Auto vs Stick - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Dang should of learned stick I guess ... Here is a kind of random question in fact entirely off topic and you guys might not know a friend wanted me to ask hes got a Integra no turbo and he joined a forum for Integra's but apparently there not awfully helpful he has a exhaust on his car i think its 2.5 inch piping and like a 3 or 4 inch tip not sure exactly but some one had mentioned to him that he opened his exhaust up to much due to him not having a turbo which I guess would result in losing power if that were true because of no back pressure anyone have any idea of if that is accurate?

His car is automatic too btw and more specific specs if need be, 1998 integra GS hes got intake, exhaust with the inch specifications i mentioned above and I believe spark plugs and pcv valve

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 01:59 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Show this to your friend:CobbTuning.com - Exhaust Design, it mentiones non-turbo'd applications also. Might help do some explaining for him.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #18 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post

Going back to something I believe mosc said...So if you launch with a automatic car revving it in drive while holding down the break it will mess up my transmission? My dad was saying it should do any harm other then wear the brakes a bit or break pads i guess?

With all due respect, I think you're dad is thinking of muscle cars with high rpm torque converters in their trannys.

It is generally not wise to rev the engine while holding the brake (on an auto tranny), it induces extra strain/wear on drivetrain components over time

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #19 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
With all due respect, I think you're dad is thinking of muscle cars with high rpm torque converters in their trannys.

It is generally not wise to rev the engine while holding the brake (on an auto tranny), it induces extra strain/wear on drivetrain components over time
Yeah this could be possible as when he was a kid and into cars they were all old school big block v8 chevelles and what ever so yah that could be a possibility.

Also thank you for that link newtothegame I will be sure to show it to him.

Perhaps though I guess I should make my question a little clear say one races like once every few months at like a maximum and in those races one holds the break down would this increase ones performance and not really have a huge down side to the transmission since its being done on a rare occasion?

Dream Evil
post #20 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post

Yeah I know its not good I was used to a Camaro when I was doing that crap. They can handle the abuse alot better than a Wrx. I am not familiar with the auto in a Wrx because it wasn't even an option when I bought mine.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Dream, your friend has a small displacement normally aspirated car. This is different than your car. Car's can loose a fair bit of power from not having enough back pressure but this is much more rare on a turbo. The turbo itself creates a large amount of backpressure which is usually more than sufficient for the motor. As for your friend, I would think that 2.5" would not be that big a problem but then again, I'm not a honda guy. If he's still got his stock piping, he could try that?

Dream, there's this thing called a high stall torque converter you can use with an automatic (they even sell em for your car). This is what enables cars to rev from a stop with an auto. This is what your dad is probably assuming is in your car (which it does not have).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #22 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah he was actually mentioning that to me today when I was talking to him about it in more depth he was saying that if I only revved it up to somethin small like 1000 rpms it wouldn't do damage to the trans jus wear the breaks a bit...So how much does a high stall torque converter cost??

Dream Evil
post #23 of 25 Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I will admit that I just skimmed through this but... I didn't see the real issue discussed.. Depending on the race, which drag keeps comming up the choice is different. For anything but drag an stick is the way to go simply becuase you can keep the engine in the power band at all time (when possible). However for drag an automatic is a better choice when your compairing apples to apples.. Most of the time the automatics are NOT geared the same which is why the sticks will turn faster 1/4 mile times in the Subaru and Celica (2000 GTS) which I also have expierience with.. If both transmission were geared the same the automatic would turn much more consistant times which will win at the tree. It's not always about being the fastest more so who is more consistant and can hit their ETs.. However I run a stick and will always run a stick becuase it puts more on the driver and is simply more fun..

As for Netural drops, unless your 16 in your first POS car don't due this PERIOD..

As for break revs, this is also not something that I suggest.. It's one thing to do a break stand in a RWD, but it's another to heat up the transmission trying to push power to 4 locked wheels.. Just not an idea if you want your cars transmission to last...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #24 of 25 Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah Neutral drop I deff am not looking to do because I've always been told thats terrible for the car I just wasn't sure if "break revs" were so bad for the car as well.

Dream Evil
post #25 of 25 Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ok, end of story. Brake reving will put a ton of stress on the transmission and drivetrain. Let alone stress the brakes. Because your awd and you don't have a high stall torque convertor. Simply the fact that your awd, the following will happen. You'll have no tire spin and all the added stress will stay in the drivetrain. Basically pre/over stressing everything from the tranny the whole way out to your tires. The tires won't be affected, but everything else in between is. You can do it and get away with it for a period of time. But, it will come back to bite you in the ass eventually. Next subject, please!!!