350whp help! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I dunno about the actuator there, sorry. Never gotten my hands on a 18G yet. Call up FP or whoever else you're going with though, they can answer that quickly.

TMIC vs FMIC is a big debate 'round these parts. The FMIC of course is larger, but also has a lot more pipes to and from. Wish cosmo was here to talk to ya, he had both an APS 650 FMIC and various TMIC on his ride (had a VF34). I think he used to say the FMIC spooled about 200rpms later. To him, that was a minor thing but I always thought that to be huge. I don't think he managed more power with the FMIC either. If it's hot and humid where you live though, maybe you need it. Not sure how big the STi TMIC you get over there is. If it's the same as ours, it's a little small even for our VF39 so yeah, I could see the VF30 hittin it too hard.

Sorry not to give you an answer there. Anybody who says something definite is probably just guessing anyway. Hard to tell you one way or the other.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There are two things you'll notice with a fmic:
1. Delayed boost threshold: boost threshold is the time it takes for your turbo to kick in after flooring it from a low rpm.
2. Throttle response/lag: although people always use the term "lag" to describe #1, lag is actually the time it takes for your turbo to spool up at a given rpm.

So say after a turbo swap, your turbo kicks in at 3.5k rpm instead of 3k rpm like it used to. What you've done is delayed boost threshold. Now lets say you're cruising on the freeway. Before the turbo swap, it would take 2 seconds for your turbo to kick in after punching it at 4k rpm. Now it takes 3 seconds. That one second is extra lag.

It's really quite funny that you're asking all these questions about cooling and lag now, because that's what I'm addressing right now as well. Here's what I've got on my list:
1. Heat wrap/coat headers, downpipe, turbo blanket
2. Real phenolic intake mani spacers
3. Automatic ic sprayer (sprays on its own depending on temps, idcs, etc.)
4. Meth kit

Those four things will drop intake air temps A LOT. They will be more effective at cooling than a fmic, without the extra lag, and all for about the same price. Something to take into consideration.
#18 Old 05-10-2007, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
Thanks WReXd , lag vs cooling + trying to compromise in making power is always a difficult topic to advise , i hear what you say , my tuner seems to be more inclined that a TMIC with good thermal protection should make the car more responsive for street use vs A FMIC . What brand thermal blanket , dont know much about this ?

CAn I ask your advice what specific things including products eg what type of thermal wraps etc should i use in minimizing heat soak to a TMIC since you are dealing with similar issues .

Thanks again BRO !!
#19 Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
MOSC also great advice from you I am going TMIC as you have advised . Any heat soak prevention ideas ,.
#20 Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

valetudospan is an unknown
Good Stuff!
#21 Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Also retuning with a 3port solenoid(GM,Prodrive,Perrin) will help the turbo spool up and will have much better control of top end boost control.Also porting/polishing the turbo can help with spool up/throttle responce as well.I would also look into a lightned flywheel.An 18G with EWG would do the trick.Mitsubishi turbo's are VERY efficient and like high boost appossed to the IHI VF series.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#22 Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Damn Mr B your lucky your have the JDM car. I wonder if the JDM wrx's have any issues with their tranny's

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#23 Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

phillepe is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to phillepe
every piece of advice given here so far is sound MrB. I thought that the closd deck design was discontinued after 96 tho. even for the JDM models. But with your forged internals, bosst the hell out of a 18g, and see what you get. Lag vs. top end power should be close to what you want.
#24 Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thanks WReXd , lag vs cooling + trying to compromise in making power is always a difficult topic to advise , i hear what you say , my tuner seems to be more inclined that a TMIC with good thermal protection should make the car more responsive for street use vs A FMIC . What brand thermal blanket , dont know much about this ?

CAn I ask your advice what specific things including products eg what type of thermal wraps etc should i use in minimizing heat soak to a TMIC since you are dealing with similar issues .

Thanks again BRO !!
A lot of people use thermo-tec:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I myself have one waiting to be wrapped around an 18g that I'll be picking up in a few weeks . If you can wait that long, I'll probably have some left over that I could sell to you for like $30.

I'm also getting this intercooler spray module:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0578&P=1
What it does is it decides when to spray the intercooler depending on the ambient temp, ic temp, and injector duty cycle (so that it knows when the car's under load). What's cool about it too is that it "learns" your driving habits, kinda like an ecu.

On top of that, I'm coating my equal length headers, turbo, and (maybe) downpipe as well. Then I'll wrap the headers, slap on the turbo blanket, and chill (yeah, I know that was lame). I already have the wrap, blanket, ties and stuff waiting at home. I just need a free weekend and that 18g.

On top of THAT, I'm going to get intak mani spacers to cool intake temps more:
http://www.kstech.biz/servlet/the-7/...spacers/Detail

And then, of course, a meth kit, which is a whole story in and of itself. I'll probably do this one later since it's gonna cost the most (but it'll be the most affective as well!)
#25 Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
sounding real good , which 18g are you using 7cm or 8 cm . I still have to buy parts , your project will probably start before mine . Like the idea of wrapping everything , except not sure if wrapping non stainless steel headers will eventually lead to cracking of the cast iron pipes .

I am also looking for a good EMS .
#26 Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
I forgot to mention the JDM sti has an IC spray which can be used manual as well as auto setting ,I plan on adding another sprayer , probably the cusco spray nozzle ,also on rallyspordirect web site , I saw a 12L IC container made to fit in the trunk, original STI product used in spec C vwehicles , comes with fitting and a pump , something for you to consider .
#27 Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Originally I was planning on getting the 7cm, but I found a good deal on the 8 so I'll probably just go with that. Hopefully it won't be too laggy.

As far as wrapping the cast iron headers is concerned, I think you may be better off just ceramic coating them instead. Cast iron already retents heat pretty well as it is.

The difference between my auto spray and the jdm ic spray's auto setting is quite different. If you press the auto button of the jdm ic spray, it'll keep spraying until you press the button again. Although this is fine from a performance standpoint, it's not in a practical sense. Every time you put it on auto mode, you'll end up using A LOT of water unless you make sure that you turn it off again. With the auto spray I'm buying, you never have to press any buttons at all (unless you want to). The ic spray will only spray when it needs to (i.e. when ic temp is hot, when you're actually moving, etc.) I've seen the spec c tank around before... the problem with the container is it's almost $300. That's a ridiculous price for a tank, pump, and fittings, if you ask me.

As far as engine management is concerned, I really wanted to get an accessport, if only for the on-the-fly map switching feature. That feature is crucuial if you have a meth kit for obvious reasons... you don't want to be driving around under 5 psi if you run out of meth. However, the ap is not jdm ecu compatible.

Ecutek is another possibility, but I hate how they lock you out of your ecu and make it so that you can't use another form of em. Plus it's pricey, and I hear their map switching feature plain sucks.

I considered getting a utec, but I don't know anything about piggybacks so I didn't want to go that direction.

I ended up going open source. It's a lot cheaper than all the other forms of em. They don't currently have the ability to switch maps on the fly, but with the development of ramtune, real time tuning and on the fly map switching will be possible in a few months. I'm willing to wait, so it's no big deal for me. I think ideally, if you want every sing hp you can get out of your setup, you should get some sort of reflashing em (like open source) and a utec.

Plus you don't exactly live nearby so you should check to see what local tuners use. Whatever they use areound your parts is what you're probably going to be stuck with. The good thing about socal is I can pretty much choose any form of em and get a tune nearby (except with an xede, haha)
#28 Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
Just to keep u guys updated , i have acquired all the parts and have made a few changes to accomplish 350whp goals on pump gas.MY car is a JDM 2L sti .

Doing the mods soon with an ECUTEK tune .
Performance Mods are as follows :- APS uppipe, perrin short ram , Turbo xs FMIC , Blouch TDO5H 18G 8cm, PE 800cc, Perrin fuel rails, Blitz BOV , Cusco DP, Blitz Nurspec R 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 pump,ACT street and strip , hawk HPS pads with steel braided lines, colder plugs,rolling on Direzza Z1 tires with Hotbits DT1 40 way adjustable coilovers;WRC spec , Defi gauges water temp,oil temp, oil pressure, boost pressure and AEM AFR to monitor everything .

Stay tune !!

Last edited by Mr B; 09-15-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: made a mistake
#29 Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
nice, 20g might give u some lag but might get u to your goals, hope everything turns out great. let us know about it when u finish it.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#30 Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
hope to eliminate some of that lag by using TDO5 turbine port and polish with port and polish APS uppipe with heat wrap, the free flowing Cusco DP is a divorce type , so should help there a bit and the turbo is hot jet coated to lock in the heat in the turbo to maintain exhaust gas flow.The Turbo XS piping diameter is also not too large.

If there is some lag > than my stock VF30 , i have a 8000rpm redline , should be fun.