Air Intake Questions - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 4
huhm is an unknown
Air Intake Questions

i have a 2004 WRX with a COBB access port, invidia catless downpipe/uppipe. I was wondering which CAI is better for my certain car, if it matters. I was looking at the K & N, Injen and AEM. Also the injen seems to cost less...is this just due to the "legal" sticker on the K & N? Thanks
huhm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Moderator
 
newtothegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,493
Images: 4
newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
None will benefit your car unless you plan on getting a tune for it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
newtothegame is offline  
#3 Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,119
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The only intake setups you can run safely without a tune on an 02-07 WRX are:

1. K&N (or other brand) drop-in panel filter (and snorkus delete mod if you want some extra sound)
2. Cobb short ram intake
3. SPT short ram intake

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#4 Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,350
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
The only intake setups you can run safely without a tune on an 02-07 WRX are:

1. K&N (or other brand) drop-in panel filter (and snorkus delete mod if you want some extra sound)
2. Cobb short ram intake
3. SPT short ram intake
You list is missing intakes and the SPT does require a tune (it reads as too small and even Subaru themselves offer a reflash for it at a cost).
brfatal is offline  
#5 Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,119
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
1. What intakes are missing from my list?

2. I've never heard of the SPT short ram intake requiring a tune on an 02-07 WRX. Although, it probably would benefit from one, it can be installed and run without problems on otherwise stock or lightly modded 02-07 WRXs. I have a feeling Subaru is just trying to make money by offering something similar to a "Stage 1" ecu reflash, but I could be wrong.

Care to elaborate? I'm not trying to be mean, just curious. Maybe you're thinking of 08+ models?

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#6 Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Moderator
 
newtothegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,493
Images: 4
newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have heard of the 02-07 WRXs needing something for the intake, but have never seen proof. My (old) tuner said it would be fine, but being a Cobb whore (and it actually being cheaper) thats what I went with.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
newtothegame is offline  
#7 Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,350
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
1. What intakes are missing from my list?

2. I've never heard of the SPT short ram intake requiring a tune on an 02-07 WRX. Although, it probably would benefit from one, it can be installed and run without problems on otherwise stock or lightly modded 02-07 WRXs. I have a feeling Subaru is just trying to make money by offering something similar to a "Stage 1" ecu reflash, but I could be wrong.

Care to elaborate? I'm not trying to be mean, just curious. Maybe you're thinking of 08+ models?
There is no SPT intake for the +08s. And no, the reflash was a part of the "SPT performance package" that they used to sell. The SPT intake itself reads as slightly smaller than stock.

What intakes are missing? K&N Typhoon, APS 65mm, AEM, TurboXS, and KSTech StockMAF (supposedly).
brfatal is offline  
#8 Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
There is no SPT intake for the +08s. And no, the reflash was a part of the "SPT performance package" that they used to sell. The SPT intake itself reads as slightly smaller than stock.

What intakes are missing? K&N Typhoon, APS 65mm, AEM, TurboXS, and KSTech StockMAF (supposedly).
Those that you list make the MAF measure incorrectly due to the bends on the intake tract in relation to the MAF sensor...

There is no need for a reflash with the SPT, you just will benefit more if you do reflash the ECU...
fuapiti is offline  
#9 Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,350
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
Those that you list make the MAF measure incorrectly due to the bends on the intake tract in relation to the MAF sensor...

There is no need for a reflash with the SPT, you just will benefit more if you do reflash the ECU...
For the 1st part, continue explaining. Some of them don't even have bends (they used the stock elbow), and others follow the stock lines. The ones I listed are long proven intakes.

As for the SPT, Subaru disagrees; which is why they have a flash for it in the 1st place.
brfatal is offline  
#10 Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,119
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
There is no SPT intake for the +08s. And no, the reflash was a part of the "SPT performance package" that they used to sell. The SPT intake itself reads as slightly smaller than stock.

What intakes are missing? K&N Typhoon, APS 65mm, AEM, TurboXS, and KSTech StockMAF (supposedly).
You missed the very first part of my post: "The only intake setups you can run safely without a tune on an 02-07 WRX are"

I was not at all referring to 08+ models. Those intakes are not commonly known to be able to be installed and run without additional tuning like the three I mentioned are.

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#11 Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,350
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
You missed the very first part of my post: "The only intake setups you can run safely without a tune on an 02-07 WRX are"

I was not at all referring to 08+ models. Those intakes are not commonly known to be able to be installed and run without additional tuning like the three I mentioned are.
Huh? What rock have you been hiding under? Those are all commonly known to be able to install without tuning (barring the KSTech).
brfatal is offline  
#12 Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,119
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would not feel comfortable running a K&N Typhoon, APS 65mm, AEM, TurboXS, or a KSTech intake on my car without being tuned for it specifically. I would, however, feel comfortable running a Cobb short ram, SPT short ram, or a K&N filter with an otherwise stock intake system (which I currently run) without specifically being tuned for it. The latter three are much more commonly known to be ok without a tune on 02-07 WRXs than the first five - they're just too different from stock.

And I'm sure there are other reasons why Subaru offers a different map along with their SPT intake. They could include:
1. They're just trying to make money
2. They realized how unsmooth their stock maps are
3. They know that it's safe to slightly adjust a few things given the ability to draw in more air with their SPT intake

I doubt their only reason for offering the ecu reflash with the intake is because it's unsafe to use with a stock map.

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#13 Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
For the 1st part, continue explaining. Some of them don't even have bends (they used the stock elbow), and others follow the stock lines. The ones I listed are long proven intakes.

As for the SPT, Subaru disagrees; which is why they have a flash for it in the 1st place.
The S-type bend on the AEM CAI (not the short ram) and the Injen CAI makes the air current inside the pipe to follow a different path of that for which the MAF sensor has been designed to read. This causes the ECU to read differently. To be honest I don't know about the K&N one, but I do know that the SPT and the Cobb allow the MAF to read accurately.

AEM, Injen and K&N produce long proven intake systems, just not for the EJ engines.

In 02-07 models you do not need to reflash the ECU in order to safely use the SPT intake.
fuapiti is offline  
#14 Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,350
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I would not feel comfortable running a K&N Typhoon, APS 65mm, AEM, TurboXS, or a KSTech intake on my car without being tuned for it specifically. I would, however, feel comfortable running a Cobb short ram, SPT short ram, or a K&N filter with an otherwise stock intake system (which I currently run) without specifically being tuned for it. The latter three are much more commonly known to be ok without a tune on 02-07 WRXs than the first five - they're just too different from stock.

Again, this is all maybe just because it's you perception being a relatively new (2007?) member of the Subaru modification community. Just because you feel those are better known (and they are not) and that you wouldn't feel safe running the intakes I listed (and they are), that doesn't mean that your argument is the case.

And I'm sure there are other reasons why Subaru offers a different map along with their SPT intake. They could include:
1. They're just trying to make money (Doubtful, because then the flash would have been made for everybody)
2. They realized how unsmooth their stock maps are (Ditto)
3. They know that it's safe to slightly adjust a few things given the ability to draw in more air with their SPT intake (If this were the case, then the minor level of adjustments that would have been made would have worked fine on the stock intake as well)

I doubt their only reason for offering the ecu reflash with the intake is because it's unsafe to use with a stock map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
The S-type bend on the AEM CAI (not the short ram) and the Injen CAI makes the air current inside the pipe to follow a different path of that for which the MAF sensor has been designed to read. This causes the ECU to read differently. To be honest I don't know about the K&N one, but I do know that the SPT and the Cobb allow the MAF to read accurately.

AEM, Injen and K&N produce long proven intake systems, just not for the EJ engines.

In 02-07 models you do not need to reflash the ECU in order to safely use the SPT intake.
Can you post supporting logs for me out of curiosity? Various tuners would disagree with your synopsis on the AEM CAI. The Injen intake is a problem though.
brfatal is offline  
#15 Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
fuapiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 462
Images: 3
fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Can you post supporting logs for me out of curiosity? Various tuners would disagree with your synopsis on the AEM CAI. The Injen intake is a problem though.
I'm pretty sure that a quick search would pull out the different threads where this had been discussed. I remember back when I bought my car in '05 I was anxious to mod it and the intake was one of the first things that I researched. There was this huge discussion all over the forums on which intake was best. Injen was out K&N was out, AEM was out, even HKS an had an offering, there was simply nothing that garanteed best results than the OEM system. So people like Moto GP came out with stuff to modify the stock intake system to work better...

AEM kept comming with different versions of their Intake but they always kept the S-type bend right before where their system attaches to the OEM inlet. If you compare the Injen and the AEM, they are very similar (the CAI/long system). Maybe the diameter of the tube is different, I don't know, but if the Injen tends to be a problem and the AEM looks just like it, I'd stay away from it.
fuapiti is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On