Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 Wrx Wgn Upgrade Questions

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Whats up guys, this ispart of my research on upgrading my wrx wgn.

Ill be on my way back from IRAQ pretty soon, and im looking to drop a good amount of cash into my wrx.

Im looking to push about 450 horses safely for the tracks and daily driven.
Thats along with suspension upgrades , engine upgrades, and Tranny.

Now I dont want to swap motors. Whats the MAX HP I can push on EJ20 STOCK?
Where can I find full upgrade kits for the internals so I dont Blow my motor?

Next, Full Turbo Upgrade and switching to FMIC. Where can I find a good kit, with a reliable Snail.

Im looking for quick spools on early rpms.

Also The best and easiest Engine managment Hardware.

Is there a full step by step guide on properly "bettering" My subbie?

Thanks!!

I Live in Killeen TX

EDIT: Its never been raced and has 90K Miles on it. No mods. and clean engine bay extremely
Owned by a dentist

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

#3 ·
Your probably shouldn't double post...just edit the first post. Secondly...I think you're asking for the impossible. 450WHP is going to be quite a task on a EJ205. If your saying crank...then it's a little bit easier, but not by much. It sounds like your talking WHP to me. I don't know a lot of the answers to your questions, but I can say some people on here might have a better idea. Your not going to get low rpm spool if your looking for 450WHP. Plain and simply, won't happen. You're going to have to throw a massive turbo on it and it won't spool until the top end. A GT35R turbo wouldn't even be big enough for the numbers your looking for. Probably have to do a 2.2 Stroker kit and severely upgrade the internals on your EJ205 to get it to handle the numbers your looking for and the trans is going to have to be upgraded. PPGs or M Factory Gears. Your going to shred the 5 speed stock gears in no time, if you attempt to drag it. Let alone the clutch will fry. If your seriously looking for a good starting place to read up. Then read this...Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Edit: Not trying to hate or be a dick. I'm just stating it's going to cost a lot and take a lot of time to do what your asking. Please...read up some and you'll understand.

#7 ·
320 to the wheels isnt that bad at all. Many guys get about that and are pleased. Depending on driving, you really wouldnt have to upgrade the tranny, or even the engine. I have seen (on NASIOC) a few 02-05s running 400+AWHP with stock internals. The power curve looked liked it sucked, but it was holding up. Just start simple, TBE, EM, maybe some sways. Get used to that and then move up. If it has been stock this long and all, you should go in steps or "stages". The questions you asked are common, and have been done so many times before. If you just read and search on any WRX forum and learn and understand the car, you will see where some of us are coming from.

#8 ·
I wouldn't recommend 400+AWHP on stock internals though. Because if you intend on using that power, the engine isn't going to last long. Plus, it has the power band/curve that mosc oh so much loves. "Postage stamp power curve". Simply because the EJ205 won't be able to spool a large turbo until the top end. Once it kicks in...it'll hit hard and be short lived. Forcing a immediate shift and hoping you didn't just fall completely out of boost. nick4592 from boostbuddy has a 02 wrx wagon with 433 WHP. But it also has a crawford built EJ25x (probably ej257), ppgs, and a S256 twin scrool turbo. In short not cheap and not a EJ205 anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.