Subaru WRX Forum banner

AccessPort

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Gonk 
#1 ·
With the launch of this new product by CobbTuning, I've decided to start this new thread to get some feedback from the more experienced members (we all know who you are).

There are some members that want to tune themselves and are pretty good at it; thus, they are big supporters of the UTEC. Others, like myself, are not that experienced yet and a reflash from Cobb sounds like a good deal. But, seriously, who wants to send their ECU to Utah for a week? Now with the new accessport, we can do it ourselves, plus it can be used as a diagnostic device for pulling cel codes.

In addition, Cobb will soon be releasing the AccessTuner, which will allow tuning through the accessport.

The accessport costs $555 and cobb is offering free lifetime map download. So what do you think?

D

#4 ·
no, if i am reading it right...accessport is pretty much software for you to reflash the pcm.....and a selectable switch for that.

dunno.....i am reading more on it, since i am interested in it.

edit: i found this:

Designed with convenience and functionality in mind, the AccessPORT is packed with the following features:

Ability to use AccessECU maps without removing ECU
10 Instantly Switchable Maps
Read and Clear Check Engine Lights
Download new maps via the Internet
Revert back to Stock programming

#5 ·
Yes sir, it's probably the Engine Management I'm going to be going with, as it is very simple and there is no piggyback to worry about. For some that would be great at the dealer, however, in my case it really doesn't matter !Thumbs Up.

Unless I decide to go with a Standalone like the new AEM, or possibly the new Nemesis (once they bring it out and I have a chance to see the kinks it's surely going to have).

BLue

#7 · (Edited)
Well then what exactly is the AccessECU? Is that sort of like the UTEC? I'd love to buy the UTEC and use that accessport to switch maps :-D

EDIT: Nm I guess the AccessECU is just an older version of the AccessPORT. I think I am going to stay UTEC for a few reasons. As of now more tuneability. Once the Street tuner/pro Tuner comes out that will cost $1000 and we are already back to the price of the UTEC. I still think the UTEC will prevail because of its reputation and ability to be tuned for all types of modification combinations. I do like the idea of plugging something in to change map and then unplugging it. If I got a laptop and opened the port to the UTEC, could I change maps through the laptop?

#11 ·
you will soon come to find the shortfalls of the UTEC...it is a great management for most cars....however, when you get into the high power outputs, running huge injectors and turbos, you run into a lot of problems with a piggyback system, since you are modifying the signal, and it freaks the ecu out some

with a reflash, or standalone..you can reprogram for them

#13 ·
Just curious...has anyone used the Apexi Power FC for the WRX yet? I don't know if they have one compatable at this time but it is a great computer. It's a standalone system and they are being used alot for the Celicas. They run somewhere around $1000 for the celica. They do everything. Just a thought. Let me know if anyone has experience with it or if they even make one for the WRX.

#14 ·
mtskibum16 said:
Just curious...has anyone used the Apexi Power FC for the WRX yet? I don't know if they have one compatable at this time but it is a great computer. It's a standalone system and they are being used alot for the Celicas. They run somewhere around $1000 for the celica. They do everything. Just a thought. Let me know if anyone has experience with it or if they even make one for the WRX.
AFAIK there is no Standalone made by Apexi for the WRX yet.

#16 ·
fc735 said:
only standalone that is on the market NOW is the POSSUM LINK.....you can get it from Gruppe-s, or straight from LINK...

tehh AEM is still in the works, as is an apexi one, but last i heard Apexi had dropped the prototype..due to expenses or something...
Plus this Nemesis that is still in the works... but we'll see if it ever becomes a viable EM solution.

Blue

#19 ·
the emanage is basically the same as a S-AFC....it modifys the signal from the MAF and therefore changes the amount of fueling....

so it s a piggyback.....

and the greddy, apexi, hks all change the fuel only.....

i can get technical and explain how they change timing too...but that is REAL in depth, but for all practical purposes, they do not have a timing control.....

#23 ·
Ok I am thinking of ordering my AccessPORT this weekend. First question I have is if I install an intake run a 93 octane stage 1 map, will the Perrin Short ram intake mess up the ECU at all?

Also can I reflash the ecu to the acutal stock map so that when the dealer works on it, it will always reset to the stock ECU settings so it would be undetectable. Also if I flash the ECU to a stock map, can I run a realtime stage 1 93 octane map while I drive the car? Thanks

#24 ·
Here's COBB's official answers from their FAQ on their reflashes (accessport basically just lets you do the reflash so I'm pretty sure they are the same).

Q. I have XYZ intake, do you have a map for it?

A. We can do mapping for quite a few intakes that are predictable. We have maps for the original(black) APS, Injen, and most of the short ram hot air intakes. The Blitz is about the only short ram that is not predictable. The car may not be as smooth or might miss out on some power since we have to tune even more conservatively with most of the intakes, but it will be safe, and run better than the factory ECU. Also, let us know what specific intake you have. We have had people order the map for the APS intake when in reality they had other intakes. Needless to say the tune was far from optimal. So far the AEM is about the only intake we have seen that is not predictable. We could make a map for it that would make sure that the car runs rich rather than lean, but the benefits would be far less than that if the customer just removed the intake and used the factory unit. We even have to do that on the dyno for the AEM intake. Also, even if the intake is advertised as not needing correction, causing no errors, or factory specifications, let us know. This is not the case on the intakes that we have tuned that make this claim, they do require correction. Just because the piping that the sensor sits in is the exact factory spec does not mean that there is no turbulence to throw the sensor off. In the end if you want the smoothest running car use the factory air box. If you want the noise and slightly better spool-up, remove the silencer in the fenderwell and toss a panel filter in the stock air-box. On the stock turbo you will make the same power as you will with an aftermarket intake. If you have any questions or want to get the best map, your best bet is to give us the most information you can and let us choose the proper map for your combo.

Q. Can a dealer detect my AccessECU reflash?

A. With the tools currently available at Subaru dealerships, it is not possible for them to detect that the ECU has been modified. We own the same service tools used by all Subaru dealerships and have verified that their function is unaltered by the AccessECU. Therefore, you vehicle can be serviced by the dealership in the same way as a stock vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.