Subaru WRX Forum banner

Air Intake kills wrx turbos?

8K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  eighth08 
#1 ·
Aight guys this time i need some big defense...My dad doesnt want me to get an air intake system because he feels that my turbo will blow and that theyre not good for forced induction engines...now i already know about how they can suck more air through your stock up-pipe and break down the catalytic converter and send it through your turbo, permanently destroying it...Ive taken this into consideration already and have upgraded to a TurboXS up-pipe without a cat...
Help me out and let me know what will happen (if anything negative) to my scooby if i put an AEM or a K&N intake in.
Thanks.
JOE
Blue 02 Wrx

#27 ·
Cosmo said:
I hope you didn't order the APS intake. If so, get your money back. We tried it on 3 different cars here, and it was the worst performing intake I have ever seen. Which is strange, since APS makes such good stuff. We could never get the AFR right in any of the cars. And, that intake caused a CEL on all of the cars we tried it on. On my car, it made my AFR run in the 15's....
I didn't order their CAI, I am keeping the one already on my car. Hopefully it won't conflict the the FMIC. :cool:

#35 ·
Don't believe everything you read, especially dealing with parts. Sometimes it's best to take the word of a customer or mechanic that has used, tested and discarded a bad product. Every CAI intake for the WRX; according to the companies that sell them; is supposed to give an additional 10 to 15 horses. But who can testify that to be true.

#44 ·
Nonsense

An intake is pointless your stock intake will handle jsut as well as an aem one on this car....... and your not going to really need anysound i mean what would you rather hear a turbo spulling or a cold air intake......it would be point less to buy one and a waste of money spend the money on a cool bov and get some real sound or up grade your turbo:cool:

#46 ·
huh

nick4592 said:
You really want quicker spool and a louder turbo sound

<----pain the ass to install but well worth it

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=wrx+catless+up-pipe&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler <----should be first or second 'upgrade'

If you want a loud powerful turbo check out the EJ5-40T ....it is a quick spool noisy bastard :D
what is that thin?WTF yo big joe, this is bigjoe from chicago. i have an 03 that i bought 2 months ago. it "had" an aem cai on the car when i got it. i did a little research on this particular cai and got nothing but bad reviews. yeah my turbo was louder but my car kept detonating. you know the pop pop pop when i tried to get on it sometimes. so i got a used stock box, dropped a k&n in it and so far so good.

#48 ·
Thought this was one of those "Added security" pipes...to prevent leaks/issues with the stock tubes

This actually helps you? Makes turbo spool better? How larger diamiter? Fill me in with some info. Im sure its like $250? For a red tube lol

#49 ·
Go the bookstore and read the section near the back in SubieSport about installs on a silver wagon. I skimmed over it, but it has dyno results of both the inlet and crank pulley by Perrin. I got confused whether or not it gained any hp, but i didn't have time to go back and read it all.

#50 ·
Vew said:
Go the bookstore and read the section near the back in SubieSport about installs on a silver wagon. I skimmed over it, but it has dyno results of both the inlet and crank pulley by Perrin. I got confused whether or not it gained any hp, but i didn't have time to go back and read it all.
Bookstore?!?! lol as in library? Hell with that ROFL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.