Subaru WRX Forum banner

Air Intake hose need replacing?

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  JBG 
#1 · (Edited)
Bonjour!

This is a photo of my EJ205 air intake hose at the end where it clamps to the air inlet on the turbocharger.

It is split at the point beyond the hose clamp (that appears itself to be fastened tight).

Does the hose need replacing? Is there likely to be any boost leak? And if you have any advice how to test for such a leak it would be greatly appreciated by I.

With thanks :x:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If its pre turbo then it wont cause boost leak but there is the possibility of it cracking further down the line and letting un-metered air into the system which could lead to a lean condition. That one looks pretty beat up but it appears to be holding for now.

Intake hoses are not that expensive, like $45. Pick one up and drop it in, maybe with T clamps instead of those screw clamps. no tune needed : )

#3 ·
Thanks arcticscythe!

I'd give you some more +rep for your help, but apparently I've already bestowed too many blessing upon you and so I got slapped with the naughty stick :crying:

I had another look at the hose this morning. It's not the easiest to get a good view of where it's positioned but I managed to squeeze myself into a slightly different angle and noticed that at a point to the right of the clamp, the hose appears to be showing signs of the exterior silicon/rubber compound starting to break down.

As I'm hoping to have this car for 10 years, I don't think the hose will see it through till then so I've decided to get it replaced (although the prices are $200+).

As a bonus, as the work includes the removal of the Intercooler, the Subaru dealership will replace the OEM WRX with an STi I have sitting in my garage at the same time :D (although I was keen on giving that one a go myself :nerd: )

#4 ·
Hey that sounds like your knocking out 2 birds with one stone. Good for you. With $120 bucks in labor for an hour and a halfs work $200 isn't insane. On the other hand pulling the IC off and swapping the inlet hose is child's play so you could probably handle it yourself in an evening with a 6 pack and a buddy to hold a flashlight/share your beer.

Also if your going to be in there anyway now is a good time to swap out those hose clamps with some T clamps. they are quite a bit stronger and they don't risk the pinch that causes torn hoses. I know your not talking about a high pressure connection but I prefer them to those screw connectors and they are about $5 a piece on RSD.

#6 ·
Hey that sounds like your knocking out 2 birds with one stone. Good for you. With $120 bucks in labor for an hour and a halfs work $200 isn't insane. On the other hand pulling the IC off and swapping the inlet hose is child's play so you could probably handle it yourself in an evening with a 6 pack and a buddy to hold a flashlight/share your beer.
The $200 was actually just for the hose itself.

Labour they say was closer to 5 hours in all but was only quoted and charged for 2.5hrs .... all up was AU$619. Needed to be done though.

(Unfortunately the work appears to have created what I think is a coolant leak and the car is back in shop with them today, being the next day after :( )

#7 ·
I don't want to add insult to injury but that sounds really steep. then I re-read your post and you had the dealership do the work, that makes sense now.

That looks like that the hose was way torn up. Did you get a chance to have them swap out the worm screw clamps with T clamps?

#8 ·
Cost of living in Australia are much higher. Average (yes, average) home price in Sydney now is over AU$850,000. Yes. It is nuts.

No I stayed with the regular clamps. Not concerned about damaging the hose long term. Don't think the car will last that long personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.