800cc injectors? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

chino is an unknown
800cc injectors?

hey guys, i heard that there is a way to make stock injectors flow 800cc's ...if you ever heard of this please post how that can be done...thanx!

[IMG]http://www.jgs348.com/uploader/store/DCAO0051.JPG[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
there sure is, send em' to perrin
#3 Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

chino is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot04
there sure is, send em' to perrin
u know how much that might cost??? est.

[IMG]http://www.jgs348.com/uploader/store/DCAO0051.JPG[/IMG]
#4 Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
There is a way (but I think it's like 750cc or something) but I highly recommend against it. I have heard of nothing but problems running them.
#5 Old 10-31-2005, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
There is a way (but I think it's like 750cc or something) but I highly recommend against it. I have heard of nothing but problems running them.

What issues...from what I understand it is a pretty simple mod that does affect the structure of the injector...I will do some poking around and see what I can see

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#6 Old 10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
What I could find out

http://www.witchhunter.com/ <---- will test the flow

http://www.overboost.com/story_intro.asp?id=1441 <---- some good reading

From what I could figure the only real disadvantage is the spray isn't super clean...but not a huge deal.. As far as modding goes you only need to cut the cap off with a drimmel or something of that nature. And the ones I have heard of being flow tested flow a little over 800cc give or take. I suggest doing a lot of research and making sure this is right for you before you jump into it...I would imagine that controlling the flow would be very difficult and would will need a BIG turbo and other supporting mods to do this.

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#7 Old 10-31-2005, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
i am using a set of sr20 ones which i modded, they work faultlessly with my link management, i am making 375hp at flywheel on 68% duty. get a bench grinder and grind away the restrictor cap with the 4 holes in it- hold the injector at an angle and grind the very fine weld away. takes 1min per injector. sorry i dont have pics but do a search on nasioc for "injector mod" and you will see where to grind. i run stock fuel pressure- 37psi.
and return better fuel economy than stock. not sure if interceptor style ecus can control them.
#8 Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
We put modded stock injectors in three different cars, and in all three of them the cars ran poorly. Even with a UTEC controlling timing, the ECU would still pull timing under load because the ECU was still "seeing" the injectors as 425cc or whatever the stock ones are, and all the extra fuel caused the ECU to go crazy. On the car with an Access Port, it would just barely idle (and the AP had been mapped to work with the larger injectors). It ran inconsitently throughout the RPM range.

All of the cars ran fine with stock injectors and STi injectors.
#9 Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
We put modded stock injectors in three different cars, and in all three of them the cars ran poorly. Even with a UTEC controlling timing, the ECU would still pull timing under load because the ECU was still "seeing" the injectors as 425cc or whatever the stock ones are, and all the extra fuel caused the ECU to go crazy. On the car with an Access Port, it would just barely idle (and the AP had been mapped to work with the larger injectors). It ran inconsitently throughout the RPM range.

The ECU doesn't "see" what size the injectors are.You controll the flow by Injector Duty Cycle.Maybe the person with the Utec didn't know what they were doing.And how is the STi injector any different than the moddified stockers?Its still bigger than stock.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 11-01-2005, 11:26 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4592
http://www.witchhunter.com/ <---- will test the flow

http://www.overboost.com/story_intro.asp?id=1441 <---- some good reading

From what I could figure the only real disadvantage is the spray isn't super clean...but not a huge deal.. As far as modding goes you only need to cut the cap off with a drimmel or something of that nature. And the ones I have heard of being flow tested flow a little over 800cc give or take. I suggest doing a lot of research and making sure this is right for you before you jump into it...I would imagine that controlling the flow would be very difficult and would will need a BIG turbo and other supporting mods to do this.
Witch hunter rocks.I have had great success with them and their superlow $60 fee!

#11 Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum
The ECU doesn't "see" what size the injectors are.You controll the flow by Injector Duty Cycle.Maybe the person with the Utec didn't know what they were doing.And how is the STi injector any different than the moddified stockers?Its still bigger than stock.
I do know what I'm doing. I've tuned more than 20 cars and they all run fine. The STi injectors and stock injectors are different impedence. From what I've seen that is where the problem lies. It may be a completely different reason, but the problem is still there. All three of the cars were '02 models, which may be a part of it. I haven't worked on many 04-05 models.
#12 Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
I do know what I'm doing. I've tuned more than 20 cars and they all run fine. The STi injectors and stock injectors are different impedence. From what I've seen that is where the problem lies. It may be a completely different reason, but the problem is still there. All three of the cars were '02 models, which may be a part of it. I haven't worked on many 04-05 models.
But what does the resistance have too do with in the cause of the modded injectors?The modded injectors are the stock ones so the resistance hasn't changed.There are tons of people running these with no problems.

#13 Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
WRXpert

Quote:

Quote:
The STi injectors and stock injectors are different impedence. From what I've seen that is where the problem lies.
I'm a little confused in what your saying.

#14 Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know the technical details about how injectors, ECU's, and the like work. Perhaps you do and would like to educate us?

I know what I experienced. I took the stock injectors out of the cars and put in modified stock inejctors (we tried two different sets, modified by two different companies). The cars ran bad. I put the stock injectors back in, and the cars ran fine again. I put STi injectors in each of the cars, and they still ran fine.

Every time I changed the injectors, I did the necessary modifications to the UTEC, or had the owner send his ECU back to Cobb to adjust the Access Port map. The problem was the injectors.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that. I don't report on what I've heard, or what I've read. I report on what I have personally experienced. But, I know you like to argue with everything I say, so feel free....
#15 Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
step 1-remove injectors
step 2- modify those injectors
step 3-put injectors back into car from which they came
step 4-tune engine management
maybe you were swapping injectore from different models of subaru
modding the injectors does nothing to the resistance of the electromagnetic coil/solenoid within the injector only changes the amount of fuel which comes out the end because the restrictor is no longer there. when setting correction factor try setting it for 820-850cc injectors, maybe the ECU you are using cant deliver enough voltage at such short pulse widths and cannot adequately control the opening and closing times. admittedly my car at idle runs on the invalid time and shows on the ecu as less than 0% duty cycle.

« vf 39 | Vf22