About to pull the trigger on exhaust/cobb AP. Flex or non-flex UP? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
About to pull the trigger on exhaust/cobb AP. Flex or non-flex UP?

Hey guys, i'm just about ready to install my Perrin divorced downpipe, borla hush, cobb accessport and downpipe. I've been doing a lot of research on the benefits/disadvantages of having a flex UP. Obviously the flex pipes are easier to install and usually cost less. The disadvantage to a flex UP is that it has a tendency to leak more because it is made of relatively thin stainless steel which will contracts/expands more than cast iron and can cause this phenomenon. This being said, i'm leaning towards a cast iron UP such as the one made by turboXS. My only concern is the difficulty of installing the UP. I'm going to have a mechanic install the entire system who has a ton of experience with turbo cars (mainly Audis, Porsches and VW's). If he is comfortable with installing a cast iron UP should I go for it? Any other UP's you would suggest? I really want to install this once and forget about it. I don't want to monkey around with an inferior product and have to track down an exhaust leak at a later point.

Secondly, since I'm going to use the cobb AP immediately to flash to stage 2, should I even bother with a mechanical cel fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I have the Perrim UP with no problems, some have used solid UP's and had them leak went to the Helix and never leaked again. As long as you buy a quility UP and install it right you should be fine.
The install is fairly easy if you know how to work on cars just a PITA to do, you have to disconnect the motor mount and jack up the engine a bit to remove and install the UP. If it was me I would still install the CEL fix

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
After talking it over with my mechanic I decided to go with the helix flex UP. So why would it be a good idea to go with the cel fix? To prevent the EGT probe from burning out?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Well, my perrin uppipe removed my EGT sensor.. it's still sitting in my stock uppipe in my garage.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2005, 09:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
you do not need any CEL fixes for the UP EGT or the rear 02 sensor, the
AP takes care of them automaticaly.

I would remove the EGT sensor from the harness and remove it from the car (do not install it in the new UP).
post #6 of 7 Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx27 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrx27
The helix uppipe has an EGT bung....
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2005, 11:56 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
If I could do it over, I would get the TurboXS uppipe. Their new one (isn't cast iron) retains the stock inside diameter has a flex section. But the most important part of an uppipe is that you install it properly. Follow Perrin's instructions for installation, they are the best IMO.