Subaru WRX Forum banner

Air Intake kills wrx turbos?

8K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  eighth08 
#1 ·
Aight guys this time i need some big defense...My dad doesnt want me to get an air intake system because he feels that my turbo will blow and that theyre not good for forced induction engines...now i already know about how they can suck more air through your stock up-pipe and break down the catalytic converter and send it through your turbo, permanently destroying it...Ive taken this into consideration already and have upgraded to a TurboXS up-pipe without a cat...
Help me out and let me know what will happen (if anything negative) to my scooby if i put an AEM or a K&N intake in.
Thanks.
JOE
Blue 02 Wrx

#3 ·
Yeh well that can happen becuz of where the cat is in the up-pipe, this guy i know had a wrx and before he knew about that problem he put an intake in and he ended up ruining his turbo because the broken up cat went through it...so you just got to be careful with them

#4 ·
wa wa what

:eek: hey big joe, that cat going through your buddies turbo sounds like it was a cat problem rather than him putting on an intake. The question is though if your looking for more power or just sound? cause the intake will do nothing but make it sound nice slightly! Why not take that money and by an downpipe instead? far more more beneficial, don't you think? :confused:

#7 ·
BigJoe68 said:
Aight guys this time i need some big defense...My dad doesnt want me to get an air intake system because he feels that my turbo will blow and that theyre not good for forced induction engines...now i already know about how they can suck more air through your stock up-pipe and break down the catalytic converter and send it through your turbo, permanently destroying it...Ive taken this into consideration already and have upgraded to a TurboXS up-pipe without a cat...
Help me out and let me know what will happen (if anything negative) to my scooby if i put an AEM or a K&N intake in.
Thanks.
JOE
Blue 02 Wrx
Umm..... where to start?

Intakes don't suck air through your uppipe. The uppipe has nothing to do with your intake system. And, they have no effect on your cat.

They do, however, have a negative effect on performance. But, it is a design flaw that makes them bad, not the extra airflow.

More info here:

http://wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5510

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#10 ·
BigJoe68 said:
Thanks.
JOE
Blue 02 Wrx
wow, 5 same posts. it seems unanamous. CAI are not for these cars.. !Laugh! .
If youre friends turbo "sucked up" some cat contents he probably raised the boost while stockish. That will do it b4 anything else!
Get a down pipe and e.m.. Tell you pop it will help you get better mpg !Laugh! . Then tell him you want a bigger turbo, injectors, cat back, radio ( a must)....... !Thumbs Up

#12 ·
... if he installs a CAI, he will not notice any power gains. I don't care if you're God, it's physics; the most you'll ever see is 3hp, if you're lucky. Further, you can get that same sound by removing the intake resonator, and it will cost him nothing.

#21 ·
WRX KY said:
I have a CAI on my 03 and works great. Not only does the turbo sound better, but it feels like it picked up a few ponies also. !Thumbs Up

I bought my car with the injen CAI already installed. I drove it like that for a day or so before I installed the downpipe(injen) and bosal cat-back. My car drives great! My question is if my car had the stock intake, would I be making more power? And is my car in danger of having any problems?

#22 ·
Cosmo said:
I'm sure it did. That's because an engine running lean makes more power. Put an AFR gauge on there and see what it reads....

so the way my car is set up right now. --CAI(INJEN),Downpipe(INJEN),bosal cat-back) my car is not getting the right a/f ratio. I also asked another question on this any help on my both questions would be great. Thanks

#26 ·
I hope you didn't order the APS intake. If so, get your money back. We tried it on 3 different cars here, and it was the worst performing intake I have ever seen. Which is strange, since APS makes such good stuff. We could never get the AFR right in any of the cars. And, that intake caused a CEL on all of the cars we tried it on. On my car, it made my AFR run in the 15's....

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.