350whp help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
350whp help!

i have a JDM 2002 Sti with the following upgrades ; Cusco downpipe , CAI , BOV , grounding kit , HKS hipermax coilovers , HKS Hi power 3" exhaust , APS uppipe, defi gauges , AEM VEGO, SPT KIT. Stock on the car are VF30 turbo , STI TMIC , STI pink injectors .

I would like to keep the car streetable , I love Torque , would like to build an all out fun to drive car , pulling strong on all gears , i do occasionally street race , EVOs , skyline .

Can you make recommedations to build around 350whp . The redline in the car is 8000rpm , internals are factory forced pistons with a closed deck .

I was thinking of a TD05 -18G 8cm2 , 720cc, FMIC , AEM fuel rail , 255 walbro pump , FPR , and AEM EMS .

your opinions Also please on larger TMIC vs FMIC , 650cc vs 720cc , is a new fuel rail necessary ?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
experience with JDM engines here is limited. Your motor revs higher and has better internals than our EJ20 (which we phased out back in 06). I know 350whp is definitely reasonable for that engine but I'm not sure if the turbo you picked is gunna make it. You might consider a 20G or even switching to a GT30R or similar. You'll need to get into revs before that thing spools of course but your extra 1000 usable rpms should keep it more streetable than a similar power USDM EJ20.

The TMIC is gunna be getting overworked by such large turbos. You could certainly make it work though (soaf here dynoed 420 or so with a TMIC). I'd suggest the APS TMIC if you go that route, it's the biggest. Probably a sprayer would help too. FMIC of course gives you more cooling.

Injector size you probably want 720cc

I have no idea what your stock fuel delivery system looks like though, it's possible you might not need new fuel rails.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
18g would get you there but youd be pushing it kinda hard. maybe a 20g would be better and then youd have room to grow. a gt30r is a 400+ whp turbo so unless you plan to go bigger i would go with the 20g.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#4 Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Garage
yeah, GT30R's probably more than you want to spool. 20G is still pretty laggy anyway.

#5 Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
hey,
you're in asia it should not be hard to source a twin scroll header+turbo. You mentioned you like torque, a twin scroll and a vf36/37 should give you early spool and get you to 350 whp range. Also, definitely bigger cooler, TMIC=less lag than FMIC. Fuel rails will work, 255 lph fuel pump and larger injectors is a good idea.
But if no twin scroll, 18g and TMIC, +injectors and a pump++ a tune and goodbye evo.

Good luck,

Mike

drive = freedom
#6 Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
Thanks for your input guys , stock fuel system is a 180L/min fuel pump , 525cc injectors .

Which 20G would you recommend ; the TD05 or TD06. Dont know if the TD05-20G is 8cm .

As for the GT30 , would that not spool too late, will suffer low down power .

TMIC vs FMIC , FMIC it is said gives more lag , does anyone have any experience how much . Does a good tune eliminate FMIC lag .

My friends who have VF36/37,Imake more power with the VF30, EVOs at present I can easily out accelerate.

Would a TD05-20G be out of breath at top end on the 2.0L motor .

TO summarize ,your recommendatios are :

1. larger TMIC vs FMIC
2. 720cc
3. GT30 or 20G
4. 255 walbro
5. Fuel rail

DOes anyone know if I should upgrade the actuator or run an external waste gate ? I plan on boosting max at 20-22 psi .

Thanks
#7 Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Garage
I just don't think you can have 350whp without large lag on a 2.0L motor, you're going to have to make a call

TD06-20G with a FMIC

or

TD05-18G with a TMIC

decent lag characteristics or laggy with power.

On your fuel system, yes you're definitely going to need new injectors and a new fuel pump. However, I don't know about the fuel rails (you did ask that).

GT30's a lot of turbo and would be very laggy.

#8 Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

White GDA is an unknown
Quote:
My friends who have VF36/37,Imake more power with the VF30, EVOs at present I can easily out accelerate.
True...but this depends alot on whether the cars you're comparing with are running a "protune" or not.

b7g has a point in that the twin scroll will give better spool characteristics. However, in terms of actual SCFM flow, I don't think you'll be much better off with a VF36/7, as opposed to your current VF30.

Quote:
I just don't think you can have 350whp without large lag on a 2.0L motor, you're going to have to make a call

TD06-20G with a FMIC

or

TD05-18G with a TMIC

decent lag characteristics or laggy with power.
I suppose the term "lag" is relative. For a WRX driver, a VF30 powered STi feels like it has some more lag before the actual power band kicks in. But mosc raised a good point..... 2.0L might need more displacement to get good low end response?
#9 Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
id say mix and match moscs. go with the td05 20g w/ a fmic. would lag as much as the td06 but would still get you 350 whp. or a tdo6 20g w/ tmic. mix and matching the td06 with tmic would leave you room to expand as well.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#10 Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I would like to keep the car streetable
for this reason, I think you should stick with the 18g. lag may be relative, but it's not THAT relative. you'll be pushing the turbo pretty hard, but it should be ok. I would add something to that list though... a meth injection kit. It'll do a lot to help you get to that 350 whp goal. Btw, I have the same engine as you so I know where you're coming from. Except I'm not looking for as much power as you, probably only 310-320.

As far as twinscroll is concerned, there's no way a vf37 is going to get you to 350whp. You can get upgrades done to it, though. If you can afford that, I say go for it.
#11 Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
for this reason, I think you should stick with the 18g. lag may be relative, but it's not THAT relative. you'll be pushing the turbo pretty hard, but it should be ok. I would add something to that list though... a meth injection kit. It'll do a lot to help you get to that 350 whp goal. Btw, I have the same engine as you so I know where you're coming from. Except I'm not looking for as much power as you, probably only 310-320.

As far as twinscroll is concerned, there's no way a vf37 is going to get you to 350whp. You can get upgrades done to it, though. If you can afford that, I say go for it.
Nicely said TD05-18G with a TMIC will keep it streetable even if it doesn't make 350

#12 Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
Okay so its either TD05H -18g 8cm with TMIC(less lag ),but less whp compared with FMIC more lag but more whp . THis leaves a dilema of how much lag is there with the FMIC vs TMIC . I know definitely a FMIC will make more WHP vs TMIC .

Anyone knows how much lag ? Does the 18G 8cm works better with EWG .

Thanks for your input , guys , I am taking all your advice seriously .
#13 Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Garage
all turbos work better with an EWG, it's just overkill for many of the smaller ones. If money is no option, the EWG will help a little.

Personally, I don't think a FMIC frees up that many ponys. You can get a sprayer or other means of cooling the TMIC if it's really limiting. Again, strongly consider that TMIC from APS. It's huge.

Anybody want to guess HP for this? I'd say 315.

Also, had a crazy thought. Doesn't somebody make a 20G on the TD05 housing?

#14 Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
APS TMIC looks good , the STI TMIC i have at present has a water sprayer , yet I find it gets really hot . I also read larger TMIC also suffers from more heat soak .But from a streetabilty position I am guessing the TMIC will be more trottle responsive .A larger 18G will produce more heat .

Thanks bro , have you any personal experience TMIC vs FMIC .
#15 Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr B is an unknown
I would like to run 20-22psi . would i have to request a stronger actuator over stock on the 18G 8cm .