04 WRX...where to start with mods? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

8thWonder is an unknown
04 WRX...where to start with mods?

I've had my 04 WRX for about a year now. I bought it from a service tech at a Subie dealership that had already made a few basic mods:
-SPT high flow intake (without the heat shield)
-STI exhaust (yes, STI...not SPT)

The only things I've done to it so far have been to the sound system (full-din DVD deck and bigger Infinity Reference Speakers), but I just had to order new tires, and the mere thought of buying stuff for my car has got me itching to start modding the engine.

I'm curious as to why the previous owner would put the STI exhaust on, instead of upgrading to SPT, Cobb, or something comparable. From what I've read, the only difference b/w the stock WRX exhaust and the stock STI exhaust is that the STI has a catless uppipe and is .25" wider, with no notable performance gains (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

To start, I just ordered the heat shield for the SPT intake. I don't expect this to change anything, but it was cheap and satisfied my urge to buy something engine-related ASAP.
I'm leaning towards getting a Cobb AP next. Is this a logical starting place, or should I begin elsewhere? (I'd prefer to keep the exterior looking as stock as possible.)

Thanks for your opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Heres a good place to start:Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

8thWonder is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Heres a good place to start:Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
wow, lots of great info there. thanks!
any thoughts specifically regarding the STI exhaust on the WRX? should i do away with this and upgrade to SPT or Cobb?
if i get the Cobb AP, will the combo of a WRX engine with STI exhaust make for less-than-ideal results using an OTS map for the AP? (i realize that any mod deserves a re-tune, i'm still just a little puzzled as to the benefits of using the stock STI exhaust over the stock WRX one...if there are any)

after reading some of Unabomber's FAQ's, i'm considering new intercooler hoses as a cheap but apparently effective early mod. will be searching the forum for reviews/suggestions today, but would love any insight if someone has a strong opinion on this.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thWonder View Post
wow, lots of great info there. thanks!
any thoughts specifically regarding the STI exhaust on the WRX? should i do away with this and upgrade to SPT or Cobb? Yes
if i get the Cobb AP, will the combo of a WRX engine with STI exhaust make for less-than-ideal results using an OTS map for the AP? Yes, do not stray from COBB's notes (i realize that any mod deserves a re-tune, i'm still just a little puzzled as to the benefits of using the stock STI exhaust over the stock WRX one...if there are any) So am I, it's just a 1/4 inch bigger (see 1st answer)
after reading some of Unabomber's FAQ's, i'm considering new intercooler hoses as a cheap but apparently effective early mod. will be searching the forum for reviews/suggestions today, but would love any insight if someone has a strong opinion on this.
Look into a bigger top mount (STi or similar)

^^ Some editing is messed up but you get the gist

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement