Subaru WRX Forum banner

1st mod

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
hi everybody i just recently purchased an 05 wrx, and im lookin for my first mod im lookin into a catback exhaust. any suggestions thats within a reasonalbe price range thanks

#2 ·
A CBE is just for sounds. Check out youtube for what sound you may be looking for. And check out classifieds on here, NASIOC and craigslist. Buying used isnt always a bad thing, but can sometimes be risky. Or just save up until you can get what you want.

#4 ·
I would also save a little bit of money and invest in an accessport. i think its probably the best performance boost for the money. I'm also lookin for a few guys to go to the Summer Nationals in Worcester in the beginning of July. Its a little trip for you but its worth it. Let me know what you think...

#6 ·
The only aftermarket cat back that I have personal experience with is the HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti exhaust. I spent around $750.00 for it brand new, so I don't think that would necessarily qualify as "reasonably priced" for most people, but I just love the way it looks with its stainless steel construction, angled exit, Carbon fiber wrapped canister, and Titanium "blued" tip. It's 3" all the way through, feels lighter in weight than the stock cat back, fits perfect, and sounds awesome. I would say it's one of the louder cat backs on the market, but certainly not the loudest. If you look around, you might be able to pick up a used one. It's manufactured by a reputable company, so the flanges are thick and the welds seem to be of high quality, so I don't imagine you'd experience any material failure for the life of your car - but it's just a pipe and most exhaust shops could probably repair it for you if anything were to happen. My .01 :)

#8 ·
EM first, the 05 ecu will not be happy with a CBE and no EM.
The AP will go for about $250-400 depending on who has it for sale. I would look into the AP V1, older and cheaper than the AP V2.
When it comes to exhaust, you get what you pay for. The HKS stuff is very nice, I run a Turbo XS TBE and it's way up on the loudest scale, but I would stay away for the "cheap" ebay exhausts.

#12 ·
An 05 ECU wont be happy with a CBE? Where did you get this info from? I ran my 07 with CBE for awhile before my Cobb AP came in. Not a problem at all, and there wont be. Im not running my 05 with a catless TBE just a cell for being catless. I know Im not getting the power out of the 05 but Im dumping money in the 07 first. There are HUGE differences in the V1 and V2. You cant log with the V1, its much slower. But the V1 is cheaper. I dont know if it comes with the same maps as the V2 either.

#9 ·
Thats what i was thinking the AP V1. I had the HKS and it is very loud. i now run a Turbo XS stealth back with a sti axleback. Stay away from cheap parts it will cost you more in the long run. You can always find good used parts on craigslist and nasoic classifieds. If i were you i would not buy anything until i had the AP. I dont know who you got the car from and what condition its in. But if i were you i would do some basic maintenance first. Change your transmission and differential fluid, air, fuel filter, spark plugs. These are things you can do yourself with basic tools. Subies are great but you have to take care of them.

#13 ·
I agree with newtothegame... you can install an aftermarket cat back and you'll be fine without EM. When you replace the stock downpipe with an aftermarket downpipe, that's when you really need the EM. I'd also recommend the AP V2 over the V1 - yeah, they do basically the same thing, but the extra features of the V2 and user-friendlierness (forgive me, I'm tired so I made up a word) make it better all-around.

#16 ·
oldfartracer, hope I didnt come off hostile and figured with your knowledge thats what you meant. But I didnt want the OP reading it and getting the wrong idea. But again you can run the 05 without EM, just not getting the most out of your setup. It doesnt have the issues the 06-07 do.

#17 ·
But again you can run the 05 without EM, just not getting the most out of your setup. It doesnt have the issues the 06-07 do.
04+ require EM to run a TBE safely. There is a longer delay in the open to closed loop fueling that can be dangerous and cause a lean condition.
Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
What Subarus NEED engine management? While every Subaru will benefit from engine management, the 04+ turbo models (except STI) "require" it. The reason for this is the EPA mandated greater restrictions on ECUs for 2004+ and allow manufacturers to exclude one model. Subaru chose the STI as the exclusion, so the restrictions are not on the STI. The restrictions have to do with the open and closed loop fueling. To put the restrictions in a nutshell without being technical, there is a delay between open and closed loop fueling that can allow your 04+ Subaru to run lean during this crossover point in how your car gets fuel. Lean is dangerous as it produces detonation which is the #1 factor is blown pistons. In stock configuration, 04+ turbo models are fine, but modifications such as exhaust work or higher really necessitate the use of engine management as those mods cause the fueling issue to rear it's head. Yes, you can run certain mods for a short time until you get engine management, but you should never kid yourself on 04+ turbo models that bolt on modifications are fine without engine management.

#18 ·
And so it begins...

I put a Borla CBE on my car within the first 2k miles. I'm at 31k now and I just did the Cobb Catted Down pipe this weekend and flashed to Stage 2.

Save up and buy one part at a time. Even if they sit in the garage for a few months until you can install them. Buying used is a good way to go. I got a used STI up-pipe for $50 and a Cobb Catted Down Pipe for $300. I only get the parts from someone local so I can inspect them. It takes longer, but that way I know what I'm getting.

One more thing. I'd stay away from the Ebay parts. You get what you pay for.

2k Miles - Borla CBE
11k Miles - GPMoto Elbow and K&N Panel
24K Miles - Cobb Stage 1 --Most noticeable mod
31K Miles - UpPipe/DP Stage 2

#19 ·
Kjott, thanks for correcting me. I dont know if its becuase my 05 is an auto but it doesnt have a problem. It should be getting a reflash, maybe when I drop my 20G in, if not will have to wait until the engine/tranny are built on my 07.

Blk05, if you have to do it one part at a time, nothing wrong with that at all. I have been saving for what seems forever (3 yrs actually) finally getting around to where I should eventually be happy with my car.

#24 ·
From everything I've read you shouldn't need a short ram intake until you're past 300 whp.

The Cobb notes just say it's safe to run their intake, it's not required.

I just went for the drop in K&N panel filter. Cobb said this it OK too.

#27 ·
That doesn't seem too bad. The AccessPort V1 can do everything you need it to. I've never used the 0-60 timing that the V2 offers.

A good rule of thumb for used car parts is 50% of the price new. Take your time combing the nasioc forums and find something local so you can go inspect it before you buy. It will be worth the wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.