Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

700-800 Hp Blueprint

83K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all

I just purchased a 2003 Impreza Wrx. I am looking for a laid out blueprint for a 700-800 hp engine. I want an engine that is durable and can last me at least 100,000 miles before any major repair. I also wonder if you can keep this kind of engine quiet to throw off the cops.
Also Transmission suggestions would be appreciated as well. I plan on using it mostly to quarter mile at the track. I would love a car that can get into the 9s in the quarter mile. Ten second quarter would be fine as well.
I will mostly be using it to race more expensive imports. That is the plan anyways.

So far I am looking at the Gruppes assembled engine GS700. The Transmission I am going to get is from Gruppes as well the Subaru STI six speed. I wonder if there are aftermarket transmissions that are better suited for 700-800 horses?

My budget is 30,000
Obviously I would love to spend less. But, not at the cost of reliability. I want a very very durable engine and transmission that can handle tons of torque and horsepower without cracking or exploding on me. Last thing I want happening is my car exploding when I rev up on that lamborghini or BMW. Please help guys. Any suggestions are welcome.

I want the best blue print. I already searched the internet. I only have found engine blueprints for up to 500hp. Help please.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What your asking for is pretty impossible and noone is likely to do all the design work for you on a project this ambitious. Obviously you can get 700 crank hp but I doubt you can make it reliable for 100k miles. Running 700Hp on a stock transmission is definitely a bad idea. Sounds like you want a race car with regular car maintenance.

They do not allow street racing talk on here.
:notgood::notgood::notgood::notgood: :notgood::notgood::notgood::notgood:

#3 ·
I am looking for a laid out blueprint for a 700-800 hp engine. I want an engine that is durable and can last me at least 100,000 miles before any major repair.
This is NOT going to happen period. Once a motor is pushed this hard it's going to need almost yearly service.. Sure it could stay running but it will lose compression and weaken losing power over the years.. Face it, if you want that kind of power then your going to have to do the work and spend the cash to do it right and often to keep in top running condition. A stock WRX 220ish crank hp and you want 700-800 (I assume)

Lets take a real look at this..

Stock 2002/03 wrx should be around 160whp and you want 700-800whp.. At 700whp the motor is producing over 4.25 times it's "reliable factory" condition. So how long do you think it will run??

If you want it to run for 100,000 miles leave it stock and drive it normally.. If you want 700-800whp then sell it and buy a V8 and slap a supercharger on it..

P.S. I have a feeling this is a BS post...

#6 ·
It can be done....I mean look at crawford performance's cars. You can make a 500-600whp sti. Just don't expect it to be reliable. There's even some video on this forum with tanner foust driving a 600 something hp sti on a road course.

Edit: I had to post it up...because I thought it was on this forum already. I saw it somewhere else and it claimed the car was 600 something whp. Heres the forum link. http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f96/tanner-foust-2008-super-lap-record-27246/#post231488

#5 ·
naw dont bring the guy down lol. grab an sti, 3.0 liter, or just find a performance block to swap in, forged internals, dog box transmission, upgraded differentials/axles, beefed up the a** turbo, supporting mods. also BBK. but why would u daily a 700whp car? ## left leg is gonna be bigger than the other due to that heavy clutch. and as they said above ## gonna be lookin at a lot of maintence $$$.

u got $30,000, to drop on parts so i take it u dont got money problems lol. go 4 it. enjoy the project. also if u wanna beat a lambo or a any supercar, all u need is 500 to the wheels

#10 ·
Let me get in contact with my old shop. One of the guys there had an RS, 2years worth of work and was looking at about 700 AWHP out of it. Lots of work though, twin scroll turbo,EWG, 4" exhaust, built 6spd. If the post is real that is.

#12 · (Edited)
To those who think this is BS. Look I am no Automotive expert. I am not even a mechanic. I just always wanted to build my own sports car. I was considering buying a Pontiac G6,G8 and GTO. I also looked at the Honda Civic , S2000, Nissan 350z, Infiniti G35,G37s, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and then I looked at the Impreza and realized this was the car I wanted. So I bought me one. A black 2003 WRX with 83,176 miles on it.

I just wanted a tried and true formula for me to follow. Including the exact parts and set up. I mean exact. I will copy a proven setup step by step.
If 500-600hp will get me 9 seconds in the quarter mile then that is fine with me. I am just a man who wants massive power its only natural.

What is the most reliable 500-600hp set up. I dont care if it is the most common. I just want good advice before I spend my cash.
For starters I am going to buy the Gruppes Gs700 engine already built to go. From there I have no idea what exhaust or turbo to get. Also I want a strong Transmission as well. A proven winner that many have used before. Is a six cylinder swap possible?

Maybe I should have said this is my very first auto project. LOL! Oh well I have the body kit and paint job all planned out. I just want to make sure this baby can fly when I am done.

#16 ·
There is no "Tried and True" formula. A lot rests on the tune. Nont to mention the parts in particular. Look around at the other memebers. There are so many guys that run the same 16g, 20g, even the stock turbo that have power rages all over the place. The same parts on different engines will run different. There are so many variable that come into account.. Even the same engine builder can try to build two identical motors and one will run be stronger, run better, and be more reliable. There are flaws in parts, clearance issues and other factors that really change things.. So what I'm saying even if you copy someones setup it doesn't mean that you will get the same result, it should be close but that doesn't mean it will be as reliable or as fast... You use the same parts that I have and I still couldn't give you my tune..

500whp will not get you into the 9s with a WRX. You are also kind of shooting your self in the foot with the Automatic. That will need built and stalled..

Your definitly going to need:
Meth injection
Nos to spool the hugh turbo at the launch
Hugh turbo, Gt40 or better really.
Go twin scroll if you can foot the bill = much better spool for faster acceleration.
I would look into a fully blueprinted and ballanced 6 cylindar swap.
strong stand alone with a VERY SOLID tune.

Talk to Ron at Raw1performance.com.

Now keep in mind that all this stuff kills longecity.
Meth doesn't compress like air so it puts more stress on bearings.
Nos is not very compatible with the Subaru motor..
A big turbo with high boost puts hugh stress on all internals.

So if you build it you will have a lot of work to keep it running properly.. It's not going to be around for 100,000 miles..

#14 ·
Honestly, it is going to take a LOT of work to build yourself a 9 second car. You're in for quite a project, especially since you know nothing about what you want to build. My advise would be go to a local shop that seriously specializes in Subarus and has had experience in building and working with 9 or 10 second Subarus. Your going to need a huge turbo like a gt35/40/42r, some major fuel work, roll cage, stronger tranny/motor and many, many other things including stuff that meet the regulations of running a 9 second car on the track. Are you planning on driving this car yourself? Have you ever even driven a 400awhp car? Also, it's not going to be reliable. So basically, what i'm trying to say is find a shop that is serious into Subarus and talk to them about your build. This thread talks about wanting a 400hp car, nowhere near what you're looking for, but very informative none the less. Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC

Here are just a few quick links i found with some fast cars and an idea of what their mods are.
http:
//forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767485

http:
//forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852860

AMR Build: Performance Chemicals, LLC. 2006 Subaru STi - 800+whp - More PARTS! PICS! - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

40psi + HTA86/1.06 + AEM = WOW - NASIOC

#17 ·
Hey thanks for the advice.
I have owned a 1969 Corvette that I sold at an auction. It had about 380 to 400hp. I have also had an Iroc Camaro 89 with about 320hp. I also had a Toyota MR2 which caught on fire due to no oil. LOL! I sold them about ten years ago. Since then I was driving around a Honda Accord. Until recently my thirst for power has returned.

As far as driving goes. I have a car in which to do my daily tasks which is a Ford E150. The Suby is just the car to take to the track about 99 percent of the time. There is a Street callled PCH in California where people go to show off there rides. People go to the local pier and basically just flaunt there cars.
Last thing I ever want is to hurt another human being from driving recklessly. Heck I am the type of guy who stops if a dog or any kind of animal is in the middle of my path. Still I have a really good driving record. No accidents in all my life.

#21 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to just do a custom build. Slap a Porsche H6 that's fully built and upgraded. I mean the porsche motors are a little bit more capable of 700 hp. But, Its not going to be easy at all...god knows if you can get a porsche engine to bolt up to wrx drivetrain. I was just thinking that might be slightly more reliable than a stressed out subaru engine.

#22 ·
Good point.

I am doing a whole lot of research right now. I just read about a guy who put a v8 into a Nissan 350z. I know its not a suby but I was just reading the article.
Anyhow I think I am going to go the H6 route. I am probably going to aim for 300-400hp first. Then go from there. I also found another good website for subies.
Xcceleration - Subaru WRX STi Forester XT Legacy GT Baja Turbo Performance Parts

#25 ·
IMO i think putting a V8 into any import kinda defeats the purpose of owning these cars. If you want that much power why not start out with a Supra or some other 6 cylinder platform....When you take one car and slap another car companys motor in it i think its kinda dumb to own the car in the first place. Unless your putting a 350 into a ford or something.. thats okay :)

#27 ·
Maybe my view of this topic is a little too open-minded, but I don't exactly agree with that statement. I think in the past a lot of people have said the same thing about front wheel drive Honda Civics - that since they aren't rear wheel drive, they're not meant for drag racing, but look what so many people have done with them. There are plenty of professional fwd Honda drag cars out there as well as regular Joe-Schmoes who have built some absolutely sick street cars that are insanely fast in a straight line. The parts and knowledge to turn a WRX or STi into a competitive drag car are definitely out there and I always get excited when I see one pulling up to the line to drag race. I think it's great to see a WRX or STi take a big crap on a V8 at the drag strip because it's sort of like the underdog 4 banger beating the big bad V8 at its own game. I have a sense of pride when I think about how many different motorsports a WRX/STi can compete in (rally, drag, auto cross, time attack, DRIFTING, etc.) and how capable our cars are as daily drivers year-round (fast and fun in good weather, and safe and capable in bad weather). There are engine and drivetrain components out there capable of handling huge power numbers on our cars and the all-wheel-drive is certainly an advantage in a drag race as far as traction is concerned. I guess for me it sort of all comes down to trying to do something different. I also claim a HP number is a pretty good goal to work toward (although it shouldn't be obsessed over) because you can use that benchmark to pick out the right parts that might get you there and avoid those that simply won't. I think we should praise marzosirus for thinking outside the box and contemplating such a build and help him along the way if we can. True, his goal is ambitious, but with enough time and money, he can probably get there. Anyway, I apologize for the long-winded post, but I just wanted to throw that out there and I hope I didn't make anybody terribly upset.

#33 ·
Maybe my view of this topic is a little too open-minded, but I don't exactly agree with that statement. I think in the past a lot of people have said the same thing about front wheel drive Honda Civics - that since they aren't rear wheel drive, they're not meant for drag racing, but look what so many people have done with them.
I was actually going along the lines of WRX vs STI. Purchasing an STI would have saved him tons of time and $$$ in the end due to the much beefier drive train,bigger engine,avcs, DCCD and would have been a better suited starting point for his goals. But my only comment on your post would be:

FWD: 8-10% drive train loss
RWD: 12-15% drive train loss
AWD: 25% drive train loss

:D

#30 ·
I havent heard back from my old shop yet, sorry. But in searching and looking around I din find this for you:
And the site that shows pics and a partial list of the modifications done to get the car to where they got it are here:Xcceleration
Dont know if it helps any, but more fuel for your fire man.

#36 ·
#35 ·
To the OP.

Personally I would stay away from group sex "gruppe-s" due to their bad customer service issues. They are known for selling things they have no idea of what it is, they don't like to ship out when they said they do, they also like to loose things. I highly recommend you don't buy an engine or a transmission from them.

brand new gruppe-s motor leaks oil and was put together with epoxy. bought in 08 and gruppe-s still hasn't resolved their problem.
Gruppe-S problem - Subaru Legacy Forums

If I had the extra cash like you did then I would be looking into something like this sleeved fully closed 2.5 block.
FLI Stage 3 Shortblock - $6,375.00 : Fine Line Imports

This setup can support 850 flywheel hp.

Then add "Forced Air Tech's" Twin Turbo and Belt Driven Supercharger to the top end of the motor.

And top it off with a Forsa Intake Manifold

#38 ·
just read this blog and i thik who ever thinks this is a hrad job to do is bloody mad i have a 1995 scooby mcrae edition with 750hp and it eats lambos i have had it running for two years now and am increasing the house power even more my other scooby which is a bug eye is running 600whp easy as i have built my self a top secret engine and is reliable as anything i race it every week, just to let every one know i work for TOP SECRET the biggest japanese tunning group in the world so i know how to build a car, my other cars are a 1999 mazda rx7 a 2000 nissan skyline gtr and a 2009 mitsibushi evo x fq400 all running 600+ hp

#42 ·
It's really really funny. The origional poster was a fresh member when this thread was created and now 950hpscooby is a new memeber, this thread reaks of some one messing around. Some one should check the IPs on the origional poster and 950 to see if they are the same.. Some thing is "fishie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.