Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   aluminum radiator question (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/aluminum-radiator-question-28723/)

bad grocerygetter 05-04-2010 01:16 PM

aluminum radiator question

ok so i bought an 03 wagon and it is one that doesnt have a filler cap, well surprise...oem rad has sprung a leak, nothing crazy, just if i sit at idle for five mins or so temp starts to go up, and if i look under car there is a small drip of clean antifreeze coming out from under the passenger side fan. after a cool down it stops or if i drive for a bit it will cool down some and stop leaking. my question is i have been looking at buying an aluminum aftermarket radiator and was curious if i needed anything extra since it will have a filler cap. sorry if this has been answered, i honestly looked for a thread on this and found nothing. it doesnt seem to be an emergency but i would like to know so i can make a decision on which type of rad to buy. thanks in advance!:D

LiL Shoaf 05-04-2010 03:05 PM

I think it would depend on the replacment that you purchase. I have an 02 sedan. I replaced (or rather upgraded) to a Koyo Alumn Radiatior. I didn't need anything else, however the Koyo doesn't have a filler cap either. If the replacement that you get doesn't have a filler cap make sure you "Burp" your upper rad hose to ensure that there are no air bubbles that can get trapped in the system and cause more over heating issues..

bad grocerygetter 05-05-2010 07:56 AM

ok thanks but what about if it does have a filler cap?? i doubt i can get the wife talked into a koyo, do you know if there are any moderatly priced ones out there? ( <$200 ) :D
hell autozone wants 200 for the plastic crappy ones i have seen alum ones for 200 ish online. just tryin to keep the misses happy ha ha thanks for the reply!

LiL Shoaf 05-05-2010 02:42 PM

Even if it doesn't come with a cap you can pick one up on ebay pretty cheap. I have seen Blitz ones and stuff like that cheap on there.

As far as a cheap Rad. I can't really help you much there. I haven't been in the parts searching scene for some time now.. I don't even know whats all out there anymore..

bad grocerygetter 05-11-2010 10:01 PM

ok cool ill look into it

bad grocerygetter 06-28-2010 08:22 AM

just an update. forgot about this thread. went with a factory (plastic one) replacement. however it seems to have been just fine. been driving around on it for over a month now with no trouble. will prob upgrade later if i ever decide to mod past stage two. thanks for the posts.

LiL Shoaf 06-30-2010 09:26 PM

Glad your good to go..

brfatal 07-02-2010 12:50 AM

Don't waste your money, get a Koyo. I bought a $200 radiator that fit terribly and with all the problems I've had with it and associated costs (tows and more Subaru coolant), it would have been cheaper for me to have bought a Fluidyne radiator in the first place.

[edit] Saw I was late.