2.0L to 2.5L engine swap in 2002 WRX - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to sorsy
Ok well..since i have already ordered this complete new STi crate motor (EJ257) i will just pull my heads off the (EJ20) and put them on the new EJ257 block. Should i still use the same intake off the EJ20 or use the new one off of the EJ257 motor? is there a differance? and once agian since the rings are cooked in my EJ20 should i have the heads looked at before i drop them on the new block? thanks agian guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

PltmreX is an unknown
use the intake of the 257 as it does not have TGV's and is a one piece design.

Aaron
'02 PSM Sedan
Xiled C.C.
239 STX
post #18 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sorsy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to sorsy
hey hey guys. i was just going to pull the motor on the car would take the whole front end apart ie fenders grill bumper intercooler, frame supports and just unbolt the trany too and just slide everything out like that? of would you just unbolt the motor from the trany and just go straight up with it?
post #19 of 41 Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

PltmreX is an unknown
take hood off and remove engine and tranny as one piece. Dont over complicate the removal.

Aaron
'02 PSM Sedan
Xiled C.C.
239 STX
post #20 of 41 Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

erikkellison is an unknown
If I threw a rod (horrible knocking sound, low power), should I get a EJ257 short block? I've been wanting an excuse to go 2.5. Anything else I'll need to replace (besides getting a new turbo)? Tranny? Electrical? Has anyone posted a guide to swapping the short block? I figure I'm capable, and I have a neighbor who knows quite a bit about cars. Anyone actually done the hybrid swap?
post #21 of 41 Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Instead of resurrecting a dead thread....try searching/looking around in the engine section of the forum or clyinder head/shortblock section.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #22 of 41 Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

erikkellison is an unknown
I did, I just found that there was more info elsewhere, and I now have my answers.
post #23 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

whein93 is an unknown
I see this is a old post but I picked up 02 wrx for trade with my truck. He said it was an sti full swap motor and trans. But my engine block says ej20. And it is a 5 speed. But has a sti top mount intercooler and Vf34 turbo not vf39 like he stated and the tuner on it is a Cobbs access port for sti motors with vf39 turbo and car spits real bad and has alot of codes the alleged
Motor swap was from a 04 sti. Can anyone help me verify this? If so I need to know what size inj. Are in the car what the fuel pump puts out and what not so I can get this car tuned properlly before something goes catastrophic and I melt something
Attached Images

post #24 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The 04 STI comes from the factory with a ej257 2.5 litre engine, 6 speed transmission, 535cc sidefeed injectors, 145 lph fuel pump, and a vf39 turbo. There is no off the shelf cobb map for your mods. As I stated in the other thread, get that car to a tune shop who knows Subaru's ASAP!
Epictofer likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #25 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To be honest that looks like a WRX intercooler painted with the STI logo, or maybe just bad lighting.
Take a few more pics if you could.
Fuel injectors,boost controller and turbo with other engine mods you can see.
Maybe someone will be able to help you a bit.
post #26 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Could it be the EJ20 2.0 WRX motor with an STI intercooler?
post #27 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Im sorry @whein9, that was my biggest fear when I was looking at used Subarus.

Sounds like the previous owner either purchased it "modded" or got the wool pulled over his eyes as well. I would like to think the best in people but this one sounds bad.

Im glad you are taking it to a tuner and getting the info straight.

Good luck getting everything in order

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #28 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

whein93 is an unknown
Well it has a ej20 with sti injectors and this Cobbs tuner for an sti P0340-cam shaft position senor a circuit bank 1 or single sensor

P0500- vehicle speed sensor

P0102- mass or volume air flow circuit low input

p1592- neutral position switch circuit low input

P0444- evaporative emission control system purge control valve circuit open

P0132- 02 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 1

P0131- 02 sensor circuit low voltage bank 1 sensor 1

P0113- intake air temperature circuit high input

P0245- turbo charger waste gate solenoid a low

Ran troubleshooting on Cobbs these are what popped up but no engine lights on the engine light has been unplugged can I get a number to contact someone for some help on how to get this thing toa fairly stable point it does not vote or melt anything?
post #29 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

whein93 is an unknown
Sti intercooler and ej20 block.. I'm trying to get a hold of the guy who actually did the work. I feel like this is a headache. Should I just get my truck back?
Attached Images

post #30 of 41 Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you are reading all those codes and the CEL is dark then yes something has gone very wrong. Either the bulb is out or the system has been modified such that the light does not come on. O2 sensor codes almost always throw CELs.

As for that intercooler the "STi" looks newer than the rest of the intercooler. I dont see the normal spattering of bugs and road grime that you would see on a 10 year old IC. They sell the STi stencil on ebay so anyone with some red paint can apply one, and not that its a big deal at this point but is a duct tape splice on the bypass valve vacuum line?

I dont know what shape your truck is in but at least you know what your up against with something you have been driving for a long time.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement