• 2 Post By arcticscythe
  • 1 Post By jeddy
  • 1 Post By RickyTurbo11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jeddy is an unknown
advice on a BOV

hey guys. I have a stock ej205 and im looking for a BOV for it with a aggressive sound. from your experience, what would you suggest? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Just say no!!! It's not good for your car and it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Here, I found a few guys that have an excellent use for their blow-off valves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdqBHtLmCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mrQmQ_W8E
RickyTurbo11 likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.

Last edited by Fidrat; 05-31-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Most guys reccomend against atmospheric bov in general because it dumps the charged air after the Maf has accounted for it. In most cases this causes a rich condition. If you want the sound there are recirculating valves with partial atmospheric dump. Cobb and grimmspeed make 50/50 adjustable recirculating valves that will give you some noise without pissing off the maf( as much). Most guys immeditaly jump on the idea, if you want the noise a 50/50 will make the noise and the damage caused by the following rich condition will not be as bad as with say an HKS.

Hope that helps...
Fidrat and BLAZE2099 like this.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Or the Go Fast Bits BOV, its fully adjustable from 100% recirc, to 100% atmosphere and everything in between, you just turn a knob.

But unless you have a front mount intercooler with a blow through set up, or you are speed density tuned, then I wouldn't get one, its going to cause some nasty after fires because of the rich condition when you let off the throttle as mentioned above.

If you want to hear a little bit of pssshh sound, then just get a aftermarket intake system and tune for it.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
I would highly advise against an atmospheric BOV. Its a time bomb for your motor. So, what I did is I got the GFB hybrid BOV and run it fully recirculating and the Cobb intake. This setup is plenty loud enough. I've driven next to guys with atmospheric BOVs and mine sounds just as good, not as loud, but loud enough to turn heads. I would definitely recommend my set up to anyone looking for a whoosh sound without the complications and risks of an atmospheric BOV. My .02. Enjoy
post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jeddy is an unknown
thanks guys for the advice, makes lots of sense. I will stay away from the atmospheric BOV
BLAZE2099 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy View Post
thanks guys for the advice, makes lots of sense. I will stay away from the atmospheric BOV
Smart man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTurbo11 View Post
I would highly advise against an atmospheric BOV. Its a time bomb for your motor. So, what I did is I got the GFB hybrid BOV and run it fully recirculating and the Cobb intake. This setup is plenty loud enough. I've driven next to guys with atmospheric BOVs and mine sounds just as good, not as loud, but loud enough to turn heads. I would definitely recommend my set up to anyone looking for a whoosh sound without the complications and risks of an atmospheric BOV. My .02. Enjoy
Never heard of anyone blowing up their motor from running a BOV XD
post #9 of 11 Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Maybe "blow up" is a little extreme but either way, our cars are not set up for atmospheric bovs and they do not like them
Fidrat likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
I got a perrin inlet and perrin big maf intake and got tuned by ECS Performance in CT. Its just like having the BOV vent to the atmosphere. I Love it

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP

282 WHP / 247 WTQ
post #11 of 11 Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
I got a perrin inlet and perrin big maf intake and got tuned by ECS Performance in CT. Its just like having the BOV vent to the atmosphere. I Love it
-- I absolutely agree, With a good intake and a tune the stock BPV is quite a bit more audible. I am very happy with my Cobb SF intake, it definitely sounds more agressive and with the Cobb tune its not making my MAF angry.

That said its not so loud that its a cop magnet but you get to enjoy a shhhhttt whhosh when you get on it.

just my .02 cents

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement