275whp How would you do it? - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 Old 09-29-2004, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
the 260-280 figure is to the crank. the topic of this thread is 275 to the wheels which is more than 300 to the crank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 09-29-2004, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
speaking of 275 to 300 whp ... does anyone know of a good way to make the crank to wheels horsepower conversion? I usually just make estimates, but it wouldbe nice to have an equation or something to make more accurate calculations. Anyone?
post #33 of 53 Old 09-29-2004, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
not the best because it's using 18% DT loss. the WRX has more of a loss.
http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm
post #34 of 53 Old 10-01-2004, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
Because of the all wheel drive action, the WRX has closer to 23-25% drive train loss. If you put a better tranny, clutch, motor/tranny mounts, and LSD's in, you can reduce that percentage. I was putting 301 to the wheels. I was told that I was probably putting closer to 380 at the flywheel. I talked to a few dyno guys and they all said the same thing. so 275 is closer to 350 at flywheel. not bad numbers.

Also, try to listen to people who have been there, done that. Magazine articles are in mags that have sponsers and companies who pay them to promote their product. So they are going to be bias to whatever their sponsers are. They will also inflate numbers to do that. Just keep that in mind. Your best source for info on tuning up your car is right here. Forums are the best. None of us will lie to you. I want to see all WRX owners out there stomping the competition, not just me!
post #35 of 53 Old 10-01-2004, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to RAAZ227
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
13.4 1/4 mile with just an ACCESSport and exhaust. Must be an incredible driver.....or an incredible lie.

So your saying this is BS??? It's not possible?
post #36 of 53 Old 10-02-2004, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
I suppose it could happen but an uppipe is necessary if boost is going to be raised that much. Also it will be hell on the clutch and tranny.
post #37 of 53 Old 10-04-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wilsonucon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
Also it will be hell on the clutch and tranny.
When I was thinking about this whole thing I wasn't really considering this at all because I never launch my car that hard but I'm guessing once you get to those numbers if you beat on it you're gonna break it.
post #38 of 53 Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
uhhh

hell on the clutch and tranny is high twelves, death to a stock wrx tranny is probably 12.5's regularly...

13.4's not all that bad to the tranny/clucth, hanlde it just fine.... shave 1/2 second off that and now you're talking tranny trouble if you keep trying to do it week after week...
post #39 of 53 Old 10-07-2004, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

blackie is an unknown
I hit 272 whp and 259wtq on a dynojet with cobbs stage 2.5 (vf34) and header, i had stock tmic and custom exaust and probably only spent around $2,200 total for everything at that time.
post #40 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

kylo19 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to kylo19
VF turbo of choice($600-900)
UTEC($1000)
TBE($1000)
uppipe($200)
STI injectors($400)
Fuel Pump($150)

I still think people on this forum underestimate their car... Im spankin STI's and EVO's with tbe, uppipe, intake, vf23, fuel pump and an avcr set at 17 psi. And those are from a 20 MPH roll so u cant say much about "ITS all driver". I would say just get TBE, uppipe, utec, proper fuel and the vf turbo of your choice and you should be more than happy with the results. OH and as for clutch and tranny just dont launch hard all the time... in fact, unless ## at the track, try not to launch hard at all.
post #41 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Um...

not sure i get that...

you say from 20 roll... you're beating STi's and evos... first of all... where's that BS Flag when you need it??? anyone? --well, maybe not, you are near equivalent of stage 4, and that beats a stock evo/sti i'm sure... but still... 23 is a small turbo, no?? isn't smaller than 30/34... i can't remember... anyways...

specifics?.... you beat them up to what mph? second of all, by how many car lengths, third of all, what gear did you start in... ### 20mph role in first is going to have you rolling at something like 5000rpm i would think, and 20mph roll from 2nd gear is going to bog you down i would think... correct me if i'm wrong.

not saying we couldn't beat a stock EVO or STi in stage 4 car, just that both those cars' post-purchase potential to produce more power for each $1 is better than a WRX's... they start with more power at purchase, and the STi starts with bigger displacement, and hte 4g63 starts with more yrs and cheaper upgrade paths... i've heard of STi's with TBE, stock turbo, boost control and engine mngmt, 50 shot nitrous, running 12.20's... (12.6's off the bottle)... now that's certainly more potential than a WRX for the little aftermarket $$ investment. But anyways... stock STi vs TXS stage 2 wrx, i say the wrx loses the drag race, and loses the roll race for certain...

my .02
post #42 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
I belive him. No doubt about it. Those mods should put him in the 12sec range.
post #43 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

kylo19 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to kylo19
First of all, Raise wutever flag you want cause im gonna post videos asap. Yes the vf23 is a small turbo but it IS bigger than stock and has loads of low end torque, that would be why I race from a first gear roll. 20 miles per hour is right in first gear power band. As for the rest of your questions just wait for the video.

Aftermarket money investment????????? Who the hell looks at it that way. Look at it like this WRX: about 26k brand next with tax. STI: about 35k brand new. IF all you want is speed its as easy as dump the extra 9 grand into the wrx. Im only at around 3k overall so im guessing with 9k into my car i wouldnt even waste gas on STI's n EVO's. Potential in my dictionary means Which car you can make faster in the long run. The sti has higher compression and higher displacement... cant cram as much boost into it. www.easystreetmotorsports.com take a look at their wrx and tell me If you see any STI's that fast.
post #44 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

RAAZ227 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo19
First of all, Raise wutever flag you want cause im gonna post videos asap. Yes the vf23 is a small turbo but it IS bigger than stock and has loads of low end torque, that would be why I race from a first gear roll. 20 miles per hour is right in first gear power band. As for the rest of your questions just wait for the video.

Aftermarket money investment????????? Who the hell looks at it that way. Look at it like this WRX: about 26k brand next with tax. STI: about 35k brand new. IF all you want is speed its as easy as dump the extra 9 grand into the wrx. Im only at around 3k overall so im guessing with 9k into my car i wouldnt even waste gas on STI's n EVO's. Potential in my dictionary means Which car you can make faster in the long run. The sti has higher compression and higher displacement... cant cram as much boost into it. www.easystreetmotorsports.com take a look at their wrx and tell me If you see any STI's that fast.

Yeah, drop 9k into the famed EJ20 and you will be blazing fast. The only thing you won't have is the refinement of the STi. Who cares if your going in a staright line. (don't forget the brakes in that 9k)
post #45 of 53 Old 10-08-2004, 06:00 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
What happens when you drop 9 k into an STi? There is no replacement for displacement. Even if it is .5 liter. Either way, both cars are nice cars, but if you have the money to buy an STi, get it and you won't be disappointed.