LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antyoo
where can i get a vf22 that cheap?

i was planning on stoping at the equivalent of the TXS stage three, but when i can find a turbo for that cheap, it makes me think
I know you cant get them for $600. Not a bad price. The VF34 for $650 is the route I would go though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-24-2004, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
i think i should be close.

here's how i did it for $2245:
Cobb AP ($555 intro pricing)
Helix DP/UP ($400)
Greddy Evo2 ($540)
VF30 ($350 used)
Sti pink injectors ($400)
#18 Old 09-24-2004, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
I went 13.3 at 100.5 with a utec, txs stage 2 map, and a uppipe and turbo back. i used race gas but i didn't hurt my tranny.

I'd definitley get a utec instead of accessport. once you get to your goal, you'll want more. everyone does, and the utec is so easily tunable.
#19 Old 09-25-2004, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
13.4 1/4 mile with just an ACCESSport and exhaust. Must be an incredible driver.....or an incredible lie.
I know two guys in the WA area that run low 13s with just accessport and exhaust. Neither have been through tranny or clutch.
#20 Old 09-25-2004, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

JMB429 is an unknown
On my car i have the full turbo back exhaust , intake, and i brought the boost up to 14.5.
Last night i brought my car to the track and ran a 13.7 at 98mph. If i had the accesport who knows what i would have ran, definetly low 13s, Next mod- accesport
#21 Old 09-25-2004, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

JOHNYCAMP is an unknown
275 Whp

The most important thing to do is to make sure you have someone with an awd dyno in your area who can tune the car when your done.. That can cost you 500 to 2000 dollars depending on mods and the experience of the tuner.... Not all maps work on all cars , even with the exact same mods.
#22 Old 09-26-2004, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

speedywrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to speedywrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antyoo
where can i get a vf22 that cheap?
gruppe-s sells the vf22's for around 599.99 if im not mistaken. Then again they also sell package deals with just about everything you'd need. But other sites sell it for around the same price for just the turbo. Just have to look around a little bit.
#23 Old 09-26-2004, 11:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
I have a VF22 for sale right now. It's got about 3k miles on it. No shaft play. I got it from XX Tuning. the exhaust housing is ceramic coated. I'll sell it for 400 and throw in a hi flow fuel pump. I also have a Hyperflow TMIC in perfect condition for sale. Call me at (860)874-8001 if you're interested. Sorry for the plug but I need the money.

I also really have to stress the UTEC over the Cobb. It's a much better system. Switch on the fly maps. Really easy to use. Definitly worth the money. I used a stock Stage 2 map to run 13.3 with only an exhaust. Good stuff.
#24 Old 09-27-2004, 03:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-ya
I also really have to stress the UTEC over the Cobb. It's a much better system. Switch on the fly maps. Really easy to use. Definitly worth the money. I used a stock Stage 2 map to run 13.3 with only an exhaust. Good stuff.
absolutley... go with a utec over the cobb...

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
#25 Old 09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

wilsonucon is an unknown
Yeh I was thinking I'd use the accessport for a little while and then upgrade to the accesstuner to allow for the tunability the UTEC offers.
#26 Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Then why not get the UTEC to begin with? Why get something that is new and has not proven itself that is supposed to "do everything the UTEC does" when you can get the UTEC and get the years of experience TurboXS has, and the help of many people that have used the UTEC for years?
#27 Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
It will all depend on how much the Accesstuner is. I want to get a UTEC but I am debating getting an Accessport/Accesstuner also. But if the Accesstuner is around the same price as the UTEC it would be foolish to go with the Accesstuner over the UTEC. The UTEC is proven to work and there are many people here that can answer almost any question you have.
#28 Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Accesstuner will be $995
#29 Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
Accesstuner will be $995
Definitely get the UTEC. The UTEC can be had for $925 and is proven.
#30 Old 09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

heticor is an unknown
260 - 280 hp

I found this inf at http://www.spdusa.com/stock_engine_mods.htm . what do you think ?

So, we have a WRX. It makes 227hp and it is just not enough. What do we do to effectively raise its engine performance? What should we avoid?

Do we add six different bigger, stronger, more trick parts or just three or none? As I have explained, the best way to think about turbo engines is that they are just a convenient hot gas generator for a turbine. In the final analysis we will conclude there are a surprising lack of extra do-dads that need added to make some power.

If you have read the other engine sections leading into this article, we are speaking now about running a WRX engine every day on 91-93 octane (some areas in the east get 94, if you look for it and here in Los Angeles we have ready access to 100 octane no-lead. But, this is a story for later.)

At a minimum, changing the rear section muffler to any proven straight through design will noticeably improve spool-up, midrange torque and top end power. This is a simple bolt-on operation. We use the high quality, all stainless Strömung exhaust mufflers with a choice of single, rally car style tip or standard dual tips. These are tasteful designs with a really cool, deep flat four sound enjoyed by many owners. We also usually leave the mid-pipe in place and change out the third cat for improved high rpm power. I would certainly encourage all owners to try these modifications. Better part throttle response at low rpm and noticeably quicker spool-up with more torque over a broad rpm range above 3000 rpm.

We sell 2.5 inch exhaust pipe for road cars, while many others sell 3 inch. Why? While higher power 300+hp engines can benefit from larger exhaust piping, we have found that fully tuned "pump gas" WRX engine benefits from keeping their standard 2.5 inch exhaust pipe diameter. We are not going to make so much power on the high rpm range that 2.5 inch is a restriction. If we go to 3 inch pipe size we create a very lazy spool-up in the lower rpm range with no gain on the top end on our ordinary super gasoline. This is very practical advice. Remember, SPD Tuning Service could make more money if we recommended you change all your exhaust to 3 inch! It would be louder and more expensive, but would not run any better.

Since we live in the clean air era, SPD Tuning Service does not recommend removing the large down pipe cat on road car. First, the down pipe cat is actually the same unit used on the STI 280hp cars. This main down pipe cat is known to run a clear 300-320hp before is considered a power restriction. It is just not a significant restriction at the power levels we can achieve on pump gas. Yes, if we eliminate the main cat there is a mild improvement in spool-up of the turbo, but not huge gains that justify turning you car into a pollution machine. Just do not worry about it. My 260hp WRX runs a down pipe cat. It runs just fine. For a mild tuning of the engine please keep your main cat. The power gains will be quite similar with or without, if other details are taken care of.

There is an up pipe cat ahead of turbocharger that is one of the two main power restrictions on the engine. (What is the other one?) Removing it will improve spool-up almost again as much as changing the rear muffler section. But it will also cause the engine ECU system check engine light to come on. When we remove this cat and replace it with a standard pipe we should reprogram the ecu as it alters temperature and pressure seen by the engine monitoring system. There is another reason we usually do not recommend changing this pipe. A replacement needs to be made with very accurately aligned flange surfaces and of high quality temperature stable alloy if it is going to last any length of time. This makes them relatively expensive, either in initial cost or in later repairs. Our pipe cost was about $420 for a heat shielded, Inconel metal unit that will not fail. We have decided to just use the STI part when requested. Changing the up pipe cat does cause the check engine light to come on, but the third cat and rear muffler section replacements are quite harmless in this regard and we encourage their use. Again, better power, better throttle response, earlier spool-up are all plus effects.

Now, why not just turn up the boost? It is not widely understood just how the WRX engine control unit computer system works. The new WRX engine control computer is fast and extremely powerful. All one would need to do is to gain control of the code and no other engine management computer would be needed. You have your 100 octane gas, you have your engine strengthened internally and a larger turbocharger and intercooler. You adjust your boost, timing and fuel of your ECU to make smooth reliable 300hp. What could be simpler?

Well, it has not worked that way yet. Since they have had no way of understanding how a WRX ECU works, much less a way of modifying the WRX ECU, the first wave of tuners just added a control valve to let the boost rise up to high levels. Their world was 300hp on tap every day. The motors would put it out, too. For brief periods of full throttle running things seemed to work, until many engines were lost to broken pistons or other effects of detonation. Just cranking the boost is a problem because the motor will often have periods were it will detonate above 15.5 psi boost, if no other modifications are made. This can be an expensive lesson. Use caution. Simple is not cool in the turbo engine world.

The second wave made a small piggyback computer to try to force the control signals for boost and timing to bring up the power. There are now piggy back ECU controls availible in the aftermarket. They work quite well within limits. These units are forcing the timing and boost signals coming out of the ECU to achieve more power. However, they are defeating the stock ECU's ability to back off the timing and/or boost should conditions indicate the engine in trouble with detonation. We saw an owner pay big money to have this chip installed and shortly come to us with a 'miss-fire' around 4000 rpm. The engine was detonating with no means for the ECU to correct the condition due to the modified output signals forcing a boost and timing values back to their target values. An aftermarket intake had altered the acceptable target boost values and was causing detonation around 4000rpm.. When SPD Tuning inquired with the manufacture, they said, "I guess we need to pull the timing back a bit more in that area". I guess so! We do not sell these types of systems, although they are in wide spread use, because they do not have any fail-safe provisions. Within limited power targets, using stock intake, larger intercooler with modified exhaust they do work reasonably well. But they are not meant to run on the ragged edge, despite the temptation. They are nothing like what is going to follow.

There is a third wave of tuning for the WRX engine. We are currently using LINK ECU replacement mother boards that have detonation sensing and timing control. Long availible, it provides better throttle response, better midrange power, better top end power and it is adaptable to changing conditions. We expect to have complete programming capability of the WRX engine computer by spring, when we will be doing much the same tuning as with the Link, but at a lower up front cost. We will continue to use the LINK for applications requiring anti-lag and the frequent, rapid field adjustments of rally and serious autocross competition. Both are PC laptop programmable. These can be pump gas tuned to a 270-280hp target and will adapt the power level depending both on the fuel quality and the weather conditions. Depending on conditions will adapt within a 240-280 hp range. The 280hp threshold is a limit both for the stock turbocharger and over time, the stock internal components of the stock WRX engine.

Notice we are not selling horsepower by the dollar. We are tuning the engine to a power level against possible detonation for the fuel it is running. This is the proper approach to turbo engine management. We will not tell you, "for $800 I can give you 'X' power and for $1500 I can give you 'Y' power". It sounds nice, it is simple, but it is not the best way to approach making power. Instead, we are giving the engine ECU a target power level and letting it figure out how much power to make today. Subaru ECU systems have always worked this way. It is one of the great things about these engines.

If one elects to use a ECU replacement or even a piggy back unit, there is two important additional components that should be considered. First, we can now eliminate the up-pipe CAT for better spool-up and high rpm flow to the turbine. Second, the stock intercooler is by standards, quite large, but as we bring up the boost we are also bring more heat into the engine. Compressed air is hot air. By installing a larger and/or more efficient intercooler we can hope to get this heat out of the intake air before it goes into the engine. We offer two options. The STI intercooler or ARC top mount, both with proper inlet trays and air seal, without which they will not work much better than the stock unit.

Here is the SPD engine tuning program for road cars running pump gas and no internal modifications. Our 260-280hp target power range is dependent on the weather as much as the quality of pump gas you run. We feel this power range is the safe limit for the engine's cast pistons and quality, but standard valve materials. It is also the limit of the stock turbo charger's efficiency range.

1) Better flowing exhaust.

2) Reprogrammed or modified ECU program.

3) Larger, properly sealed intercooler, up-pipe conversion. Refined ECU tuning.

4) After our 260-280hp we need access to higher octane fuel and add re-enforced internal engine parts for additional power gains. But that is not why we are here. Just street power, all day, every day.

You may contact me at mshields@spdusa.com for specific recommendations