Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002/2003 Rad cap pressure

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  titter 
#1 · (Edited)
so i chaned my rad a while ago and i have the new setup with 2 rad caps. the dealer gave me a 137kpa (19.8psi) rad cap for the front and im noticing a few drips from where hoses seal to the rad and im about 1/3" down from the fill line in the overflow tank (i assume its too much pressure and leaking out the hose clamps)

after researching im finidng alot of comflicting information mainly becuase its old info. i know 19.8psi is NOT for the front as the wrx cooling system flows at 16psi and the sti flows at 18psi. this cap the dealer game me is higher than both of them.

now i have a 108kpa rad cap i got from the front rad of an 02 outback sport which is pretty much the same engine as the wrx ya?

so i have a 108kpa rad cap, a 110kpa rad cap, and a 137kpa rad cap.
can somone tell me what cap should go where?

#3 ·
so ditch the 137kpa?

sorry i meant which 2 of the 3 caps to use out of what i have.

also theres been no overheating issues or anything

#5 · (Edited)
isnt that STI though? thats what i had 137 on the rad 110 on the res and i was noticing some dried/baked coolant where my hoses clamp to the rad and overflow & under the rad cap. its not alot, but a couple drips and splotches here and there. i dont have a sparkling engine bay but its relativly clean and easy to spot new messes. im only down a few 100mL of coolant.
also i dont think i can tighten my clamps anymore without damaging them.

maybe i have a different problem altogether? i thought i had too much pressure and was leaking. or maybe im just confused as to how a two rad cap system works lol

#6 ·
i had a different problem all together...

pro tip: dont use zip ties in place of hose clamps :)

otherwise things are back to normal. thanks basco!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.