Subaru WRX Forum banner

$3 boost mod

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  WagonRex 
#1 ·
Did this a couple days ago.

Bought a package of 3/16" vacuum T's from the auto parts store.
2 in a package , look like X's

Removed all vacuum line from between the comp.housing and wastegate , including the restrictors and T-input for the solenoid
Cut one of the hoses in 2 pieces and attach all the X's
Reinstall between wastegate housing and compressor housing.

DO NOT reattach the solenoid line...............block it off.

You should be able to spike to 18 psi and it will level off at 16 psi above 5000 rpm.

cheapest boost mod I've found so far!Thumbs Up

My only concern is how much richer the car will run , but it should just be like using an MBC
I also haven't noticed any difference in idle vacuum( I have an Autometer PSI boost guage, instead of the factory BAR guage)

Lemme know your thoughts on this............

See less See more
#2 ·
I did have one issue today.

Its about 35*F today and I was boostin' pretty hard......The CE light lit after it hit 18psi......Wonder if I hit fuel cut ,and maybe because of the temperature????
Generally , above 55*F , it doesn't boost past 17psi.

I have to do some more research:eek: :eek: :eek:

#5 ·
ok...you're heading in wrong direction....

MAX BOOST doesn't equal more power. (i.e. If you have a bigger turbo, you won't need as much boost as with your stock smaller turbo- but you will make more power)

It surely WAS fuel cut. The stock ecu will cut, after 17.5 (or so) PSi. No matter how much power the stock fuel system is good to, the ecu doesn't like that much boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.