Subaru WRX Forum banner

Is 48 Offset Right for 225/45/R17 Tires on an '04 WRX?

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
This is the '04 STi OEM tire size, so I suspect they should fit in the WRX wheel wells.

See less See more
#7 ·
There are no clearance issues with it if you keep the offset high enough. 17x8" +48 with 235/40R17 has a nice gearing advantage, a full 30mm more tire than stock, and fits beautifully on the 02-07 sedan. But your rear fenders are ever so slightly different than the JDM stock, which does cost you a mm or two of clearance in the back but it's not going to matter.

If your car is totally "slammed", way lowered in the rear, you can introduce clearance problems. Certainly not going to be an issue on a stock suspension and +48 worth of offset or more. I run 255/40R17 at +48 offset on my STi which has your exact rear fenders. That size doesn't quite clear the rear fender lip, but 235 is a full 10mm further away you'll be fine.

#9 ·
17x8" isn't enough for 255/40R17. I run 17x8.5" and I had to really work to track down some that had that width and still managed +48 offset that also clear brembo brakes and were 5x100 bolt pattern. TR Motorsports MT-1 17x8.5" +48. No they don't make them anymore. They were enkei's custom ordered and branded by tire rack. And I do rub on my rear fenders slightly. Every year I say I need to get them rolled...

#11 · (Edited)
I decided to go with Sparco Tarmac 17x8" wheels and 225/45/R17 Direzza ZII tires.

My other tire/wheel combinations (225 w/7" wheel and 245 w/8" wheel) got this comment from my car Club, because they know I'll be pushing the "Rex" hard in Autocross and in Lapping sessions, from time to time:

"Both of your wheel /tire selections use the minimum width rim allowable for that tire size. You'll get way too much tire deflection in the corners and it will feel like crap when cornering on tarmac."

This tire and wheel combination are better suited to each other, and plenty capable.

#12 · (Edited)
Nice wheel choice OP! I like those as well and it's always nice to see something different on a Rex besides you know what...

What was said on width of your tire choice is true though if things like AutoX are what you're going to be doing. A 235/245 would've been a better choice IMO for an 8" wheel but give em a few events and see how you personal feel about them. But I'm sure the tire choice was what was recommended to you by the online vendor you went with even though you decided on an 8" wheel. They'll always "recommend" the narrowest tire possible for a wheel as they want to keep their "package price" down and make themselves seems better than the competition. They all do it, so no reason to hold gripe. Like I said though, try em out and if you don't like em I'm sure they'll sell fast on CL or NASIOC.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
I agree the 235/45/R17 is a better size for grip and performance, but I found far fewer options in that width, and tons of options in the 225 and 245 width.

I could always go with some 235 width tires for my next set, since something tells me that these might wear out in due course. Ha ha.

#13 ·
I think those Sparcos look a lot like Enkei RPF1s. Although they're cheaper, they weigh a good bit more. I think those 17x8 Sparcos weigh ~22 lbs each, but the RPF1s in the same size weigh ~16 lbs each. I'm really not trying to bust your chops because they're pretty good looking wheels - just didn't know if you took that into consideration before the purchase. Anyway, I'm anxious to see a pic or two once they're installed.

Nice choice on tires! I'll probably go with those when my Star Specs wear out.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your thoughts, gents. I read that the Sparco Drift wheels I was considering initially are 22 lbs, and the Sparco Tarmac wheels are 20.4 lbs, which is one reason I chose them. Enkei RPF1s are double the price and too expensive for me at this time. The other reason is that they have a closer to OEM color, which is the overall look I want for the big-wing Rex.

I'm going to need wheel locks because they will look so good. Ha ha. :)

#17 ·
Weight is a huge consideration for performance, so I appreciate your input. Car Club members routinely prioritize weight over appearance in the search for ever-greater performance. Since mine will be primarily street, I am looking for a balance.

I'm happy with this choice, and I know it will serve me well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.