4EAT Dyno Numbers - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

PSSSHHH is an unknown
4EAT Dyno Numbers

Hello everyone, I was looking for some input as to why these numbers might be so low for the wrx. This is just a baseline dyno for reference to future mods.

142whp
151 ft-lbs

Mods:
Unknown brand (maybe ebay) MAF housing with a k&n cone filter.
HKS Carbon TI exhaust
Optima Redtop
2.0 EJ205 + TD04 w/ 4EAT

should I be worried about the severely low numbers?
I feel the MAF housing might have killed my AF ratio's bad enough to rob power but I have no clue as to what is optimal.

Should I run a compression test?

also, I was talking to the dyno operator, he was saying the 4eat and UTEC have had issues in the past, so is cobb a best bet for tuning it with the unknown intake or should i go another route?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The 4eat losses even more power through the drivetrain than the 5 or 6spd. What type of dyno was it, the temps? There are many factors that can affect your results. I dont have much experience with tuning other than the AP, pricey, but I love it. There is also opensource tuning. You need to tak to who is going to tune your car and see what they are msot comfortable with also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

PSSSHHH is an unknown
dynojet dyno, 68 degrees out, the tuner said he's most familiar with the UTEC but as stated the utec has issues with the 4eat. also, isnt an 85 hp drop from the advertised 227 a bit steep? Thanks in advance!
#4 Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It is steep, but do remember or realize that the rated HP is at the crank. And the drivetrain loss on a 5spd is roughly 30 or so percent. And the 4EAT is a bit more. Im familiar with how "slow" the 4EAT can feel. I have a stage 2 05 4EAT and an 07 5spd pushing 326AWHP. Another thing to do is ask the tuner what cars similiar to yours produce on that exact dyno. If the tuner is familiar with the Utec that can be difficult, but see if he can tune with the AP, if so you should be able to find a used one for a decent price.

On a side note what are your goals for the car; i.e. power or mods you plan to do?

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

PSSSHHH is an unknown
power goals are to run a 12.9 in the 1/4. The tuner doesnt have the cobb protuner software so he deals with utec for wrx's mostly. He told me he doesnt like to mess with opensource due to lack of support when needed (which is very understandable). The nearest cobb protuner is ~150 miles away which I dont want to do unless nothing else is compatable with the 4eat.

I was looking into a megan racing catless DP, gutted stock UP, sti Pinks, walbro FP, vf34/16g/18g (undecided), full synthetic fluids, 1 step colder plugs and a possible Front mount. Ive had my WRX for a month now and its time for upgrades :-)
#6 Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM

These are the Cobb maps that are pre-programmed into the AP when you buy it cobb . wrx accessport . map listing You can get a protune ontop of it to gain more power as these maps are "safe". For these maps you need to stick to exactly whats in the notes. With the 34/39 you could possibly hit that mark with good r/t and all.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
getting 12.9 with the 4eat generally requires a high torque stall converter (that the right name?). Stock tranny is so slow shifting, you'd need tranny breaking power for good times.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

PSSSHHH is an unknown
EEK!!! Now im worried about running too much power on the stock internals just to compensate the 37.5% drivetrain loss. and those numbers are with intake/exhaust.

ive seen 320 crank hp is a safe stopping point on a ej205, can anyone give me insight to this being true or not?