2002 WRX Thermostat Help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Marne_Aeok is an unknown
2002 WRX Thermostat Help

I recently replaced the radiator on my aging WRX due to the top part of the rad busting at the seam and spraying coolant like a fountain. That was about a month ago.

Well now that the weather is getting colder i had to turn on the heat today for the first time since i bought the car (well besides testing to see if the heat worked after the rad install which it did. both ac and heat work great).

After a few min of going down the road i notice my temps are SOARING. The needle almost got to the red line. I immediately killed the heat.and the temps went back down slightly. We made sure to refill and burp the cooling system completely when we changed the radiator but we never replaced the thermostat.

Could this be the reason why its doing this? I topped off the coolant in the reservoir and also the cap up on the block itself. Making sure to squeeze the upper hose a few times to remove any bubbles in system.

If indeed the thermo needs to be replaced is this a valid item to purchase as a replacement? Im not looking for a race ready component. This subie is strictly a daily beater I do like to take care of it tho.

She has 163k now ^_^

Beck Arnley Thermostat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to sorsy
your thermostat may be stuck in the closed position...ya can change it to fix that problem...how many miles on your car? it is a easy task to do as well....just my thoughts.
#3 Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I'd make sure there are no air bubbles in the system. They can be difficult to get out if you're not used to doing it on our cars. I had good success with Crucial's 160deg thermostat in replacement of my stock one failing. Couldn't tell you much about the one you mentioned.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxyo is an unknown
yes try to burp your system i was having the exact same problem and i burped my system today( wait till the engine is cold and pull the rad cap and sqeeze the rad hose till the air bubbles stop and then refill coolant as needed) and it fixed my problem
#5 Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
1st try burping the system.

I had a similar problem and I just drained the system. Then put int a 30/70 mix of Coolant to Distilled Water ratio along with one bottle of Red Line Water Wetter. I also put in a Crucial CoolSafe thermostate (if it Fails it will remain in the open position). After that I have not had an overheating problem and my temps are cooler than ever.

:: Crucial Racing Systems - CoolSafe Thermostat

GrimmSpeed - Thermostat

Those 2 thermostates are better than OEM and have the fail safe to remain in the open position.