advice for putting on a turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXIE is an unknown
advice for putting on a turbo

i am replacing my stock turbo on my 04 wrx wagon no mods.......its not an upgraded turbo just stock mine is dead...so the new turbo is it just a bolt on??....i want to do this myself just wondering if i need to tune it out after or if its just a plug and play.....if tuning is required im prob just gonna do the uppipe and downpipe as well.....am i lookin at a pain job or is it pretty much straight forward??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
If your using a stock replacment I can't see the need for a tune. As for the job.. It can be a pain if you haven't done if before but it's VERY doable for a weekend wrencher. Just take your time and try not to get frustrated if something is holding you up..

You will need to pull the intercooler (just fore ease of acccess) and pull the turbo out. Sure there are some things that you have to disconnect but take your time and remember where everything goes.. Don't forget new gaskets..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#3 Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Would you follow the break-in procedure for a brand new turbo for this situation (used stock turbo replacing broken stock turbo)?

Or can you just bolt it right up and drive like you normally would (after resetting the ECU probably)?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXIE is an unknown
well i would belive if you putting in a brand new turbo the break in procedure would def apply.....you gotta give the bearing and everything time to lube up.....i dont think it would be a long break in maybe a couple hundred miles... like lil shoaf said if its gonna be a oem replacement not a upgraded turbo you should be ok and not have to reset the ecu.....im putting in a used turbo got a great price on it.....
#5 Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I would not worry about break in period so much. I would not drop in and jump into the car and hit high boost.. I would allow a little time for the oil to get where it needs to be and alow things to lube up and what not. If it was me (Not saying it's the correct way) I would just drive senceably for the first day then I would test it out. LOL. I'm impatient..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#6 Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Just be aware of the oil drain tube that goes from the turbo back into the block, I've seem people forget to connect this back up or get a kink in the return line, which could be very bad.
Also depending on the miles your turbo inlet pipe may crack, if in the budget i would replace this as well.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#7 Old 06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
long nose pliers. the return line on the bottom took me like 3 hours to connect