Alt upgrade. Do I need to add a wire going from the ALT to the battery positive? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
Alt upgrade. Do I need to add a wire going from the ALT to the battery positive?

I'm upgrading from a 75amp (PN: 23700-AA430) alternator to a 110amp (PN: 23700-AA570) alternator.

Do I need to add a fused link from the alternator to the battery. so I don't blow the 80 amp main fuse? And if so what gauge wire and amp fuse do I need?

Car: 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

Back story: I added a 400RMS sub and amp to my car and started to experience my lights dimming. I upgraded my battery to a DieHard Platinum and that took care of the light dim but not permanently. After 20-30 minutes of playing the stereo loud the lights will start to dim again. I went by o'reilly auto parts and had them test the alternator/amperage at the battery with stereo off, then with the stereo on. Stereo off it had 38 amps at the battery stereo on at 50% volume playing some Sublime it dropped to 13 amps and their machine said low output. The oem WRX 75amp (PN: 23700-AA430) alternator is not cutting it. So I ordered a 06 STI 110amp (PN: 23700-AA570) alternator that I found on eBay.

Thanks for looking, reading, and leaving your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not sure, but if you don't hear good answers from any of us soon, ask on a stereo forum, I'm sure someone on one of those will throw you an answer quick.
Sorry

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Alt upgrade. Do I need to add a wire going from the ALT to the battery positive?

Anybody know what size fuse the 06 sti uses? If he's just upgraded the alternator to a sti spec one. Wouldnt yhe sti fuse be what he needs? I my self had had many stereo systems. Last 1 being 2 alpine type x 12's in big ported box and a hifonics 2000rms st 1 ohm which is what they were wired to but I also had a capacitor you might want to look into one of these. It acts as a second battery almost. Shows the charge it is at and the amp draw if you get one that has 2 displays. Wires in between the amp power wire and the battery. Check out some capacitors don't buy cheap ones. ### you'll get what you paid for hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#4 Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1362533787.305826.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  56.1 KB

here's the capacitor I had with mine. It performed amazing never had a problem and I was pushing close to 4000 watts at 1 ohm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#5 Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
I added some grounds and a 100 amp fused bypass for the new alternator, that I put in.
I will be getting some loom for the grounds, so every thing's not red.

The Scosche wiring kit that I got came with a .5 farad Cap so I put it in.

I'm not really sure if it's doing any thing, but the sub is hitting hard enough that I'm going to have to take the headliner out when its nice out and put some foam on the inside of the roof so it doesn't vibrate.