2004 Wagon - First Timer mods - Looking For Suggestions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

frarth is an unknown
Lightbulb 2004 Wagon - First Timer mods - Looking For Suggestions

Hey All,

I know this will be redundant for a lot of you but there is so much content on this forum it is getting hard to search b/c i get too many results. So again apologies ahead of time if this is a little too junior.

About me: I have always worked on my old beater cars but never ever did work on a car when i was thinking mods, only survival. So i have know how and tools (no welding), just zero experience with performance work

So here it is really simple. I have an 04 wagon with 60K miles just out of warranty and i want to have fun. What would you do and in what order (i already took care of wheels, tires, and brakes) if you had about a $2000 - $2,500 budget?

Treat me like i know nothing about the right brands or models; also where is your favorite place online to buy this from?

Thanks all and I hope to share as i learn,
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
My personal reccommendation is go stage 2 with that budget. Stage 2 consists of a turbo back exhaust and ECU reflash AKA engine management. It is safe, reliable and quite a noticeable difference. The easiest EM is the cobb accessport (look it up) but if you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future I would go with the TurboXs UTEC. If there's left over money, invest in a boost/EGT/oil press gauge. Shop at the following links, good luck.

JSC Speed: Performance Parts Warehouse
ScoobyMods.com
Import Image Racing Webstore

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#3 Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
+1 to SWFL. TBE and a Stg2 reflash. Then go with a rear sway and endlinks. Or maybe some lower springs ( if you like that look). Go with some kinda suspension next though. Maybe a lightened pulley system, too. DO NOT GET A MBC!! i regret getting mine now. I bought all my stuff before i got on this site.

Tom
'05 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Cobb AP Stg 2

RIP baby....Here I come STi.
Stupid deer.
#4 Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jcarv20 is an unknown
Stage 2 should put a smile on your face for a while, check out cobbtuning and their stage 2 package, or just their accessport and any turbo back exhaust system. Good luck!
#5 Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
You need a Cobb Accessport,and dowpipe, you can use your stock catback. I would also add an uppipe for quicker turbo spool. This will take care of power for now. I would look for a used AP, this will save money. Just make sure that it is unmarried.
CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT
Like stated above, swaybar will help keep the wagon flat. Any rear bar will work, the front needs to be a wagon bar.
Hotchkis Competition and Street Swaybars for WRX, STi, and WRX Wagon, from JSC Speed I run these.
Some have used the Whiteline 27mm STI bar, this is not needed unless you are going racing.
Whiteline 27 mm adjustable front sway bar on 02 Wagon! - Brakes, Steering & Suspension - NASIOC
This will eat up most of your budget. But the will be fun.