2005 WRX exhaust/emissions question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nooget is an unknown
2005 WRX exhaust/emissions question

Hey, Guys -
I did my best to search for an answer, but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I'm looking to buy a used 2005 WRX in a couple weeks. The only mods are the following:
Invidia G200 turbo back exhaust
Invidia up pipe
Agency Power headers

He's throwing in the stock exhaust with the sale. My question: emissions here in Albuquerque are pretty strict. Do you think I could get away with installing the stock exhaust from the downpipe? (i.e. w/one cat) The car has been tuned -- would doing that cause the car to run poorly enough to fail emissions?

It just seems like it will be a lot of work/$$$ to swap out the exhausts just to pass emissions and I'm wondering if I should bother with it or find another car w/stock exhaust. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
If the price is right, and the car is in great shape, get it. If you want/need, swap in the OEM components and reflash it back to stock then go to have it inspected. You could sell the aftermarket stuff or just keep it, put it back on, reflash it and enjoy your stage 2 WRX...

BTW, those are all great parts!
#3 Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nooget is an unknown
Thanks! I guess my only concern is the cost associated with swapping the exhaust back to stock & reflashing. Seems like a pain in the @ss to have to do it every 2 years for emissions testing. It doesn't have a Cobb AP or anything (was tuned in Washington), so I'm not sure how I would go about flashing the ECU back to stock and re-tuning after emissions. The car seems great, though. Really low miles. I figure I can use the cost associated with swapping the exhaust to help negotiate the price a little lower.
#4 Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
There you go...

If I were you, I'd try to get an Accessport, although I'm not sure how could you go about getting a stock map to put into it. You should ask Cobb if you are interested. I have one and have no complains.

Now about emissions tests, are you sure there is no possible way to "pass"? Here where I live we have to get our cars smog tested on a yearly basis... My car is also stage 2 and it "passed" the last time it was "tested", it was just a bit more expensive... if you know what I mean...

Last edited by fuapiti; 07-15-2010 at 04:08 PM.
#5 Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnnys WRX is an unknown
I have the same problem my car needs emissions but i have a stage 2 and dont know if im gonna pass
i have Cobb ap, Invidia N1 race system, and Invidia up and down pipe dose anyone have anyidea how i can pass?
#6 Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
For my emissions test I swapped the whole TBE (downpipe and everything behind) back to stock. I did not switch my (opensource) map because the emissions test was done at a low enough rpm where there was not a significant change in map parameters.

In CA it is the visual inspection (not the sniffer test) that is the cause for changing exhaust components back to stock (the ones that can be easily seen anyway).

Try to find a reliable independent shop and respectfully ask them what they do for this situation for their cars. I'm willing to bet that it is not as painful as you are anticipating. I hope this helps in your decision.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#7 Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnnys WRX is an unknown
tthanks man it would just be so stupid to have to go back and put the stock up pipe back in.