Advice needed for my next mod.... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-21-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ronnzi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Ronnzi
Advice needed for my next mod....

Well I dropped down some cash and ended up installing Invidia Up and Down pipes and I'm incredibly pleased with the performance increase.

I have about $400 right now and am saving up for my next mod and was wondering what everyone would recommend in terms of power.

The easiest thing to do would be to save up a little more and get the final piece to the exhaust (I was thinking of getting the titanium-tipped Invidia catback to finish my set) but I'm pretty sure I would gain minimally in terms of performance. I'm not concerned with being loud, so That's not a factor.

Anyways, let me know. I have to go but i'll provide more info later on what I was thinking of doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
How about a CobbAccessPORT? Its more than $400 but its got to be one of the best and cheapest ways to make power out of our engines. But, before you get that, you might want to get the catback. Im not positive on this but the AccessPORT is tuned for a car that has a TBE. So, probably any gains it would give you would be greater if you had a catback with the rest of your exhaust.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-21-2005, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

fthha is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to fthha Send a message via Yahoo to fthha
Yeah, you are right...the setup is for a turboback exhaust, also 93 octane gas. I have a Accessport, and I love it!!! I would really sugest buying one eventually. But, for the guy that is wondering what to buy? Your on the right track, buy the finishing touches for that exhaust. Then next, I would buy the Accessport. Then what I would suggest doing? Buy a new clutch. I bought the ACT pro-street clutch, and I also bought the ACT flywheel. If you are going to buy the clutch, you might as well buy the flywheel, you will save on installation. They won't charge you twice if you are putting them on at the same time. That will cost a pretty penny, but it will be worth it!!! It will take off the strain on your tranny, and save it a lot longer then that crappy stock clutch. You could also buy headers, I did and I love them. You might lose some low end power, but the top end is great!!! But I can't feel a decrease in the low end.....so it's all good!!! You also could buy a HKS grounding kit, or any brand. I have the HKS one and we dynoed it after we installed it and I gained 5hp to the wheels. Not a bad increase for $150. So hopefully that helps you....If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.....later

[B]rOy fLoReZ, jR.[/B]
post #4 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

candela is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to candela
You should definitely consider finishing the exhaust. If it were me I would just buy a nice muffler and get some custom 3" piping to make it as cheap as possible. You could get a K/N drop in and then save for your next mods (UTEC =))

However you really do't need to replace the clutch until your clutch goes toast. Also what the dude above said isn't all taht accurate: in no way will putting a strong clutch in save your tranny or make it last any longer. In fact, if anything, it could put a lot more strain on the tranny since the clutch is doing its job that much more effectively.

Good luck!
post #5 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Herknav is more helpful than not
Garage
Ok, can someone answer his question, what *IS* next?

I am currently having a Helxi upipe and downpipe put in, along with a Borla hush twin tip, (not looking for noise). I have the Cobb AP coming later this week. So what is next? I have heard about the '02 "shudder" AND I have felt it, (only with a cold engine, and if I rev higher, it is not a factor). I can't believe that my clutch is going already, (only 42k on the car). Do I replace the hoses? Do I think about getting a better TMIC?, (no reason to put a FMIC on right now), and if a better TMIC, do I need to put maybe the 03-04 scoop on? (to increase airflow?).

Brandon
02 WRX Cobb Stage 2 now SOLD to my father who sold it to my Brother. Have fun Al!
post #6 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ronnzi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Ronnzi
Hmmm......

Basically I've narrowed it down to....

Should I get the HKS Grounding Kit first, an Accessport, new inlet hoses, a crank pulley or the catback? lol, I know that sounds ridiculous since they're all so different, but I think I'm going to do them all whenever i can afford which one, the question is which ones first.....

What will I feel the most performance out of? Lowend if probably my preferred since i do less highway driving, but really I'm concerned with power and acceleration.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Well, only one of those mods makes a difference (the Accessport) so I would go with that, and forget about all the others. They do absolutely nothing.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
grounding kit, inlet hose, and crank pulley, are all "superficial mods." you will see and feel ZERO power from thoes. get the accessport, then the catback, then save for a turbo/injectors & fuel pump
post #9 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

fthha is an unknown
Well for Candela....actually a new clutch will help your tranny last longer. If you are adding more horsepower, and putting stress on that tranny, it will go out. I'm not saying that by just adding an exhaust system, you should jump into buying a racing clutch. I'm saying you should buy one when you start adding like every bolt on possible, and then talking about adding an Accessport...that will put stress on that crappy stock clutch/crappy tranny. The new clutch eliminates the stress on the tranny.....so longing the life of the tranny!!! Thanks...and many subaru mechanics that I know and trust told me this as well. They really suggested it b/c they were worried that I would blow my tranny like my friend did in his 2002 wrx.

[B]rOy fLoReZ, jR.[/B]
post #10 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

fthha is an unknown
Well the grounding kit will help you....after I installed it, I dynoed it and gained 5hp to the wheels on my wrx. Now I think I call that something....not a huge gain, but it gives my car a better idle and ground. But I would buy the Accessport...that will help you the most!!!!

[B]rOy fLoReZ, jR.[/B]
post #11 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
If Im not mistaken, the grounding kit will work for a few weeks until the ECU learns around it, and it will run just like it had before the kit. Cosmo, back me up on this one?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

brcewane is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME
If Im not mistaken, the grounding kit will work for a few weeks until the ECU learns around it, and it will run just like it had before the kit. Cosmo, back me up on this one?
Well it is hard to tell if it actually does do much at all.. I have heard many tuners say that it will help your electrical system but don't expect any HP from it... a variance of 5-10hp on the same dyno could simply be the result of air temp, humidity, how tight/loose they strap your car down, toe-in/toe-out, or tire pressure.

Just some things to think of. If you do do the grounding mod, just go and grab some wire and make one yourself.

2002 Blue WRX (USDM 2.5L STi Shortblock)
post #13 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

candela is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to candela
Quote:
Well for Candela....actually a new clutch will help your tranny last longer.
I don't want to start anything negative here, but please elaborate on this. Feel free to ask your mechanic friends (I am one myself ) cause I am curious as to what they have to say. My implication is really that you are trying to say somethign other than what you literally typed and/or you got the wrong idea from someone else. So Im just curious what you mean as its always good to have the right (or as close to it as possible) info on these forums and others alike.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

fthha is an unknown
Ok Mr.Mechanic...I will get the information for you....I'm actually going up to the dealership in a couple of days to get a dent fixed. !Notfunny!

[B]rOy fLoReZ, jR.[/B]
post #15 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
next mod

Sorry there fthha but Candela is right. There is no way a stronger clutch saves your tranny. Think of your clutch as a fuse. The stronger the fuse the more current it can pass. Fuses are built so as to not fry any other electrical systems that can't handle all the current. Same goes with the clutch. Stronger clutches will helptransfer more of the power to the wheels but at a cost..... more stress on your tranny.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement