About to start my bugeye Hybrid Build! :) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
Talking About to start my bugeye Hybrid Build! :)

Goodday all,

I don't post often cause I don't really usually have much to contribute. But I'm going to start my 2003 buegye build and just thought I would let yall know what I'm doing, seeing if you here have much advice.

I'm working with Batlground motorsports in Ga for the build. the build we came up with will be as follows:

2.5L STI short block
mahle pistons
eagle rods
STI OEM crank
2.0l heads, polished and machined
Timing belt for 05 STI
timing belt tensioner
sti gasket set
water pump for subaru 2.5
TurboXS FMIC kit
batlground custom turbo kit (includes precision turbo of
choice, batlground header, downpipe, intercooler pipe and
new intake pipe)
oem sti oil pan (this is needed to use a batlground turbo kit)
injectors

custom tune

what else would I need?
I'm thinking a walbro fuel pump, not sure what else

for suspension I was thinking of the KW3's and cusco sway bars.

Current Mods on the car:
Invidia N1 Street TBE with divorced wastegate catless downpipe
Invidia Catless uppipe
Cobb Intake with Air box
COBB AccessPort V2
Cross drilled and slotted rotos
rota rims 17"

any advice is helpful. (and yes, I did search, that's how I cam up with this set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's probably been 4 years since I did mine, but I seem to remember being told to steer away from mahle pistons. What I was told was that they were essentially what was already in the block from the factory, and as you probably know factory pistons suck. Now, weather I was told that they were actually using mahle pistons or they might as well be I don't remember, but I specifically remember a conversation to that effect with one builder.
Not sure if you are planning this, but I took the opportunity to have my heads rebuilt.

Other than that, have fun.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Fuel pump is a must. I'd look into cams depending on what type of turbo you are going with. I use Wossner pistons in every build I have done without any issues, most use CP pistons though. What kind of engine management are you going to use might want to look into a blow thru MAF with that setup as well.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
What size turbo?
#5 Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you get Mahle pistons just make sure they're the right alloy. They make the same 4032 pistons that come from the factory, but also make 2618 pistons which you want.

I want to say the Mahle that are 4032 are the powerpack or something along those lines. Those ones are fine if you're looking for stockish power levels, but anything more you should look at 2618 alloy pistons.

-Chris
#6 Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks for clarifying Chris.

-Brandon
#7 Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
I'll double check the pistons, I'm hoping 2618, but I'll have to check. The STI short block is semi closed with the crank, rods, and pistons already installed. I'm buying it from the shop for $2000. (it was in there shop sti before they sold it and has 3000miles on it) I'm pretty sure it's a decent price though.

as for turbo, I'm thinking the Precision 6262 Ball Bearing, T4 3" V-band.

For cams, I'm thinking of thorwing in cams from the ej257.

Will my COBB V2 work for this setup with a custom tune? I was hoping to stay with it since I already have it.
#8 Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ya, you can get a shop to pro tune with the access port. And definitely check the pistons. I could easily see a shop throwing a brand name around like that to make a customer think it was an upgrade.

-Brandon
#9 Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I did a lot of research on the Mahle pistons back in the day and from what the infamous RAWperformance builder Ron has said before he ran off to spain/whatever. He told me that even the 2618 alloy Mahle pistons were still crap if you were looking for serious power. That CPs was what he recommended. Keith's Wossner pistons are another viable option as well. If you want CPs I'd suggest strongly that you get Swaintech to side and top coat them or they will give you a lot of piston slap.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
i'm going for 300whp or so. maybe 350whp but it's not mandatory, will these mahle pistons hold up with a propber tune and ported and polished heads?
#11 Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't see why not. 300whp isn't really that much, I've seen more from a stock 2.0L. I'd be a little weary of the trans than the motor...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

I could be way out in left field here, but isn't $2000 high for a short block that has upgraded pistons with moderate horsepower limitations. If it were me, I'd basically look at it like it has stock pistons. What's that worth to you?

-Brandon
#13 Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

New shortblocks with stock pistons are that much now...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Right, so I'd say
A. Better off buying new from Subaru
B. Find a deal and save a few hundred
C. Get one that has upgraded pistons for a little more.

I want to say they were $1700 a few years ago when I last checked. Could be wrong.

-Brandon
#15 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

They were, but a price increase caused them to go up. I was thinking I saw one for $2100 last week or the week before. With that power out I'd say just stick with a 2.5 shortblock with a warranty and go from there.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...