Subaru WRX Forum banner

4eat front diff and

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
So i am looking to change the front differential fluid on my 04 WRX. I just did the rear diff and it was a breeze. i am not sure about the front however. i have heard that the front diff is just ran off the tranny fluid for the 5spd, and the 4eat has separate fluid for the front diff. How would i go about changing out the front diff fluid?

#2 ·
there is a drain plug on the bottom and you will have two dip sticks on your trans, one on the left and one on the right side. I changed my friends out for him and that plug was on there so darn tight. haha good luck man.

#5 ·
So, apprantly you did no really read the PDF. I just looked at it and found the answers to all your questions. Of the two dip sticks one on the right side and one on the left. The one dipstick has 4 markings on it. Hot - (H)igh, Hot - (L)ow, Cold - (H)igh, and Cold - (L)ow is the transmission dip stick. The other dip stick that has only a (H)igh and (L) marks on it....is your diff dip stick. The PDF has a pictures of the drain plug locations. The picture is kind of confusing, but the diff drain plug looks like its by a Y-pipe of some sort and it looks like its below the drive shaft. Look at page 51 on the PDF to see what I am talking about. Plus, it says to fill the diff with 1.3 US Qts of GL-5 or equivalant diff oil in the guage hole (where you pulled the dip stick out of). Lower the car before you fill it though. Without real pictures that is about as good as I can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.