All wheel drive to rear wheel drive? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
nothing says oh baby like 4 burn out marks instead of 2.

dont cheat by chuckin it into 2wd, get enough balls under the hood to roast all 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
I agree that is nice, but takes a lot of money. One of these years I will get my bigger Turbo, FMIC, Injectors, EM, and a dyno tune. One of these years.......
#18 Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i cant waite untill i can break all 4 loose at will

*gets a partial*
#19 Old 08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

sjrex is an unknown
im not cheaping out. all wheel drive is nice but nothing is as cool as drifting, its not for burning out, but how many people do think would be in awe seeing a wrx rippin sideways. plus i should gain more power to the wheels than allwheel drive.
#20 Old 08-05-2005, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

you will have a slight gain....

you can slide an AWD car. you dont need to convert it to rwd.

you dont need to use the hand brake or pump the clutch either like a ####

weight transfer, spring energy, ENTRY SPEED
#21 Old 08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

sjrex is an unknown
ok well maybe u can show me how sometime, but if u ever watch any drifting they use the clutch and brake alot, thats what controls ## car. just cuttin the wheel going fast is not going to be a very fun or pleasant outcome of trying to slide ## car.
#22 Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I never understood this whole drifting thing. Why is everyone jumping on this bandwagon? It looks cool, but now everyone and their brother is doing it.
#23 Old 08-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Long Live the Rally Races

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#24 Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
Hehe well drifting was originally derived from the racing techniques used in Rally.

If I had the money to get extra sets of tires and extra $$ for backup when something breaks (because something will break), I would probably try it hehe.
#25 Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

drifting is big because of a few reasons.
a) its now a bigger waste of tires and fuel then formula 1
b) its the perfect spectator sport.
c) the crowd has a definitive say in the outcome. if the crowde thinks it was too close to call, they will chant "ONE MORE TIME, ONE MORE TIME" and the judges will let the two guys going at it, have another run to determine a winner

Quote:
ok well maybe u can show me how sometime, but if u ever watch any drifting they use the clutch and brake alot, thats what controls ## car. just cuttin the wheel going fast is not going to be a very fun or pleasant outcome of trying to slide ## car.
some, not all. my favorate drifters right now are none of the asian dudes. reese millen, samuel hubinete and conrad grunewald. now, samuel and reese are really cool guyes, but i dont know there driving style very well. conrad on the other hand, is my cousin, and i know his style very well. he will not use the hand brake (if he can help it), or pump the clutch.

using the hand brake and pumping the clutch is in no way used to "controll" the car. it used soly to initiate the drift (get the back end out). its not terribly dificult to get the same efect by using the spring energy of the car, you just need more speed, and (not to offend anyone) i think most drifters are a little more scared of speed. if you use hand brake and clutch pump, you can initiate a drift at a much lower speed.

your right, going fast and cutting the wheel will be quite detrimental to your health, mostly due to the fact that, once you "cut the wheel" you have a limited amount of time to recover and corect. the simplest way i can write how to catch a slide is;
once you realize the back end is coming out (you will feel it) you quickly corect (side note: to catch a slide, or drift, or what ever you want to call it, you turn INTO the skid. thats corecting) after corecting you pause, and then recover.
corect, pause, recover. sounds easy yeah?
when drifting, most of the drift is the "pause" fase. your slowly but accuratly pointing the car where you want it to go, and controlling and maintaining your slide with the throttle (feathering).

if you loose controll of your car on the road, you would quickly catch the slide by turning itno it, you would pause for a second to make sure you have corected enough, then recover by straigtening out the wheel. most people the first few times they attempt this keep crankin the wheel becuase the car isent turning, but they are turning the wheel, and this can be a little disconcerting at first. then, when they go to unwind the wheel, they have 2 full rotations to get out of the rack, there speed as reduced to much that the front tires can bite and regain traction, and it throws the car which ever direction the wheel is turned.

a wide open paddock or parking lot is your best bet for trying your hand at a controlled slide.

start out, by driving ina circle. keep the radius of your circle the same, and slowly add more power. you will get to a point where the tires cant handle the forces you are applying to them, and brake loose. once you find this point, its aaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll practice at balancing the car.

or, as we call it, threading the needle

hope this helps, without getting into the specifics and physics of drifting a car.
#26 Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

rich8669 is an unknown
Here is what you can do with a wheel drive rex.

wrx drifting
#27 Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

nice clip

do you know whos driving? or what event it is
#28 Old 08-11-2005, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

rich8669 is an unknown
No I beleive it is in Japan
#29 Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

damn, look at the smoke comin off the fronts.

i hope to GOD it running awd