yes I did it but it was a waste), underdrive pulleys, Boost controllers and Cold air intakes of any kind.

with the Exhaust and Cobb AP you will be putting out around 290 crankHP.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#3 Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Check NASIOC classifieds. I bought a turbo inlet hose, I/C hoses, crank pulley and intake that would normally cost more than $500 new, for about $320 used.
#4 Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
This is just a suggestion:

First do your whole suspension: springs + struts or coilovers, swaybars(at least the rear one) + endlinks and maybe strutbars and tie braces. Then do your brakes: rotors(I recomend slotted ones, I've had them before), pads and brakelines(braided) or if you wana get nasty and can find them for peanuts a big break kit(STI will be ok but I'd prefer Brembo GT, better rotors). Stickier-sportier tires are also a must, and if you upgrade to a big brake kit you'll also need bigger rims.

You'll find yourself driving a completelly different machine and if you add afterwards the TBE Jave told you you will then have a really fun to drive car, of course it all depends on what you want to do with your car, if drag is your thing this won't help that much, but then again, I don't think Subaru meant the wrx for dragstrips...

Just my suggestions...
#5 Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
How about this, Helix up-pipe down pipe combo 450.00 from Gruppe-s and The Helix cat back 500.00 also from Gruppe-s, then Better tires, front an rear sway bar with rear end links and lowering springs. That should be just under 2000 and it will give you power and better handling

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#6 Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the rims and tires I want are 2 grand...
#7 Old 09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc
the rims and tires I want are 2 grand...
Same here, but for now stickier maybe wider tires on stock rims will do
#8 Old 09-27-2005, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I picked up a Helix uppipe for about $125 new and a Helix TBE for $400 used. Then I got '01 Subaru RS rims & new 225/50/16 BFG Traction T/As for $450.

Just check around NASIOC for a while and don't jump on the first thing to see, you'll find a better price if you just hold out. You will learn real quick what stuff is worth by frequenting the site.
#9 Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
daddys sport compact performance gave me a hell of a deal on a stromung thermal coated down pipe and scored up pipe from the place everyone else is talkin about groupees or what ever. And as far as a utek look around your other fellow suby drivers out grow them as well and end up getting hydras. Found mine for 600 with map selector from another fellow suby lover. Good luck and have fun if you have a wife or girlfriend dont even try to explain they cant understand
#10 Old 09-28-2005, 04:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Ok... first off... you'll hear a 50/50 on where to put 2 grand: suspension (control the animal first) or power (turn that animal into a beast cause it already handles great). Personally I went the former cause yeah, you cant drive what you cant control (and I live on a place with LOTS of curves). Assuming you have the car, I would pass the struts, get the rear sway, some coilovers and UP/DP combo (unless you want a muffler). That will give you a COMPLETELY new car for under 2 grand and even less than 1500 if you find it used.

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
#11 Old 09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
i totally agree with you because I have found a few friends that have already outgrown their parts and since i am just starting its working out perfect look around and you ll find what your looking for but definately dont forget the all important ability to stop you can go and handle as fast as you want but you have to be able to stop too
#12 Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenthomas
i totally agree with you because I have found a few friends that have already outgrown their parts and since i am just starting its working out perfect look around and you ll find what your looking for but definately dont forget the all important ability to stop you can go and handle as fast as you want but you have to be able to stop too
Right... stopping is key (but, my opinion, don't go Brembo or Stoptech or anything like that unless you have lots of power; simply get new and better pads like some Hawk RPS).

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
#13 Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
if your only doing one power mod and ecutek or AP will give you more power then the turboback, better gas milege and just make the car run alot better. Tires are a must, springs rear sway rear strut with endlinks. Stoptech stage 2 package is real nice and its like 550 i think.
#14 Old 09-30-2005, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

woznin49 is an unknown
whats a baller
#15 Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
baller=highroller/cool/sly well u get it