Subaru WRX Forum banner

APS DR 500 Intercooler...

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
I know i saw somebody on this site with photos in the gallery for installation of the APS DR 500... who was it please???

I need to ask a few Q's about this intercooler....

i know it requires no mods of the frame, but do you have to modify your battery area to fit the piping? any other body mods to fit the piping, other than the shorty ram intake???

And is it setup to direct fit the stock WRX blow off valve???

Thanks for any help,

Ron

(how does anyone like this FMIC if they have been running it?)

#3 ·
got it...

found the pics in gallery... its 'theformula' that has the pics posted... they do appear to quite awesome... but i just hate to have red piping... my car is silver with a total 'blue' them going on from painted engine parts to blue leather interior... hate to hit the red hard... i'm thinking about axing the fog lights and getting the PERRIN front mount... it is quite large also and even bigger core than TXS front mount... (not as big as APS though).....

#4 ·
Re: got it...

REXronald said:
found the pics in gallery... its 'theformula' that has the pics posted... they do appear to quite awesome... but i just hate to have red piping... my car is silver with a total 'blue' them going on from painted engine parts to blue leather interior... hate to hit the red hard... i'm thinking about axing the fog lights and getting the PERRIN front mount... it is quite large also and even bigger core than TXS front mount... (not as big as APS though).....
IMO it'd be best to get the best front mount if its really necessary to have one. Besides, you could always just get new piping that's blue or silver.

#5 ·
wellp

I've done some checking around, and the PERRIN is actually larger than the APS... Its surface area is just about equal and its core is deeper...

So the PERRIN is a good unit... ANd as far as piping goes, APS does do their homework and is a bunch of austrailian engineers who know whats up with WRX's. So believe this... Every inch of piping on the APS has been mulled over with a fine tooth comb... and every bend is engineered to be perfect... They spread the bending of the piping over the largest possible area to make the bends as gradual as possible to ensure smooth air flow... The other units have more definite and sharper bends in them... But like i've said before... My conern is form and function... and i don't track race, i just want to be sure that no stock SRT-4's are pulling from me on the highway... But again... wish it was done in polish aluminum or blue...

oh well... decisions, decisions

maybe i'll just skip it for now and get Praxis suspension instead... I already have a TXS Hyperflow top mount... Any body wanna buy that if i do get the front mount...??

#8 ·
Yeah I have been eyeing that along w/ a SR40 and EVERY OTHER MOD THAT CAN POSSIBLY BE DONE TO THE WRX HENCE MY CAR IS BONE STOCK MINUS AN HKS SSQV, 17 x 7.5 ssr comps w/ re750s and the intake silencer removal. O well, I guess money is everything.

EDIT: Ope! Can't forget a K&N drop in filter

#10 · (Edited)
TOP MOUNT $$$

Looking to get about $500 for it, depending on shipping costs and whether or not you want the intercooler chiller bar (for Co2 sprayer) that is attached to it... (see the gallery from a good time ago for pics of this intercooler with the chiller bar and the chrome striping look i added-- looks bad-A$$)

You likely cannot get a new TXS top mount or front mount now because TXS has discontinued.... Let me know if interested, obviously includeds the cast y-piping and hose connections needed... intercooler is in very good condition except for a few bent fins on bottom of intercooler from the chiller bar straps....

pm me if you are seriously interested and give me your phone number if you like then i will call you this weekend, or vice versa....

regarding the PE1820 and APS DR650.... not gonna happen at this point... it was pain in neck to install the VF30 and besides i would get the SR 40 if anything, its a better turbo, and not sure about doint that... because quite frankly i do need my stock clutch and transmission to remain in tact for a good bit longer... and i'm already going to be pushing the envelope with VF30 and front mount at 20psi on stock clutch/tranny.... to track that setup would mean almost certain tranny failure on short order... but now ya got me thinking... anyone know how much SR40's are going for??? and anyone in the market for a 3000 mile VF30..... :)

#11 ·
The sr40 is good but not a "great turbo".. I have be looking into them for awhile.. and people that have them seem to not get the power they were suppose to get from it.. i would think you would be better off going with a pe1818... not a real crazy turbo but better then a sr40.. a sr40 wont spare your tranny and they are just as much $$ as Pe turbos..

#13 ·
I got a question about the original topic at hand, the APS D/R 500. I looked into it at the APS website and it says that you need to use their Cold Air Intake unit with it because of the piping. Now I also know that CAI's aren't that good for our WRX's. Do you guys think this will make a big affect on the performance? Or would it be smarter to go with another FMIC like the Perrin and get their Short Ram (because I know theirs works fine with a short ram)? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

-silver04

#14 ·
interesting...

well anyways... i do have the VF30 and am happy with it.

The TXS top mount was a direct bot on with no modification of any components... the stock intercooler rubber shroud must be removed, but that is simple and obvious-- 4 or 5 screws and its off.

no modding of any lines, You do remove the oil blow-by lines (which are attached to the stock i/c, and replace with a rubber tube that is supplied with the intercooler... but again, that is quite simple. stock BOV is direct fitment, i even have the JSPEC strut bar installed and fits behind the i/c with room to spare.

#15 ·
not really true

you don't have to use the APS intake.... You just have to make sure you can fit an intake filter somewhere... Perrin is special designed to fit just right with their front mount, but i am going to use some chrome intake tubing and cut my own piceces to fit an intake.

#16 ·
Ah, so you don't have to use the APS CAI... That's good to hear because I really wanted to run the FMIC with a short ram and though I know Perrin is a great company I love the look of the APS and the fact that you can keep your stock fog lamps. Gotta have them fog lamps haha.

Do you know of any company that makes a short ram that might fit with the APS?

-silver04

#17 ·
silver04 said:
Ah, so you don't have to use the APS CAI... That's good to hear because I really wanted to run the FMIC with a short ram and though I know Perrin is a great company I love the look of the APS and the fact that you can keep your stock fog lamps. Gotta have them fog lamps haha.

Do you know of any company that makes a short ram that might fit with the APS?

-silver04
APS?:confused:

#18 ·
not sure that aps does make shorty

From what i can see, the APS intake does go down into the fender well (sits up a bit higher than most, but does go into the fender. I know perrin is a shorty that goes under the intercooler pipiing and should fit pretty well. But honestly, its no guarantee until you get it in, and then look at what cai will fit the scenario.... that's why i just went to ebay, ordered a cheapy CAI kit, ($40) and will use the chrome piping to cut any pieces needed to fit a shorty intake with the Perrin intercooler piping... Check which hole in the fender wall the intercooler piping goes through, and then you have agood idea what shape of shorty intake you need to construct. The aps i think goes through the front hole (closest to the front of the car)... So you need something either very short to come straight of the intake, or it needs to come out and curce down and back towards the second hole in the fender well, and hook under the intercooler piping (harder to accomplish than a very short straight shot..... But, getting the longer version to go under the i/c piping and almost all the way to the fender well wall(second hole area)... will allow the car to intake some cold air through that hole in the fender well... and you will get slightly better throttle response... I've noticed a difference in mine... and when i plug that hole with tape, the car just doens't quite have it as well as when unpluggred and open to the air... So i leave the hole open on dry days, and i krafted abig round plug to stick in the hole on rainy day... (otherwise the intake will suck up a bunch of water right through the hole, which is exactly why i don't have the long-style CAI anymore, way too much water was getting in the system on rainy days... on some real bad days, almost enough to stall the engine... ).

#20 ·
yes... any WRX will....

Any WRX with a full size aftermarket CAI will suck water into the intake during wet conditions, how much is a function of how hard its raining and how fast/hard you're driving the car... The stock intake system does not take in water because it goes into the fender well and then back to the ram intake scoop under the hood... there is no direct air being taken in through the fender well area with the stock intake system, just with aftermarket CAI systems... Even my shorty intake will take in some water if i don't plug the hole in the fender well (the intake filter is right up next to that hole in the fender).... not nearly as much obviously, but it does get wet... Now when i had the full size CAI installed and drove the car through a winter season, then checked the filter after the season, the intake was disgustingly dirty and the meltal mesh around the filter had completely rusted, and of course, there is metal mesh on the inside of that filter also, and that too was completely rusted... i don't even want to know how many minute particles of rust got sent through my entire engine system due to the inner mesh becoming rusted from water and road salt... word to the wise... do not use a full length CAI that ends inside your fender well unless you rarely drive in rainy situations! just my observations and opinions, take it for what you will................ and to boot i even purchased a K&n 'drysock' filter to go over the intake filter (a silicon coated little sleeve designed to prevent water from getting in)... but it did abosoletly very little to help the predicament.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.