Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZOSIRUS View Post
To those who think this is BS. Look I am no Automotive expert. I am not even a mechanic. I just always wanted to build my own sports car. I was considering buying a Pontiac G6,G8 and GTO. I also looked at the Honda Civic , S2000, Nissan 350z, Infiniti G35,G37s, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and then I looked at the Impreza and realized this was the car I wanted. So I bought me one. A black 2003 WRX with 83,176 miles on it.

I just wanted a tried and true formula for me to follow. Including the exact parts and set up. I mean exact. I will copy a proven setup step by step.
If 500-600hp will get me 9 seconds in the quarter mile then that is fine with me. I am just a man who wants massive power its only natural.

What is the most reliable 500-600hp set up. I dont care if it is the most common. I just want good advice before I spend my cash.
For starters I am going to buy the Gruppes Gs700 engine already built to go. From there I have no idea what exhaust or turbo to get. Also I want a strong Transmission as well. A proven winner that many have used before. Is a six cylinder swap possible?

Maybe I should have said this is my very first auto project. LOL! Oh well I have the body kit and paint job all planned out. I just want to make sure this baby can fly when I am done.
There is no "Tried and True" formula. A lot rests on the tune. Nont to mention the parts in particular. Look around at the other memebers. There are so many guys that run the same 16g, 20g, even the stock turbo that have power rages all over the place. The same parts on different engines will run different. There are so many variable that come into account.. Even the same engine builder can try to build two identical motors and one will run be stronger, run better, and be more reliable. There are flaws in parts, clearance issues and other factors that really change things.. So what I'm saying even if you copy someones setup it doesn't mean that you will get the same result, it should be close but that doesn't mean it will be as reliable or as fast... You use the same parts that I have and I still couldn't give you my tune..

500whp will not get you into the 9s with a WRX. You are also kind of shooting your self in the foot with the Automatic. That will need built and stalled..

Your definitly going to need:
Meth injection
Nos to spool the hugh turbo at the launch
Hugh turbo, Gt40 or better really.
Go twin scroll if you can foot the bill = much better spool for faster acceleration.
I would look into a fully blueprinted and ballanced 6 cylindar swap.
strong stand alone with a VERY SOLID tune.

Talk to Ron at Raw1performance.com.

Now keep in mind that all this stuff kills longecity.
Meth doesn't compress like air so it puts more stress on bearings.
Nos is not very compatible with the Subaru motor..
A big turbo with high boost puts hugh stress on all internals.

So if you build it you will have a lot of work to keep it running properly.. It's not going to be around for 100,000 miles..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblack View Post
Honestly, it is going to take a LOT of work to build yourself a 9 second car. You're in for quite a project, especially since you know nothing about what you want to build. My advise would be go to a local shop that seriously specializes in Subarus and has had experience in building and working with 9 or 10 second Subarus. Your going to need a huge turbo like a gt35/40/42r, some major fuel work, roll cage, stronger tranny/motor and many, many other things including stuff that meet the regulations of running a 9 second car on the track. Are you planning on driving this car yourself? Have you ever even driven a 400awhp car? Also, it's not going to be reliable. So basically, what i'm trying to say is find a shop that is serious into Subarus and talk to them about your build. This thread talks about wanting a 400hp car, nowhere near what you're looking for, but very informative none the less. Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC

Here are just a few quick links i found with some fast cars and an idea of what their mods are.
http:
//forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767485

http:
//forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852860

AMR Build: Performance Chemicals, LLC. 2006 Subaru STi - 800+whp - More PARTS! PICS! - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

40psi + HTA86/1.06 + AEM = WOW - NASIOC

Hey thanks for the advice.
I have owned a 1969 Corvette that I sold at an auction. It had about 380 to 400hp. I have also had an Iroc Camaro 89 with about 320hp. I also had a Toyota MR2 which caught on fire due to no oil. LOL! I sold them about ten years ago. Since then I was driving around a Honda Accord. Until recently my thirst for power has returned.

As far as driving goes. I have a car in which to do my daily tasks which is a Ford E150. The Suby is just the car to take to the track about 99 percent of the time. There is a Street callled PCH in California where people go to show off there rides. People go to the local pier and basically just flaunt there cars.
Last thing I ever want is to hurt another human being from driving recklessly. Heck I am the type of guy who stops if a dog or any kind of animal is in the middle of my path. Still I have a really good driving record. No accidents in all my life.
#18 Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike0704 View Post
post pics when u do the build. everyone likes before and aftr pics lol especially a 500whp+ bugeye
Will do.
#19 Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
There is no "Tried and True" formula. A lot rests on the tune. Nont to mention the parts in particular. Look around at the other memebers. There are so many guys that run the same 16g, 20g, even the stock turbo that have power rages all over the place. The same parts on different engines will run different. There are so many variable that come into account.. Even the same engine builder can try to build two identical motors and one will run be stronger, run better, and be more reliable. There are flaws in parts, clearance issues and other factors that really change things.. So what I'm saying even if you copy someones setup it doesn't mean that you will get the same result, it should be close but that doesn't mean it will be as reliable or as fast... You use the same parts that I have and I still couldn't give you my tune..

500whp will not get you into the 9s with a WRX. You are also kind of shooting your self in the foot with the Automatic. That will need built and stalled..

Your definitly going to need:
Meth injection
Nos to spool the hugh turbo at the launch
Hugh turbo, Gt40 or better really.
Go twin scroll if you can foot the bill = much better spool for faster acceleration.
I would look into a fully blueprinted and ballanced 6 cylindar swap.
strong stand alone with a VERY SOLID tune.

Talk to Ron at Raw1performance.com.

Now keep in mind that all this stuff kills longecity.
Meth doesn't compress like air so it puts more stress on bearings.
Nos is not very compatible with the Subaru motor..
A big turbo with high boost puts hugh stress on all internals.

So if you build it you will have a lot of work to keep it running properly.. It's not going to be around for 100,000 miles..

All right thanks for the advice. So a Six cylinder is possible. Cool. I have read about the H6 swap. Have many users been driving this successfully?

Anyhow I have a lot of research to do. I am lucky I work right by the Gruppes actually home base in Lake Forest right by Irvine California. I am going to drive there and ask alot of questions. Gruppes is where I will be buying the block. I also wonder if they can make a titanium block? Will it be stronger then a normal block? A titanium 6 cylinder block? Himmmm...

Anyhow I will post before and after pics once I start. I am excited but I know I have alot of work to do.
#20 Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
All right thanks for the advice. So a Six cylinder is possible. Cool. I have read about the H6 swap. Have many users been driving this successfully?

Anyhow I have a lot of research to do. I am lucky I work right by the Gruppes actually home base in Lake Forest right by Irvine California. I am going to drive there and ask alot of questions. Gruppes is where I will be buying the block. I also wonder if they can make a titanium block? Will it be stronger then a normal block? A titanium 6 cylinder block? Himmmm...

Anyhow I will post before and after pics once I start. I am excited but I know I have alot of work to do.
I have seen Titanium internals however the cost was very high (about double) and the weight reduction in the rotating mass will will hurt the launch. It's just like a light weight flywheel (which I do have myslef). With out that rotating mass inertia when you lauch the car there isn't enougth energy spinning to keep the rpms up and help keep the car from bogging.. That extra weight slows the revs however once you are moving, it's a catch 22 of sorts...

I am sure you can get a fully machined block, solid Alum would be fine, Titanium would be out of that 30000 range, but any forged block would be.. But this is another maitnence requiring thing... I have seen a fored 1.8L with alcohal (full drag car) making 1800 hp.. It was insane..

The H6 is a possible swapp, most don't think the extra 100lbs is worth the power but the first ones that I have seen were not built blocks and so were limited in power and strength.. However I know they are building them up now so more power is to be had..

I understand that it's nice that Gruppe S is close to you but check around, I am not a fan of their stuff (some is good, some is not).. It's fine to get some stuff there but research and spent wisely, and spent once...

#21 Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Wouldn't it be easier to just do a custom build. Slap a Porsche H6 that's fully built and upgraded. I mean the porsche motors are a little bit more capable of 700 hp. But, Its not going to be easy at all...god knows if you can get a porsche engine to bolt up to wrx drivetrain. I was just thinking that might be slightly more reliable than a stressed out subaru engine.
#22 Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just do a custom build. Slap a Porsche H6 that's fully built and upgraded. I mean the porsche motors are a little bit more capable of 700 hp. But, Its not going to be easy at all...god knows if you can get a porsche engine to bolt up to wrx drivetrain. I was just thinking that might be slightly more reliable than a stressed out subaru engine.

Good point.

I am doing a whole lot of research right now. I just read about a guy who put a v8 into a Nissan 350z. I know its not a suby but I was just reading the article.
Anyhow I think I am going to go the H6 route. I am probably going to aim for 300-400hp first. Then go from there. I also found another good website for subies.
Xcceleration - Subaru WRX STi Forester XT Legacy GT Baja Turbo Performance Parts
#23 Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
I thought this might be sorta relevant lol... GEORGIE WRX STI 9.2@150mph new record - Car Videos on StreetFire
#24 Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Good point.

I am doing a whole lot of research right now. I just read about a guy who put a v8 into a Nissan 350z. I know its not a suby but I was just reading the article.
Anyhow I think I am going to go the H6 route. I am probably going to aim for 300-400hp first. Then go from there. I also found another good website for subies.
Xcceleration - Subaru WRX STi Forester XT Legacy GT Baja Turbo Performance Parts
There have been a few V8 swapps into WRXs and EVOs.. However the EVO lost AWD and I assume the WRX did as well... I can't see how they could keep the AWD with a V8 sitting in there forward facing coupled with a transmission strong enough to hold the power..

#25 Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
IMO i think putting a V8 into any import kinda defeats the purpose of owning these cars. If you want that much power why not start out with a Supra or some other 6 cylinder platform....When you take one car and slap another car companys motor in it i think its kinda dumb to own the car in the first place. Unless your putting a 350 into a ford or something.. thats okay

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#26 Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Setting your goal on a HP number is 100% the wrong way to go. A 700whp N/A 6.0L V8 is a totally different beast than a 700 AWHP 2.0L/2.5L flat 4. You picked the wrong platform for drag racing.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#27 Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Maybe my view of this topic is a little too open-minded, but I don't exactly agree with that statement. I think in the past a lot of people have said the same thing about front wheel drive Honda Civics - that since they aren't rear wheel drive, they're not meant for drag racing, but look what so many people have done with them. There are plenty of professional fwd Honda drag cars out there as well as regular Joe-Schmoes who have built some absolutely sick street cars that are insanely fast in a straight line. The parts and knowledge to turn a WRX or STi into a competitive drag car are definitely out there and I always get excited when I see one pulling up to the line to drag race. I think it's great to see a WRX or STi take a big crap on a V8 at the drag strip because it's sort of like the underdog 4 banger beating the big bad V8 at its own game. I have a sense of pride when I think about how many different motorsports a WRX/STi can compete in (rally, drag, auto cross, time attack, DRIFTING, etc.) and how capable our cars are as daily drivers year-round (fast and fun in good weather, and safe and capable in bad weather). There are engine and drivetrain components out there capable of handling huge power numbers on our cars and the all-wheel-drive is certainly an advantage in a drag race as far as traction is concerned. I guess for me it sort of all comes down to trying to do something different. I also claim a HP number is a pretty good goal to work toward (although it shouldn't be obsessed over) because you can use that benchmark to pick out the right parts that might get you there and avoid those that simply won't. I think we should praise marzosirus for thinking outside the box and contemplating such a build and help him along the way if we can. True, his goal is ambitious, but with enough time and money, he can probably get there. Anyway, I apologize for the long-winded post, but I just wanted to throw that out there and I hope I didn't make anybody terribly upset.

John
07 WRX
#28 Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Setting your goal on a HP number is 100% the wrong way to go. A 700whp N/A 6.0L V8 is a totally different beast than a 700 AWHP 2.0L/2.5L flat 4. You picked the wrong platform for drag racing.

Quite frankly I really do not care what you have to say. It is my money I will do what I feel fit.
#29 Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

MARZOSIRUS is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by booosted09 View Post
IMO i think putting a V8 into any import kinda defeats the purpose of owning these cars. If you want that much power why not start out with a Supra or some other 6 cylinder platform....When you take one car and slap another car companys motor in it i think its kinda dumb to own the car in the first place. Unless your putting a 350 into a ford or something.. thats okay

The idea is to combine Japanese chassis with the American engine.
All though after doing some research I am finding that the six cylinder japanese engines are a capable beast already. No real need for the V8.
#30 Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I havent heard back from my old shop yet, sorry. But in searching and looking around I din find this for you:
And the site that shows pics and a partial list of the modifications done to get the car to where they got it are here:Xcceleration
Dont know if it helps any, but more fuel for your fire man.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Closed Thread