16G turbo, what is needed? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

technine is an unknown
16G turbo, what is needed?

I am new to WRX, but not new to turbos in general. I use to be a Honda Turbo guy and had a few turbo hondas. They were fun, but I got sick of front wheel drive no traction until 3rd and all the problems that come with turboing a car that wasn't really meant to be turbo'd (even though they were really quick, cheap, fun cars).

I have a 04 WRX with Greddy cat back, pretty much all stock. I've been researching as much as I can and I have come to the conclusion that I will need a bigger turbo (thing is tiny). I have thought upgrading to a nice 16G turbo and get a better downpipe + tune (either accessport or tatrix cable and laptop at a tuner).

My question is do I need anything else? Are the injectors enough to handle 270awhp? Will I need to upgrade to larger injectors? What about fuel pump? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If your running a map. You'll need what the map calls for. Otherwise, You'd be severly holding the turbo back without including 650cc or 750cc injectors, a fuel pump, a larger TMIC, and a Protune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You should probably do you the injectors and fuel pump. As for injector size, use the tool I have linked below. The pump just go with the walbro 255 or avo 245 pump and you'll be all set. Walbro is 1/3 the price of the AVO, the AVO is supposedly a better pump. Who knows, go with what you want. For target hp, they want crank hp. For bsfc, use .6 to be safe. Generally you don't want to tune to higher than 90% IDC, but the lower the better.

Deatschwerks

-Chris
#4 Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Fuel Pump
650-850cc injectors
Uppipe
Downpipe
Larger intercooler
ENGINE MANAGEMENT

Or else leave your turbo alone. It ain't nearly as small as you think it is

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

technine is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
You should probably do you the injectors and fuel pump. As for injector size, use the tool I have linked below. The pump just go with the walbro 255 or avo 245 pump and you'll be all set. Walbro is 1/3 the price of the AVO, the AVO is supposedly a better pump. Who knows, go with what you want. For target hp, they want crank hp. For bsfc, use .6 to be safe. Generally you don't want to tune to higher than 90% IDC, but the lower the better.

Deatschwerks
Just what I was looking for!! Thanks!!

I'm still getting familiar with these engines, but I guess the principals of turbos apply. Should I target the AFR's at 11:1 or 12:1, I don't know the sweat spot for these motors and I do have a wideband. I have to figure out the tuning software before I even start tuning, but I think I'll get a protune for this one and go from there (have several places around here that do EVO's and Subys).
#6 Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

technine is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Fuel Pump
650-850cc injectors
Uppipe
Downpipe
Larger intercooler
ENGINE MANAGEMENT

Or else leave your turbo alone. It ain't nearly as small as you think it is
You know, I know I will upgrade the turbo, but I might just see how far this turbo can go. I figure I could get a downpipe, uppipe, engine management and larger intercooler (for more boost out of stock turbo) and still transfer these over to the bigger turbo.

Is there anything to look out for (quirks) with these motors? Are the tough and can handle boost well or are the fragile and need stronger components for different HP levels, I already hear that anything over 350 hp might need an upgraded (STI) transmission. When do you see the stock clutch slipping and need a stage 2 or 3 clutch?

Thanks everyone, this is some great advice and points me in the right direction.
#7 Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Garage
Yeah, the main thing to watch out for is the tranny. That means stock clutch unless you plan on spending $4-7k on a new transmission. Upgraded clutches are a big no-no. If the clutch can't hold the power, your tranny can't either. Trust us.

The EJ205 benefits from a small hotside turbo (like the TD04 and TD05) or else it gets really laggy. There's also a big switch between open loop and closed loop fueling with the 02-05 WRX (16-bit ECU) which makes tuning a pain. A 3-port BCS can really help but needs to be properly tuned for. Also, make sure whatever solution you come up with, the ECU is still controlling boost. It's much more sophisticated than any MBC or EBC.

#8 Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
with just a 16g i wouldnt worry about internals with a good tune you should be fine i ran a evo 3 16g on my car for a while at 17psi with no issues they are tough motors. and my tranny and factory clutch held fine just dont drive it like you stole it. and be very carefull if you want to launch it
#9 Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Garage
The EJ205 is quite sturdy.