Subaru WRX Forum banner

2009 wrx turbo into a 04 wrx ?

14K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Boost Addict 
#1 ·
i heard that the new 2009 wrx's have a pretty sick little turbo and it will produce up to 260ish hp no problem. i was wondering if the turbo is a bolt on to my 04 wrx. if so whats the name of the turbo. i got the info from the latest car and driver mag. it says that the 09 wrx is quicker then a stock sti which amazes me because it has 30 less hp and about 15-20 less lbft of torque. will i have to change out my tmi with the 09 as well and will that cause any hood closing problems ? just looking into something different. thanks.

Chris

#2 ·
Here is a short and simple read. http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2007-sti-parts-2008-wrx-23529/ If you seriously wanted to make it happen. You'd have to swap: turbo (given), tmic, install upgraded injectors, upgrade your fuel pump, and hope that the turbo inlet fits correctly. If it doesn't fit, you might have to swap/change that also. After all of that, you'd probably have to have a e-tune or pro-tune. Because there isn't going to be a OTS map for that.

Edit: Sorry, i forgot that you'd probably want to have the UP changed as well. If you send cat shards through the new turbo, you'd be pretty pissed. TBE isn't necessary to make it work. But, it would greatly enhance performance. That brings up another good question. I doubt the DPs are compatiable. But, I wouldn't know. I don't think it's been done for anyone to know yet.

And another thing...you'd have to use 08-09 IC hose from the TMIC to the turbo. Then hope the hoses from the TMIC to the intake manifold fit or cut some hoses to length.

#4 ·
The turbo is a VF52 I believe, a guy just posted about throwing one on his 08. But it would be very difficult if even douable. Plus the VF series of turbos have been known to be a little on the pricey side for what you get out of some of them compared to other turbos. I agree with either getting a Big 16G or maybe for the cheaper a VF43 or 39.

#7 ·
You don't want the 09's turbo. It's not that efficient and it uses a complex layout your car didn't come with. Get a 16G (of any variety). More efficient, more power, easier install, cheaper.

The 09 guys actually want YOUR layout. You don't want theirs ;)

#9 ·
i heard that the new 2009 wrx's have a pretty sick little turbo and it will produce up to 260ish hp no problem. i was wondering if the turbo is a bolt on to my 04 wrx. if so whats the name of the turbo. i got the info from the latest car and driver mag. it says that the 09 wrx is quicker then a stock sti which amazes me because it has 30 less hp and about 15-20 less lbft of torque. will i have to change out my tmi with the 09 as well and will that cause any hood closing problems ? just looking into something different. thanks.

Chris
Hey Chris,

The 0-60 figures the 09 WRX puts down has caused a lot of hype and rumors concluding that it's a faster car. Don't get me wrong, the '09 turbo is certainly capable of STI power, as the vf52 used is essentially a vf48(STI turbo) in a different housing. But it's still not an STI (gearbox, drivetrain, intercooler, suspension, etc...)

The reason the '09 WRX beat the STI 0-60 is two reasons:

1 - The STI is roughly 300 lbs heavier.
2 - The WRX only requires a single shift to reach 60, as it's accomplished in 2nd gear. The STI requires one additional shift, which is worth roughly .3 seconds even in the hands of a professional driver.

#15 ·
Boost Addict: Please disclaim your numbers...your talking stage 2 + protune numbers. I've read your posts. A IHI VF 52 will not produce 290-320 (rough guesses) whp stock. Considering a VF48 won't do that stock either. Not belittleing you, just saying to clairify your not talking stock. Don't want people to get the wrong impressions. I'm actually curious to see what a stage 2 09 wrx setup with a protune can produce. Should be awesome numbers. I know what a upgraded 08 sti can do with a blouch 50 trim turbo and protune can make. There is one locally around here for sale, off the tuner that upgraded it. From a mustang dyno it made 327 wheel horsepower and 329 wheel torque on 93 octane. The link of the car if you want to look at it: Current & Past Projects 08 STI

Edit: Apprantly the 08 STI TMIC is pretty good, if they're running the stocker. Just re-painted with tuner logo. They don't have it listed as upgraded.

#18 ·
That STI made some great power considering the small amount of mods! Aren't Mustang dynos generally the one's that read lower as well? I'd be interested in seeing what a Mustang reads an STI w/ TBE, Intake and Tune.

My tuner showed me a dyno of an 08 STI with intake, catback and tune. It put down a cool 290 whp and 340 wtq on the dyna-pack. I'm realistically looking for ~290 whp, but feel that optimistically with my upgraded TMIC and Downpipe, I should be in the 310 whp terroritory. We'll see within a month :)

And with your civil approach, I have no reason to feel belittled or offended. You're absolutely right, a stock 09 WRX cannot put those numbers down. I have commonly seen turbo models referring to the numbers they are capable of to give us an idea of the power level we'd like to obtain. Case in point, the vf52 can effectievely put out 290-320 whp if properly tuned. However, I can definitely see how some may misinterpret this, so thank you for pointing it out. I'll do my best to be more clear with those figures in the future! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.