Subaru WRX Forum banner

2.5rs turbo the motor???

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SuBeast 
#1 ·
aiite i just pick up a new turbo for my wrx and i plan to give my stock turbo and my intercooler to my godbrother that has a 2001 2.5rs what does he need in order to turbo out the 2.5rs motor ?????

#2 ·
The 2.5RS motor does not hold boost well. The compression is way too high and it's not designed for it. The best option for him is to swap in a WRX motor and ECU.

Using a WRX's TMIC and TD04 on an old 2.5RS motor is not a good idea.

#6 ·
I had two 2.5RS and was thinking of the same thing, it's a lot of work and you could probably get it done but expect a lot of things to go wrong, he would need probably a new fuel pump, injectors, exhaust like mosc said it's hard, the kits the sell for 2.5's usually don't boost more than 6 psi and tops i've seen is 10 and that's beyond pushing it. Most N/A motors don't do turbo's well. I have seen a supercharged 2.5 before and that was pretty quick still i think was only running like 4.5psi. I know it's different than a turbo obviously.

#7 ·
I know a guy with a 4 door 2.5Rs that s boosting over 400whp on race gas... He, of course, is supposedly running a WRX motor. I can't remember which turbo he is using. I thought it was the STi turbo, but they can't support that much hp, can they?

He gave me a ride in it on the freeway, he didn't even downshift from 4th gear at 60mph, and that thing hauled some serious butt!!!! I could hear the wastegate open and it was screaming, that thing was fun. :D

#10 ·
the whole turbo on a n/a isnt smart cause there are alot of things that you must do in order to make it work and if u do, it would turn into a money pit real fast. so if u plan to do any swap just do it with the wrx and sell those other parts on ebay.

#12 ·
Yeah that's what i thought. He's probably just telling people it's a STi turbo... He's probably running a 20G or even something bigger. When I rode in it, it did feel like it had a lot of lag, and I couldn't find his boost gauge to watch either...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.