AVO EWG setup - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to sorsy
AVO EWG setup

Hey there guys...i was wondering if anyone has done a EWG set up with a Avo 380 turbo...i was thinking of going with grimmspeed because their up-pipe has a flex joint in it (easier on gaskets) and their flanges are nice and thick. i have a AVO 380 turbo and instead of welding the IWG door shut grimmspeed makes a IWG bracket to keep the door shut, but i do not know what the AVO 380 turbo is comparable to.

20G/18G/65HTA
FP 3" inlet Green/Red turbo
TD04 Turbo
VF Series
turbochargers.com 18G

if anyone knows anything about this and can shoot some info my way that would be greatly appreciated!! thanks for you help! oh and i was also wondering which EWG to go with a 38mm or the 44mm tial. thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Not to be a jerk, but have you contacted Grimmspeed about it? I was interested in their EWG setup awhile ago, but had alot of questions about it and what parts it works with. I emailed them, the next day I had a very nice, professionally written, detailed email back from them. Sometimes its just better and easier to go to the source about things, they know their stuff.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
yes i did contact them and they could not give me an answer...this is what they sent

"We've never tested any of our current IWG brackets on that particular turbo before. There are so many different variations out there we can only make them for the most popular turbos. Since there isnt a IWG Bracket for your turbo you have a couple options, you have have a local exhaust/fab shop make one up for you quickly or you can have them weld your turbo wastegate door shut."

but i did not want to weld my IWG door shut so i am just lloking to see if anyone as done this mod or sometihng similar thanks for you help tho
post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do you already have the turbo? I always feel if the turbo is internally gated, used it. Otherwise, buy a turbo that is meant to be externally gated. All that goes out the window if you already have the turbo though.

-Chris
post #5 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
yep already have the turbo...the guy that did the tune on the car with the AEM EMS said that he has just got the car tuned so well that we can not get the exhaust gas out fast enough thats why when i get right into the throttle in any gear the boost will just creep right up to 25 psi...he also told me not to go over the 16 psi which i do not understand why...he also said that with any car with over 400 hp with a turbo should go to an EWG system...me being fairly new the the import tuner scene believed him...so i am not sure if this is true or my tuner is just an air head...which might explain why he is out of bussiness now lol ....thanks for the help guys!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I see, sorry about that. Thats not true about going over 400hp and needing to be EWG. It does help yes. But a good tuner should be able to solve those issues with either another tune, or maybe a better BCS. What exactly are your mods at this time?

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
Perrin FMIC, Perrin Turbo intake tube, Perrin BOV VTA, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, AVO 380 turbo, Sage fuel rails, 820cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, DC sports full 3" turbo back exhaust...but i was talking to the guy who owns lightspeed inovations and i think we have figured out the problem i was looking under the hood when i got the car back from the tunner and he has disconnected the EBC so thats why i am have the boost spike because there is no BC system on the car right now...if i could get my hads on that guy i would but thats probably why his shop closed down...cause of shitty work! thanks tho guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Grimmspeed is overrated. I have their EWG uppipe and it's certainly nothing special. I'd recommend turboxs.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Well glad to see that you found your issue. Hope you get your car back to running strong. Good luck.

WReXd, just curious as to your statement about Grimmspeed. I was looking into this and did a fair share of research. Seems like honestly the best two EWG setups to go with are either Grimmspeed or P&L.

Found these off the top of a search, there were numerous others that I read that far out weighed any "hype" about Grimmspeeds EWG.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-exhau...wg-uppipe.html
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1435370

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"

Last edited by newtothegame; 03-11-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Curiuosity