Subaru WRX Forum banner

anything i need to know...

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
before my install up pipe, down pipe, n cat back exhaust system this weekend?? :)

so excited lol but about the O2 sensor n all that BS i have no idea what to do with it or how it works or ###. well, just anything i need 2 kno in general, would be great. o n by the way if anybody knows a good, pictured set of instructions i would really appreciate that cuzz i have no idea what i'm gonna be doing still looking for tutorials lol. help? thnx ;)

#2 ·
For the o2 sensor:
1. Buy a offset o2 wrench. This will save you a ton of time and frustration. Don't decide to just try without it. Buy it before you start.
2. If you do step 1 then the rest of the o2 sensor stuff is easy. Make sure you notch the heat sheild so it is even easier next time.

Be prepared to lift your engine about an inch to slide in the up pipe and you may want to start doing finger exercises in preparation for bolting your new down pipe to the turbo.

As far as instructions go look at cobb's website. They have downloadable instructions for their products with pictures and stuff. I used it in conjunction with a stage two install I found somewhere. Sorry I can't remember where but Cobb will get you started.

#8 ·
your definetly going to want to have the next day clear and make sure you have blaster or whatever and you want to be vary carefull with the egt sensor in the up pipe as it can be fragile. and if you break it it's the cheapest sensor on the hole damn car (thank god) and is about $50 from the dealer. and i like to have a air hammer ready with a chizzel bit and some extra bolts ### it's alot easyer and faster to break the bolts off then get them off most of the time. but only the ones that clamp 2 pipes together not the ones that go into the engine!

#14 ·
It is not recommended to go to stage two without engine management. You won't see much of a performance upgrade and your engine will run like crap. You will end up with a loud car that is only moderately faster than stock with less reliability to boot. I would suggest only installing the cat back and maybe up pipe. Once you get the access port install the down pipe.

#15 ·
I never heard about it running bad stage2 with stock; not "no", EM... I thought it would be just like any normal header upgrade on anything; increasing exhaust flow.... But then when you get a tune (i.e. AP) it will really bring out the power.....

#18 ·
Seanwrxwagon, thank you for making an effort to keep your spelling an grammar in line. We appreciate it and I wish more members took it seriously.

Anyway, The confusion here is related to the EJ205 vs the EJ255. The EJ205 responds very well to a bellmouth downpipe on it's own, even without any change in engine management. A good tune ALWAYS helps but the EJ205 runs great with just a downpipe. "Worse than stock" is not accurate. The car that has a problem with the downpipe mod is the EJ255 powered WRX (06+). Boost creep becomes a problem due to the greater exhaust flow and limited wastegate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.