Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   adjusting boost (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/adjusting-boost-9273/)

WRXnewbie 10-11-2005 09:20 PM

adjusting boost

alright i know that you arent supposed to get a boost controller and all that, but i have a buddy who has a BOV, and he says that it is capable of controlling boost. we are both noobs, but from what i have read, i have heard nothing like this. is he just misunderstood? or is he right?

WRXtreme 10-11-2005 11:31 PM

BOV does not control boost, a boost controller will. I've also heard lots of people tell me to get a turbo timer to crank the boost up..... WTF

suddenthomas 10-11-2005 11:44 PM

BOV stands for Blow Off Valve it has nothing to do with the boost controller It has to do with the amount of air sent through your intercooler and or turbo. I personally run a 50/50 blow off which means 50% of air is blown off and 50% is sent through intercooler. Talk to your friend and tell him to learn about turbos before he talks

slug1 10-12-2005 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]BOV does not control boost, a boost controller will. I've also heard lots of people tell me to get a turbo timer to crank the boost up..... WTF[/QUOTE]

ok . . . a BOV does not control boost, neither will a turbo timer, a turbo timer does not "time" the turbo when it is referring to boost. A turbo timer will keep your engine running after you have taken your key out, the purpose is that it will keep oil running in your turbo to cool down the oil. otherwise you turn your car off and the oil stops and the oil in the turbo housing will "cook" the bearings in your turbo thus ending its life sooner. I have a blitz II turbo timers, one of the best, I highly recommend it!

If you want to up the boost, one - get rid of your stock uppipe, if you have a stock WRX -you currently have a cat about 2.5 inches from your turbo, you up the boost and you run the risk of the cat breaking up and entering the turbine housing equating into a new turbo, next use an ECU tool, prodrive,CObb, Utek, Ecutek. That is the best way to raise boost.

fastmatt 10-12-2005 03:07 PM

I would not recommend putting a boost controler on your car..specially on a stock car..

WRXtreme 10-12-2005 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]BOV does not control boost, a boost controller will. I've also heard lots of people tell me to get a turbo timer to crank the boost up..... WTF
[QUOTE=slug1]ok . . . a BOV does not control boost, neither will a turbo timer, a turbo timer does not "time" the turbo when it is referring to boost. A turbo timer will keep your engine running after you have taken your key out, the purpose is that it will keep oil running in your turbo to cool down the oil. otherwise you turn your car off and the oil stops and the oil in the turbo housing will "cook" the bearings in your turbo thus ending its life sooner. I have a blitz II turbo timers, one of the best, I highly recommend it![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Are you explaining to me that a turbo timer does not control your cars boost?? If so I think you may have to reread my post. WTF = W.T.F.

suddenthomas 10-12-2005 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]Are you explaining to me that a turbo timer does not control your cars boost?? If so I think you may have to reread my post. WTF = W.T.F.[/QUOTE]

Hey man I got you nice sarcasim !Thumbs Up

slug1 10-13-2005 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=WRXtreme]BOV does not control boost, a boost controller will. I've also heard lots of people tell me to get a turbo timer to crank the boost up..... WTF[/QUOTE]

I have reread your post, you say

" tell me to get a turbo timer to crank . . . "

according to the modern laws of english that means the turbo timer is doing the cranking, how else can you interpret that????????

WRXnewbie 10-13-2005 03:50 PM

how much air should you put through your intercooler vs blow off. and what is the reason for sending some of the air through the intercooler.

WRXtreme 10-13-2005 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=slug1]I have reread your post, you say

" tell me to get a turbo timer to crank . . . "

according to the modern laws of english that means the turbo timer is doing the cranking, how else can you interpret that????????[/QUOTE]
People tell me that and I look at them like what the f*ck are you talking about. That is why I put the smiley behind it that looks confused. I know sarcasm doesn't work over the internet, but that is why there are smileys to help.....

WRXScoobYWRX 10-13-2005 07:02 PM

LMAO! A turbo timer has absolutely nothing to do with the boost! it just keeps the car on long enough to let the turbo and engine cool off so nothing gets damaged.

suddenthomas 10-13-2005 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=WRXnewbie]how much air should you put through your intercooler vs blow off. and what is the reason for sending some of the air through the intercooler.[/QUOTE]

It depends since you arent heavily modded I take you should run a 50/50 that means 50 percent is recirculated and the other 50 is vented. That is how I am running right now in stage 2 utec. Not sure exactly when you should run 100 atmosphere but sure someone here does ROFL

slug1 10-13-2005 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=WRXScoobYWRX]LMAO! A turbo timer has absolutely nothing to do with the boost! it just keeps the car on long enough to let the turbo and engine cool off so nothing gets damaged.[/QUOTE]

THank you!!!!!

There are people with brains out there!!!

WRXScoobyWRX . . . you rock !Thumbs Up

_04-WRX-grl_ 10-14-2005 12:12 AM

LOL a GIRL with brains at that! :p

WRXtreme 10-14-2005 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=WRXScoobYWRX]LMAO! A turbo timer has absolutely nothing to do with the boost! it just keeps the car on long enough to let the turbo and engine cool off so nothing gets damaged.[/QUOTE]
So I take it everyone on here think that I believe a TT controls boost. I've been a member here for long enought to know that, but you wouldn't believe how many people tell me to get a TT to raise the boost. Then I tell them it has nothing to do with the boost and they are like "Ohhh".